The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Just now, Michael1812 said:

If I were the Toronto Arrows, I’d be making serous enquires into purchasing the Wolfpack’s name and image rights. People in Canada really don’t care about League v Union. If the Arrows could rebrand as the Wolfpack and play out of lamport, they could pick up a large following based on that alone.  

Quite possible. But if MLR survives, and a rebranded Wolfpack is part of it, is still doesn't mean that the club would have succeeded as a transatlantic rugby league team. It's a very different proposition. 

I hope we get some detail of the rejected bid, and the clubs explain their decisions. Then we can truly see if clubs went in with their minds made up to vote no regardless, or whether the bid wasn't satisfactory. 

I've loved watching the Wolfpack games over the last few years - the two MPGs at Lamport were some of the best televised sport I've ever seen. I also genuinely feel sorry for the Canadian fans who adopted the team. We have to acknowledge that as a sport we've never cut loose so many fans before in our past contractions. 

But we should also acknowledge that even 10'000 fans on their own was never going to be enough to make the Wolfpack succeed, the costs of running a transatlantic team needed millions pumping indefinitely, even beyond the TV money. So in my view it was right that SL took a view on whether having had them go bust once, the bid on offer was strong enough to assure that it was unlikely to happen again. 

It seems those assurances weren't given. Perhaps we'll never know the detail, in which case the myth of the betreyal of Toronto will grow over the years. So it would be wise to make as much public now as possible so when we go round this subject again in the future, the facts are there for all to see. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

LiVolsi actually made his 'presentation' from his car. Yet another show of lack of respect.

The big clubs who voted yes can afford to take the hit if as expected Toronto hit the wall again but with no proof of funding it is unsurprising that the other clubs were not impressed.

This is a good day for Rugby League and I feel a good day for the likes of Toulouse and London who now have a better chance of Super League especially if Neil Hudgell's plan for a 14 team league is adopted.

Mate we are never going to have a 14 team super league again. It's heading for a 10 team competition and some turkey clubs have just voted for Christmas

The fundamental issue was could LiVolsi afford to underwrite the expected losses. He has declined to show proof that he could do that. It’s difficult to see how any other decision could have been made in those circumstances. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

20 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I had my doubts on the bid - seemed to focused on his grooming brand, with little interest in TWP as a club, and not submitting proof of funds, which appears to be the final straw.....................but i'm livid with how it's been dealt with, how the sport is governed, the double standards (what other SL clubs would pass that process?), the lack of vision or strategy..............am so disillusioned now. TWP offered a glimmer of hope to many, which has now been taken away. 

I think the next Sky deal (which will have been discussed at the meeting) is lower and they'll now cut to 10 teams, and this is just the first part of it. So who else is next to be culled?

Its alright mate, our club will be fine. I hope now though that they use all the mechanisms possible to get as much out of the current deal as possible, including questioning the funding of other clubs. As the report said, if the commercial advantage is "nil" what is the point in investing.

a warning to anyone thinking of expanding the game out of the m62 corridor - DONT EVEN TRY!  thousands of fans thrown by the wayside - no wonder ru is pessin all over us as as a sport- we are a joke- and leeds v wakey every 3 days is boring 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

23 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I had my doubts on the bid - seemed to focused on his grooming brand, with little interest in TWP as a club, and not submitting proof of funds, which appears to be the final straw.....................but i'm livid with how it's been dealt with, how the sport is governed, the double standards (what other SL clubs would pass that process?), the lack of vision or strategy..............am so disillusioned now. TWP offered a glimmer of hope to many, which has now been taken away. 

I think the next Sky deal (which will have been discussed at the meeting) is lower and they'll now cut to 10 teams, and this is just the first part of it. So who else is next to be culled?

Like i said in a earlier post it's a toss up between Salford, Castlefod and Wakefield who are heading for the championship

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its alright mate, our club will be fine. I hope now though that they use all the mechanisms possible to get as much out of the current deal as possible, including questioning the funding of other clubs. As the report said, if the commercial advantage is "nil" what is the point in investing.

So you have indeed raised an interesting point here. SL clubs have in effect re-introduced some form of licencing............and there's nothing to say they won't use it moving forwards. Some clubs should start to feel a bit twitchy

6 minutes ago, Derwent said:

The fundamental issue was could LiVolsi afford to underwrite the expected losses. He has declined to show proof that he could do that. It’s difficult to see how any other decision could have been made in those circumstances. 

Smartest, simplest, probably most accurate post in 400 pages.

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

So you have indeed raised an interesting point here. SL clubs have in effect re-introduced some form of licencing............and there's nothing to say they won't use it moving forwards. Some clubs should start to feel a bit twitchy

Indeed.Especially those with run down grounds that shouldn't even be playing in Super League.

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

These will be the same clubs itching to get back on the furlough scheme asap.

10 minutes ago, Derwent said:

make a decision with the emphasis on financal  proof been having to be laid on the table within 2 weeks of re instatement- if not then after that period the place is withdrawn

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Probably because like us fans, he dislikes loop games or maybe loop games aren’t as financially lucrative for the second home fixture vs someone as the first. 

Took his wallet getting hit to find that out?

37 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Rumour has it the new owners couldnt show they could fund the team. Makes senses why they were rejected

I had seen that he was saying that he did have the funds but would only show them if they were admitted. If that was the case then it was right for some clubs to be wary. I think Wigan and Warrington would have voted yes if they were convinced about the business plan but I think most of the chairmen who voted no had already made their minds up and weren’t for turning.

Typical RL. They had no idea what the plan was with Toronto long term. Most of the clubs that have said no are, how can I say it politely, Are not the most forward thinking of clubs at the best of times. The whole game needs a overhaul. Plans need to made and targets set. These need to be transparent to everyone.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Probably because like us fans, he dislikes loop games or maybe loop games aren’t as financially lucrative for the second home fixture vs someone as the first. 

Or because it makes Hull KR less vulnerable to relegation

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Or because it makes Hull KR less vulnerable to relegation

I don’t think it changes things that dramatically, but that’s my opinion.

Given less funding and having to compete with more clubs for players, some of the clubs who are deemed the better sides in the Championship and would likely to be in with a shout or promotion can offer better facilities, a better lifestyle away from the game than in East Hull and quite possibly a better financial remuneration, I wouldn’t be too keen on cutting my slice of the pie smaller or taking that risk. It would make more sense for them to keep their share of the pie bigger and not want more sides in the competition, IMO.

Archived