The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

“There’s still an opportunity to make this work, but they need to change their tune or allow the consortium to put a proposal together for the future. Maybe you expand the league and get rid of some teams that don’t invest in it. If they don’t do that, how can the sport ever prosper?”

Unless someone wants to invest in playing in a league of relegated teams [the Championship] it won’t work for Wolf Grooming. It was Super League or bust.

and that's it in  a nutshell it's all about wolf grooming not the wolfpack not rugby league in canada not building a team  in toronto that kmans grandkids can come and watch

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, POR said:

Unless someone wants to invest in playing in a league of relegated teams [the Championship] it won’t work for Wolf Grooming. It was Super League or bust.

and that's it in  a nutshell it's all about wolf grooming not the wolfpack not rugby league in canada not building a team  in toronto that kmans grandkids can come and watch

He's talking about the Consortium taking over, that's obvious. I don't blame him for not wanting to take over if they aren't allowed in Super League and the message that sends. It's hardly a positive signal for ever getting in Super League again. That's not to say another consortium wont be interested but I doubt it.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

He's talking about the Consortium taking over, that's obvious. I don't blame him for not wanting to take over if they aren't allowed in Super League and the message that sends. It's hardly a positive signal for ever getting in Super League again. That's not to say another consortium wont be interested but I doubt it.

really 

We could have made money  with endorsements of our [Wolf Grooming] products, and that would have led to other sponsorships.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

“There’s still an opportunity to make this work, but they need to change their tune or allow the consortium to put a proposal together for the future. Maybe you expand the league and get rid of some teams that don’t invest in it. If they don’t do that, how can the sport ever prosper?”

Well that's two different sporting systems talking past each other right there... (without prejudice to whether either philosophy is a good idea)

"expand the league and get rid of some teams if they don't invest in it" might be the way things are done in the US (it is) but along the M62 are *any* of the club owners interested in investing more money in league shareholdings alongside their club ownership? Or in a position to do so? Really? 

Even in RU, the  Premiership A and B shares that each club has (cant remember which way round it is but one you get by being in the prem, and one you can buy after something like 4 years of being in the prem from the ex prem club in the championship - if it's been down there that long) are loose change - single figure millions. Introducing that to SL is either going to see half the clubs out or be set so low that you might as well not bother.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

So sad that Super League will never have a stable of sponsored groomers.

You not seen the Nivea or Gillette adverts including all the Liverpool players? 

We need more sponsors, and more individual sponsors. 

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You not seen the Nivea or Gillette adverts including all the Liverpool players? 

We need more sponsors, and more individual sponsors. 

I even saw a Nivea one with some random Scottish RU player the other day. I'd say 99% of the population wouldn't have had a clue who he was and he was still being used as the face of Nivea.

Sponsorship and the game and players making money though should obviously be frowned upon and will never catch on.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I even saw a Nivea one with some random Scottish RU player the other day. I'd say 99% of the population wouldn't have had a clue who he was and he was still being used as the face of Nivea.

Sponsorship and the game and players making money though should obviously be frowned upon and will never catch on.

I know. We're too big and rich to need it. Its why our kits are walking billboards for local firms

Little there in the article to take away that we didn’t already know. We knew they didn’t want to pay for teams to travel over, we knew they wanted the central funding, we knew they promised sponsorship through their company, we knew they only wanted to be in Super League. We also knew that the way in which the game was run was broken and not fit for purpose, as well. 

Not sure why he’s expecting Super League to come out and admit it was not a fair process. Whether it was or not, they’re just not going to backtrack in that way, so he’ll be waiting a while. 

Would also suggest that the door is firmly closed and there’s no chance of an appeal. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

The England/GB RL team had Gillette as it's main sponsor for a number of years. Why should a SL club having a grooming product be an issue?

2 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

The England/GB RL team had Gillette as it's main sponsor for a number of years. Why should a SL club having a grooming product be an issue?

Absolutely nothing. But sadly there was no evidence that having a stable of Wolf groomers would amount to a hill of beans.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I think the idea was to start with the Wolfpack sponsor - catch the eye of further advertising/sponsors to raise the profile.

This guy did okay - once he left the circus.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/nick-youngquest-paco-rabanne-invictus-fragrance-ad-interview

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

3 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Theres no going back now though. TW are persona non grata clearly. The only way back is for them to apply for admission back into the Championship, and maybe by the time they qualify for SL again the game will once again be under the control of the RFL, which many feel is just a matter of time.

I wonder if any of the other parties interested in TW prior to Livolsi getting the nod would now be interested in taking them into the Championship?

Who says the Championship & L1 clubs would vote to let them in ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, UBranger said:

Just had a gander at rugbyleague.com. I can't see a mention about TWP! ... and RL complain about the media lol. 

Because  in reality the decision was superleague not RFL as FEV chairmen said 

“Two years ago, when the Super League broke away from the RFL, we as a club, fought tooth and nail for the RFL to keep their power as it was obvious to everyone in the game what would happen once the power was handed to the individual clubs and not the governing body.

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

But sadly there was no evidence that having a stable of Wolf groomers would amount to a hill of beans.

But we'll always have Paris!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

14 hours ago, UBranger said:

Just had a gander at rugbyleague.com. I can't see a mention about TWP! ... and RL complain about the media lol. 

Go to the chipshop, they should be utilizing some of Tuesdays 'old newspapers' now, it's old news being kept alive by a few on here who have seen their own ariss.

Archived