The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

It should be the RFL taking control. We need a leader with bowlocks and drag the game forward. SL shouldnt be separate from the RFL. Shows you the power of our sport when clubshave the same powervas the RFL vote wise.

In other words let the tail wag the dog.  

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Oh no, I've upset you! Take the chip off your shoulder and don't get upset when someone mentions Wakey pal if you don't want things to be too off topic

Tommy lad.... thaz been in whinge mode since the news broke....

Short of stamping your feet like my grandson you are doing your best to come across like you're having a tantrum cos it hasn't gone the way you wanted it to go.....

Relax cocker. Have a rolo. 

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Short of stamping your feet like my grandson you are doing your best to come across like you're having a tantrum cos it hasn't gone the way you wanted it to go.....

I mean this is literally the place to do it?

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Is that what they call a ' splif ' in rovrum ? 😂

16 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

He might have had the funds in his bank account but, if reports are correct, he refused to show the panel. 

I don’t know why he needs to, unless owners of the other clubs also have to show their bank accounts. 

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I can't wait! Can you? Its all anyone in Wakefield is talking about!

About 2 years ago i went to a game at Wakefield and before i went to a pub less than  1 1/2 miles from the ground and talking to the Landlord/manager he didn't even know that they were playing that afternoon, let alone who they were playing How is that for poor marketing by the club.

Well one thing has been proven today and that is there is nothing super about SL.

We had a wonderful opportunity to establish the game in Canada and that is most  probably lost.

Hope Sky cut SL funding to the bone, it has  very little to offer.

32 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It gets better. One of the areas of concern is that they wanted to make money.

And the SL committee who found no material value needs to have a word with... checks notes... its own and Sky's marketing team, who based the whole season's marketing on Toronto and SBW.

Come on Tommy, you know what 'aggressive' means in business speak, it means highly optimistic bordering on the undeliverable. 

Basically the LiVolsi bid was based on increasing revenues far more than Argyle managed without any obvious route to how to make that happen. 

It's a blooming shame, but letting them back in was another pull-out in the making. Toronto would be the new Bradford - and not in a good way! 

Yes, you're right that the TWP,  and the SBW signing in particular, were great promotional boosts, and when we were getting it for free it was definitely an argument for having the Wolfpack in, one that I made many times. 

But is that boost worth paying 1.8 plus travel costs for? Probably not, in my view. 

Now, that's not to say that SL clubs will now use that money wisely to promote the competition. I have no illusions on that front or on the narrow self interest that drove the decision making for some of the more desperate clubs. 

But just becasue the people who lead our sport are often lacking, doesn't mean that this decision is automatically a wrong one. 

As the saying goes, even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and this, sadly, is probably one of those times. 

Just now, The Future is League said:

About 2 years ago i went to a game at Wakefield and before i went to a pub less than  1 1/2 miles from the ground and talking to the Landlord/manager he didn't even know that they were playing that afternoon, let alone who they were playing How is that for poor marketing by the club.

If you don't laugh you'll cry

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

Shocking, really shocking. 

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Come on Tommy, you know what 'aggressive' means in business speak, it means highly optimistic bordering on the undeliverable. 

Basically the LiVolsi bid was based on increasing revenues far more than Argyle managed without any obvious route to how to make that happen. 

It's a blooming shame, but letting them back in was another pull-out in the making. Toronto would be the new Bradford - and not in a good way! 

Yes, you're right that the TWP,  and the SBW signing in particular, were great promotional boosts, and when we were getting it for free it was definitely an argument for having the Wolfpack in, one that I made many times. 

But is that boost worth paying 1.8 plus travel costs for? Probably not, in my view. 

Now, that's not to say that SL clubs will now use that money wisely to promote the competition. I have no illusions on that front or on the narrow self interest that drove the decision making for some of the more desperate clubs. 

But just becasue the people who lead our sport are often lacking, doesn't mean that this decision is automatically a wrong one. 

As the saying goes, even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and this, sadly, is probably one of those times. 

Its unbelievable for people who deemed there to be "no value" in a team they themselves based most of their marketing on!

1 minute ago, frank said:

Well one thing has been proven today and that is there is nothing super about SL.

We had a wonderful opportunity to establish the game in Canada and that is most  probably lost.

It's a good point. Why would Sky pay a lot of money for Super League when the league they are getting is far from super. Few big clubs, few big names, no ambition. Despite Sky paying 100s of millions to Super League over 25 years little has fundamentally changed and in many areas it has arguably got worse such as stars on the pitch and the public profile of the game.

I remember the first 2 Dragons matches away in SL were if my memory serves me correctly Salford and Castleford sitting next to BG at Castleford he could not believe what a dump it was.

Salford though back in the days of the nightclub was brilliant for after match entertainment in more ways than one scampi and chips in a basket please  LOVELY 🙂

Really disappointed to see Toronto refused re-submission back in to SL. If Livolsi couldn't/wouldn't provide details of funding i can understand it going the way it did, which was always going to happen in such a situation. Some big question marks around this whole process though and the way certain things have played out.

The only silver lining to this particularly dark cloud would be the instant admittance of Toulouse as a direct replacement.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Bulls plan Odsal return ;  Have Wigan got a new badge?  The great RL world view ffs. This is the final nail for me,  i`m off. ( I know most people won`t even notice. lol ). Really, banal arguments circulating around the M62 whilst the real world ignores us. Lions led by donkeys has never been more apt. Bye SL.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's a good point. Why would Sky pay a lot of money for Super League when the league they are getting is far from super. Few big clubs, few big names, no ambition. Despite Sky paying 100s of millions to Super League over 25 years little has fundamentally changed and in many areas it has arguably got worse such as stars on the pitch and the public profile of the game.

well given how much Sky help to push NFL and other sports as part of a partnership I would suggest Sky are part of the problem with recognition too...

It's a sad day. I really hoped Toronto could have continued, with an acceptable package. It's to be hoped that they can continue in some form or other in recognition of the efforts and expenditure of their loyal fans and any other sort of fans. However, I doubt that is possible. Some may even wish for the complete eradication of the club at any level.

Sure, times are very very hard at present but we have to work on the basis that at some point things will get back to normal.

If we are to continue with 12 clubs than for me, the 12th club has to be Toulouse. Two SL clubs in France might generate a more sustainable presence in France, as long as the tv money can be sorted. 

10 minutes ago, frank said:

Not a rugby league fan then, eh?

Archived