The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

Literally 7 months ago, pre-covid, it was shaping up to be a great Super League season. We were looking forward to the thought of Toronto playing to big crowds at home, discussing Toronto very likely playing Australia in Toronto and an end of season Ashes series at some big stadiums.

From such positivity things have become a complete disaster and yes Toronto may have made some mistakes but it is overwhelmingly Covid that has caused this. The work shouldn't be lost due to a once in a lifetime event.

Yes, Covid was the trigger to all this, but the truth is this would probably happenned in the next year or two anyway, because the club was still reliant on millions being pumped in by its owner to make it work.

If 2020 had gone as planned, would it have meant that fabled lucrative North American TV deal was signed and new investors were tempted in? We'll never know. 

But now we were being asked to contribute to the running costs of the club in the hope - and its never been more than hope - that those things would appear. 

For me, saying that was a gamble we weren't prepared to take is a reasonable response. Although we must acknowledge that there are downsides to it too. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I struggle to see any positive future for elite rugby league in the northern hemisphere. There is no plan. Even people like me who have loved the sport all their lives are disillusioned with the lack of vision and ever widening gap between us and the NRL and the other code. Watching the game here is depressing as it’s clearly second rate and is only going to get worse. 

Toronto were something exotic, and in the absence of anything else exciting represented hope that we could be something more than a sport in terminal decline. It may only have been hope and perhaps I was being delusionally optimistic but now even that has gone. 

No one is going to invest in the sport. There is no way of making money and even if someone did each club would ###### it away like they have done for at least 25 years. It’s hard to see anything other than rugby league only being significant in Australia in 5-10 years, with a few northern towns playing in front of smaller and smaller crowds in a part time league of increasing irrelevance. Maybe the NRL could just take over and have done with it. 

I cried when my club Gateshead disappeared in 1999, and I may just shed another tonight as I realise I no longer love this sport enough to go through the pain of following it any more. 

33 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

will prob just watch nrl and a few amateur games from now on - pooperleague is a bore

pooperleague as a bore it would still be with Toronto... 

I disagree with your comment but Toronto on their lonesome don't and would not make much difference to whats on offer, certainly from a TV perspective. 

The only loss for me is a trip to Toronto.   A Toulouse trip would be a good alternative

13 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

About 2 years ago i went to a game at Wakefield and before i went to a pub less than  1 1/2 miles from the ground and talking to the Landlord/manager he didn't even know that they were playing that afternoon, let alone who they were playing How is that for poor marketing by the club.

That’s disgusting, can’t believe a landlord of a pub 1 1/2 miles from the ground didn’t know there was a match on,

Up the Trin 

3 hours ago, cookey said:

Predictable I'm afraid, a handful of clubs now around £100,000 better off. So after 25yrs still no strategy for SL

In what way are clubs £100,000 better off ?

Are they not worse off in hgaving to share the Sky money with a twelfth club ?😑

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Whoever runs super league should hang their heads in shame. As your all probably aware by now I’m the one that knows expansion doesn’t work. But here was a real opportunity. The good press was enough to keep them in. The way they were treated was appalling. They weren’t even accepted to super greed till the 11th hour and denied access to the sky pot. 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

7 minutes ago, redjonn said:

pooperleague as a bore it would still be with Toronto... 

I disagree with your comment but Toronto on their lonesome don't and would not make much difference to whats on offer, certainly from a TV perspective. 

The only loss for me is a trip to Toronto.   A Toulouse trip would be a good alternative

Bug ger off..... toulouse can stay in the Championship..... its my fixture of the season!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

As I've said before and say again...

3-5 years ago nobody strategically would have suggested expanding SL to have a club/team in Canada. If anyone had before Toronto themselves popped up they would of been thought mad, not having sensible thoughts, not thinks things through, etc etc..

Yet here we are and some people saying they will give up with the Sport because of Toronto not being back in SL... yet 3-5 years ago it didn't even cross their mind.

I am sure its was a difficult decision and not having heard any presentation from Toronto I can not comment on their proposal.

Was it not an option for them to be punished by being put down into the championship.. was that not acceptable to Toronto or RFL/SL. Was SL the only option.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I love the city I've spent my teens and subsequent in.

Don't love the way the club is ran

Up the trin

If we are honest they shouldn't even be in Super League with that dump of a ground after promising the RFL over 20 years ago they would build a new ground or bring Belle Vue up to a decent standard and still we wait

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

If we are honest they shouldn't even be in Super League with that dump of a ground after promising the RFL over 20 years ago they would build a new ground or bring Belle Vue up to a decent standard and still we wait

Don't disagree at all, especially when lower division clubs have invested in or secured modern stadia on the promise of Super League licensing looking kindly on them

36 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Tommy lad.... thaz been in whinge mode since the news broke....

Short of stamping your feet like my grandson you are doing your best to come across like you're having a tantrum cos it hasn't gone the way you wanted it to go.....

Relax cocker. Have a rolo. 

Just need Mr Beaumont's offer to be accepted and I reckon I'd hear his head explode from here......

6 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

The vote was 9-4, Trinity and Cas vote for TWP they're still out. It was an unsustainable venture, clearly the bid didn't convince the major players in the division that LiVosi could make it work. 

I thought Leeds voted for Toronto.  Are Leeds not counted as a major player in the division.

31 minutes ago, redjonn said:

As I've said before and say again...

3-5 years ago nobody strategically would have suggested expanding SL to have a club/team in Canada. If anyone had before Toronto themselves popped up they would of been thought mad, not having sensible thoughts, not thinks things through, etc etc..

Yet here we are and some people saying they will give up with the Sport because of Toronto not being back in SL... yet 3-5 years ago it didn't even cross their mind.

I am sure its was a difficult decision and not having heard any presentation from Toronto I can not comment on their proposal.

Was it not an option for them to be punished by being put down into the championship.. was that not acceptable to Toronto or RFL/SL. Was SL the only option.

Indeed, well put. 

As for other options, all the SL clubs could vote on is whether to directly admit them to SL without promotion. (Remember they unilaterally withdrew and had thier place cancelled) 

Whether they are offered a place in the Championship or L1 is up to the RFL, and it will be up to Argyle or any future owners to decide whether to accept it. 

The important question that needs to be asked is whether this sets a prededent for SL blocking Ottawa or a relaunched Toronto from entering SL should they be promoted in the future.

To me it's unclear whether SL can do that unilaterally if a club has been promoted through the RFL structure. 

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

Indeed. 

All the SL clubs could vote on is whether to directly admit them to SL without promotion. (Remember they unilaterally withdrew and had thier place cancelled) 

Whether they are offered a place in the Championship or L1 is up to the RFL, and it will be up to Argyle or any future owners to decide whether to accept it. 

The important question that needs to be asked is whether this sets a prededent for SL blocking Ottawa or a relaunched Toronto from entering SL should they be promoted in the future.

To me it's unclear whether SL can do that unilaterally if a club has been promoted through the RFL structure. 

OK, thanks for your response.

35 minutes ago, redjonn said:

well given how much Sky help to push NFL and other sports as part of a partnership I would suggest Sky are part of the problem with recognition too...

The question should be why are Sky doing that when they are paying Super League £40 million a year? They are not a charity. Maybe they are no longer happy with the product they are getting in return. 

Archived