The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, binosh said:

It states on twitter via John Davidson that the 3 who voted for Toronto did so to "unseat" Elstone.

Two things, this further re-enforces the fact it was the right decision to refuse re-entry for Livolsi and secondly it appears we are about to have a large Civil war within British Rugby League.

Will this be a breakaway moment?

It will be a wonderful League with Saints, Leeds and Cats playing each other 27 times a season. 😉

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Phil said:

Five in the WF postcode area, Trinity, Cas, Fev, Dewsbury and Batley 

that's true  batley and dewsbury both have wf post codes due to tory boundary changes but they arn't in wakefield  both   in kirklees alongside huddersfield

so now rugby union can on the back of rugby league expansion take those roots and start up a well funded club that will no doubt become a force in rugby union and the league players will never get there money 

i suppose a certain hull kr owner can make some money out of chasing claims made by the players ect .

1 hour ago, westlondonfan said:

Now that this decision has really sunk in I can’t help feeling that this outcome might have really long term adverse affects on the credibility of the sport. I feel really deflated about it.  I mean there was the build up of all this interest in Toronto from 2017 onwards, BBC coverage, getting promotion, coming back after we pipped them in the MPG, and then signing SBW for them to be knocked back at this stage now at this late stage. Can a sport keep enduring these sort of disappointments? I wonder. The only really successful expansion team since the foundation of the SL, despite all the talk, has been Catalan Dragons.

Let’s at least have a good look at Toulouse coming up now at the very minimum? 

Anyone could have been a success if they were fast tracked and exempt from relegation 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

50 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

so now rugby union can on the back of rugby league expansion take those roots and start up a well funded club that will no doubt become a force in rugby union and the league players will never get there money 

i suppose a certain hull kr owner can make some money out of chasing claims made by the players ect .

Those Roots?

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Anyone know if Toronto have an option to appeal?

All these crocodile tears about TORONTO -They were full of has been sl players.They were going to finish bottom of sl.In my opinion they never got ten thousand at each home game.For a start two ends were virtually empty .It could have been fantastic but too many obstacles to over come.I hope Canada can get a RL of their own going.

9 minutes ago, silcoates said:

All these crocodile tears about TORONTO -They were full of has been sl players.They were going to finish bottom of sl.In my opinion they never got ten thousand at each home game.For a start two ends were virtually empty .It could have been fantastic but too many obstacles to over come.I hope Canada can get a RL of their own going.

That’s great. If you’d looked, I agree with the decision to not let them in, however, in light of what’s come out of Salford and KR today, I was wondering whether they had the option to appeal and whether they’d bother. 

3 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Never a couple of truer paragraphs than these:

“Is the answer expansion? I don’t know the answer, but I know without the opportunity to expand it limits the opportunities out there.

“Collectively, the game really needs to sit down and think where it’s going to try and expand away from the Northern territories, it needs to stop dipping its toe in and hoping for the best. It has to throw itself in 100%, not have a play around and hope it works, and if not get rid with minimal effort or minimal effort to help. That will never work.”

4 hours ago, paul hicks said:

I think you'll find that there already is a union club, founded on 60 years of grassroots union in the province, and not anything TWP did.

22 hours ago, The Future is League said:

So if any British clubs do the same in the future you will be in favour of kicking them out then, yes or no.

If any club makes the same mistakes as Toronto wolfpack they should be kicked out and I think this desition sets a precedent for future punishments, it's funny that your question implies that you feel Toronto wasn't treated fairly when the worry was that Toronto wolfpack would be given special treatment. 

4 minutes ago, The Lad said:

If any club makes the same mistakes as Toronto wolfpack they should be kicked out and I think this desition sets a precedent for future punishments, it's funny that your question implies that you feel Toronto wasn't treated fairly when the worry was that Toronto wolfpack would be given special treatment. 

I'm not sure i fully understand your point.

You could argue TWP weren't treated fairly. They certainly weren't on a level playing field with the rest of SL regardless of whether Argyle agreed to the terms or not.... which he did.

And if TWP were ever going to succeed they could only do so by being treated as a special case.

I feel sorry for those thousands in Toronto who have taken to the game I love.

Argyle took them right up sh it creek.

There was some noise about Toronto Wolfpack switching codes and joining Major League Rugby. Possibly becoming the 2nd Franchise in Toronto or moving to another city. The current buy in is around 4-5 million, but a Vancouver team is worth over $25 million as Rugby is major sport there and already has a large supporter base.

39 minutes ago, The Lad said:

Hull KR just unilaterally withdrew and Salford owe creditors £3.5 million. 

11 hours ago, TheReaper said:

I think you'll find that there already is a union club, founded on 60 years of grassroots union in the province, and not anything TWP did.

yes i know but TEP have brought a whole new set of supporters to the rugby game which of course can now only be good for rugby union to exploit  

“There’s still an opportunity to make this work, but they need to change their tune or allow the consortium to put a proposal together for the future. Maybe you expand the league and get rid of some teams that don’t invest in it. If they don’t do that, how can the sport ever prosper?”

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

“There’s still an opportunity to make this work, but they need to change their tune or allow the consortium to put a proposal together for the future. Maybe you expand the league and get rid of some teams that don’t invest in it. If they don’t do that, how can the sport ever prosper?”

Interesting and interesting that Super League declined to comment. There is certainly a lot more to come out in the wash.

Theres no going back now though. TW are persona non grata clearly. The only way back is for them to apply for admission back into the Championship, and maybe by the time they qualify for SL again the game will once again be under the control of the RFL, which many feel is just a matter of time.

I wonder if any of the other parties interested in TW prior to Livolsi getting the nod would now be interested in taking them into the Championship?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, EastLondonMike said:

Theres no going back now though. TW are persona non grata clearly. The only way back is for them to apply for admission back into the Championship, and maybe by the time they qualify for SL again the game will once again be under the control of the RFL, which many feel is just a matter of time.

I wonder if any of the other parties interested in TW prior to Livolsi getting the nod would now be interested in taking them into the Championship?

There really is no point in them joining the Championship and playing in England. The only way anything could happen is if SL agree for Toronto and someone else to be admitted to a 14 team Super League in 2022. If Toulouse were admitted next season too that would be a pretty fantastic outcome but unfortunately its probably just a pipe dream.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

There really is no point in them joining the Championship and playing in England. The only way anything could happen is if SL agree for Toronto and someone else to be admitted to a 14 team Super League in 2022. If Toulouse were admitted next season too that would be a pretty fantastic outcome but unfortunately its probably just a pipe dream.

Yeah you are maybe right. Unless they did receive some sort of support from the RFL for a season.. who knows. Would love to see Toronto and Toulouse in but personally not keen on a 14 team SL at the moment. Though who knows what the make up of our clubs will look like in 6months time, let alone towards the end of the 2021 season. A 12 team SL with both Toronto and Toulouse in could be a possibility, albeit a rather unlikely one.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

LiVolsi ;

“There’s still an opportunity to make this work, but they need to change their tune or allow the consortium to put a proposal together for the future."

It must be a worry for Elstone that they won't go away.

It will be interesting to see if Hetherington et al bring pressure to allow Toronto to submit a new proposal.

After all, what has Mr Elstone to fear from what they might come up with ?    oh hang on......

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/nov/04/consortium-behind-plans-revive-toronto-wolfpack-unhappy-with-rejection-super-league-carlo-livolsi

Archived