The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Nah dave i think the problem is if any of this criteria of "process and due dilligence" was applied to the clubs in Super League, 6 would almost certainly fail in some aspect, potentially more. Its the exact same criticism posed at licensing, which could hardly be seen as anti flat capper position.

Many clubs have been knocked back from SL. Some have been relegated when they didn't finish bottom to facilitate expansion. 

RL was never in the market for spending millions in Canada.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what happens when clubs are built on the whim of a rich individual without any foundation. It's sad, and it'd been awesome if Argyle would have stuck around and been able to fund his club for the next 20 years, but it wasn't to be, and there seems to be many things on social media about the new owner not being particularly impressive, nor his bid. 

I'd still say yes everytime a rich person wants to get involved and join the pyramid, but once we have to start pumping millions in it becomes a whole new ball game. 

I feel for those TWP fans who have fallen in love with their team, they don't deserve what their owner did to them. 

Just now, Damien said:

The question should be why are Sky doing that when they are paying Super League £40 million a year? They are not a charity. Maybe they are no longer happy with the product they are getting in return. 

Yep possibly but as per the press release from SKY and NFL a key aspect is Sky helping to push NFL  further into the UK in partnership wit NFL.

That is both parties as part of a partnership. One difference is of course NFL have plenty of broadcasters wanting their business and so a value add is Sky helping with their ambitions.

I guess as you say Sky don't have a wish to help RL... I'm guessing more because their new owners are more American focused and wanting to help push their sports globally to the benefit of the sport and broadcaster.

I guess we are going a little off topic.

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

Yep possibly but as per the press release from SKY and NFL a key aspect is Sky helping to push NFL  further into the UK in partnership wit NFL.

That is both parties as part of a partnership. One difference is of course NFL have plenty of broadcasters wanting their business and so a value add is Sky helping with their ambitions.

I guess as you say Sky don't have a wish to help RL... I'm guessing more because their new owners are more American focused and wanting to help push their sports globally to the benefit of the sport and broadcaster.

I guess we are going a little off topic.

This x 1000

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is what happens when clubs are built on the whim of a rich individual without any foundation. It's sad, and it'd been awesome if Argyle would have stuck around and been able to fund his club for the next 20 years, but it wasn't to be, and there seems to be many things on social media about the new owner not being particularly impressive, nor his bid. 

I'd still say yes everytime a rich person wants to get involved and join the pyramid, but once we have to start pumping millions in it becomes a whole new ball game. 

I feel for those TWP fans who have fallen in love with their team, they don't deserve what their owner did to them. 

Well said. 

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the irony is that this twp thread has created more interest in the game than any other- doesnt that tell you something?

I guess in the same way a drugs charge against a player would generate interest too...

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the irony is that this twp thread has created more interest in the game than any other- doesnt that tell you something?

Only like the various P and R or licencing ones have in the past 

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’d like to know how the 9 clubs who voted against intend to take the sport forward having closed the door on North American expansion.

Yes, hopefully strategic intention... France being a more obvious candidate than Canada

Just now, Damien said:

So game wide issues affecting all clubs but no club threads.

Toronto being readmitted to SL is a game wide issue , it directly affects all the other clubs ,especially if they had folded again in 9 months 

I'd sooner they had been frozen till 2022 , which would have given them time to find a better bidder than the one we got 

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

Yes, hopefully strategic intention... France being a more obvious candidate than Canada

Surely there was an opportunity today to say, “we’re not going to accept Toronto, but we are moving in direction a, b and c”.

Instead the split vote, the further prevarication suggests no clear strategy or plan by the leading clubs.

That very vacuum allows critics to suggest that we are going nowhere and that today is bad day for the sport.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Surely there was an opportunity today to say, “we’re not going to accept Toronto, but we are moving in direction a, b and c”.

Instead the split vote, the further prevarication suggests no clear strategy or plan by the leading clubs.

That very vacuum allows critics to suggest that we are going nowhere and that today is bad day for the sport.

yep. hard to disagree

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Toronto being readmitted to SL is a game wide issue , it directly affects all the other clubs ,especially if they had folded again in 9 months 

I'd sooner they had been frozen till 2022 , which would have given them time to find a better bidder than the one we got 

Yeah its not like no one posted on this thread before Toronto withdrew is it 😂

I do agree with your second statement and said as much a while ago as I never saw the point of them being based in England for at least half of next season anyway,

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

We are in the middle of a global pandemic , right now is not the time to be planning world domination 

Archived