The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

7 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

Presumably the other clubs knew where Toronto was when they invited them in, in the first place?

Come on, at the time of the initial agreement SL thought they would fold or relocate to somewhere reasonable well b4 they ever came knocking at their door. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Phil said:

We say this is “the greatest game of all” but then tell teams, clubs, towns from outside the M62 corridor “sorry you can’t join in” 

As McDermott reminded us they didn’t get a share of the sky money. Aren’t Catalan “guests” and not members of SL?

So Toronto are just another lost opportunity along with PSG, welsh clubs, Russia, Georgia et al 

pathetic

Catalan are members of SL, but guest, not member of RFL. 

Toronto were admitted to the RFL pyramid. 

They were admitted into SL. 

People need to stop saying we didn't let them in. We did. 

They behaved poorly, were pretty rubbish and left SL of their own accord. 

I haven't seen their entry to know whether they should be back in. Anybody who complains they should be in without knowing their business plan are acting like the RFL has in the past, not doing due diligence. 

34 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

This forum is sadly littered with people who can't see the wood for the trees on this. Most likely because they are a different demographic and don't understand the insta generation. It's quite clear most clubs/the game doesn't either. They are the future and they are aspirational. Kids these days don't aspire to play for their local town team. They want moments, glamour, highlights they can post - you only have to see how succesful insta influencers are and how much they are worth. And where are they posting from? Glamorous places - whether that's cool, hip or fancy bars/hotels/restaurants in trendy UK cities such as Manchester, Leeds, London or cool, hip and fancy destinations such as Dubai, Maldives, cities such as New York, Sydney, LA, Toronto. They are dreamers - Toronto were aspirational and something people could believe and strive for. It was also an opportunity to change the mindset of our sport as a northern working class sport. That we may ultimately be, but does that attract sponsors, and brands that are also aspirational? Of course not........we had an opportunity to re-position ourselves and have sadly blown it (albeit i recognise the financial viability of Toronto's submission may not have been robust enough). RL/SL as it is, littered amongst small, deprived, working class towns in the north (bar Leeds, Catalans and perhaps Warrington which has become quite sprawling) is so far from aspirational or attractive to the youth of today, sponsors and commercially savvy brands that it's beyond belief. Foot shot again 🙄

Even you are admitting you're clueless now...............I saved you the time with this earlier 🙂

Top post

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I haven't seen their entry to know whether they should be back in. Anybody who complains they should be in without knowing their business plan are acting like the RFL has in the past, not doing due diligence. 

The thread should be closed here. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Let’s get this right.

For all the genuine interest and excellent crowds (and some great people as part of their fanbase) they generated, Toronto were style over substance BS merchants who ultimately let down the game, didn’t put rugby balls in kids’ hands as per their mission statement and left bills unpaid with seemingly anyone associated with them. 

They simply couldn’t be trusted and paid the price for that. Despite the holes in their business plan - and the lack of evidence for their commercial value to the wider game - the vote may have gone another way if they’d been above board. 

Covid was obviously a factor but it has to be remembered that Toronto were 0-6 and the novelty value was running thin when the season was suspended. We’ll never know for sure but they were favourites to be relegated. 

Would Argyle have stuck around after this year even without Covid given the utter horlicks they’d made of recruitment?

Tonight Brian McDermott repeatedly said Argyle had a ‘turbulent’ attitude to financing Toronto pre-Covid, when it struck he dropped them like a stone.

My point is if I was a Toronto fan I’d be just as frustrated by the owners and directors of the Wolfpack as with Super League clubs and directors. The ‘Ooh, Super League are so selfish and nasty and it’s all their fault’ attitude is a pathetic one.

A really good summary. 

They've brought some great innovations and great enthusiasm, but attitude towards other clubs and the unpaid bills throughout their existence stinks. Having a "they need us more than we need them" attitude towards their fellow clubs was not so clever when they needed their support.

A shame because the potential for expansion into North America has been severely damaged by those supposedly working towards it, though I know many here go for the easy route of blaming SL.

I’m really getting mightily sick of this thread and how many times a day I have to come to it because of reports. 

Some people need to get thicker skins, especially if they raise controversial points. Others need to stop baiting others because they can’t tolerate people with different views to theirs.

I can’t be bothered digging through these two reports that are open because it’s much the same, yet again.

And, if you bring rugby union into a rugby thread then you really have little ground for complaint when someone snaps at you...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's just a surprise that players who have not been paid,a former head coach - with some success in the sport,and many of the rugby league loving supporters new to the game and only able to attend a small fraction of the games played,wanted the club to be re-admitted.

The club had already survived some controversial appointments.

I can't recall too many M62 Super League clubs disappearing after their first set of financial irregularities.

Fantastic how all those decisions were made and a 12 club Super League and promotional videos from overseas were put together - almost before word,and decision,got out.

Still,we know those who support the governing  bodies,all their decisions,and despite how the sport appears to any right thinking individual,considers the sport can actually conduct due diligence and all is well for the greatest game, as it continues to fragment and disappear.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I’m really getting mightily sick of this thread and how many times a day I have to come to it because of reports. 

Some people need to get thicker skins, especially if they raise controversial points. Others need to stop baiting others because they can’t tolerate people with different views to theirs.

I can’t be bothered digging through these two reports that are open because it’s much the same, yet again.

And, if you bring rugby union into a rugby thread then you really have little ground for complaint when someone snaps at you...

Just ban um 😁

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Was it running thin? Toronto at home on a televised Thursday night was a better crowd than a non televised Friday night against a well followed Hull KR.

The rest is conjecture.

Was that because everybody thought they'd signed Sonny Bill Williams ? 

And not a lookalike ?

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It's just a surprise that players who have not been paid,a former head coach - with some success in the sport,and many of the rugby league loving supporters new to the game and only able to attend a small fraction of the games played,wanted the club to be re-admitted.

The club had already survived some controversial appointments.

I can't recall too many M62 Super League clubs disappearing after their first set of financial irregularities.

Fantastic how all those decisions were made and a 12 club Super League and promotional videos from overseas were put together - almost before word,and decision,got out.

Still,we know those who support the governing  bodies,all their decisions,and despite how the sport appears to any right thinking individual,considers the sport can actually conduct due diligence and all is well for the greatest game, as it continues to fragment and disappear.

Is it a surprise that players who are owed money wanted a Yes decision that would see them paid? I'd have thought that was an obvious conflict of interest on their view on whether the bid was right for SL. 

Your point about others suffering financial irregularities means little - Toronto left SL of their own accord. 

Other clubs putting a bid together - well talk has been around for a while that a mini-licensing process may decide a 12th team if the TWP bid failed. It seems prudent that clubs would put effort into a sales pitch. 

Your last paragraph is your usual nonsense - you do realise that you are now on the RFL's side - an organisation you regularly slate. 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Sums it up well

On 06/11/2020 at 10:47, Whippet13 said:

Thousands of fans just thrown away, completely insane.

I do wonder if the decision was directly influenced by the SL plan to cut £800k off the 12th club's funding. 

TWP said in advance they must have full central funding, but it now looks like SL had no intention of ever paying it.

Again its pathetic read Darcy lussick tweet.

On 04/11/2020 at 13:09, Tommygilf said:

Hull KR just unilaterally withdrew and Salford owe creditors £3.5 million. 

Hull KR should get a points deduction at the start of next year, Salford have been deducted wins this season. To compare wolfpack to Hull KR who have only withdrew with three games to go instead of 20 and Salford who have been punished is a gross simplification.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

EmODrq1XUAEeokU?format=jpg&name=medium

The WP have brought more globall publicity  to SL since they entered, than  rest of  the league together.If the clubs had embraced the entry of the WP things may have looked much better.Unfortunately  they could only see short term gain.

17 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

From that Sun story:

“One of the main issues is a report compiled by Super League, with additional input from Rugby Football League chairman Simon Johnson, Andy Anson and Matthew Wheeler, into whether rugby league can succeed in Canada.”

Do you know what would be interesting? If they compiled similar reports for all the areas in the UK where RL is currently played. Wonder what that would throw up?

Archived