The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

They don't need a report to tell them this resurgent Wolfpack is a total farce. The chancer that took over the pieces of the Argyle disaster simply doesn't have enough money for a transatlantic sporting venture. If he had enough money he'd be in. He's nothing but a chancer trying to Hoodwink the League again. 

That sounds about as scientific and well thought-out as the report. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A brief peruse of Twitter and Facebook will find snippets of the hatchet job report.

Quite ridiculously it seems Twitter following was not included in "Social Media" coverage for example. It won't surprise anyone to know that Facebook skews older and Twitter younger.

There is also a paragraph about the 4 year old Toronto struggling to attract a major fee paying sponsor. This, from an organisation who's just negotiated a free pizza deal for prime advertising and in the past had truck banners in contra for naming rights. At least Toronto's contra deals included Transatlantic air travel...

They even spelt Maple Leafs wrong to only add to the (un)professionalism.

I await the same report dedicated to the saturation of the West Yorkshire or Greater Manchester sports markets meaning any additional teams (and indeed the high number of current teams) would be unviable. Some people are even suggesting its time for Super League to exit the congested sports market!

Bottom line is, the report is nonsense and only further backs up claims of a Kangaroo court.

7 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

That sounds about as scientific and well thought-out as the report. 

As I say you don't need a report, the bloke was sat in his car on an important conference lol. Provided no proof of funds and banged on about grooming products wtf. 

14 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

He's nothing but a chancer trying to Hoodwink the League again. 

Er, that makes it sound like he has the perfect qualifications!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

As I say you don't need a report, the bloke was sat in his car on an important conference lol. Provided no proof of funds and banged on about grooming products wtf. 

I'm sorry, I'm not sure of the point you're making and given as I've been around since Bill " RL always needs a Million in the bank" Fallowfield, you're making him sound perfection personified!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

In the real world after taking over the club your 1st step would be to pay the players. If you can't do that immediately,  you really shouldn't be taking over a club. You are a chancer who is taking every player and fan for a mug. 

Why in f@@ks name would you buy a business apparently in the hopes it can succeed but continue to not pay the employees, what a kn0b he is, you lot, and the players are lapping it up. The players I can understand in their desperation to get paid somehow, sometime from somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

In the real world after taking over the club your 1st step would be to pay the players. If you can't do that immediately,  you really shouldn't be taking over a club. You are a chancer who is taking every player and fan for a mug. 

Why in f@@ks name would you buy a business apparently in the hopes it can succeed but continue to not pay the employees, what a kn0b he is, you lot, and the players are lapping it up. The players I can understand in their desperation to get paid somehow, sometime from somewhere. 

In the real world people would want guarantees and assurance before doing anything and especially before wasting millions.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

In the real world people would want guarantees and assurance before doing anything and especially before wasting millions.

Lol its gonna take wasted millions . Ask Argyle. Jesus.  The whole concept is a transatlantic sports venture. 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

In the real world NO-ONE would take over a company with all these debts they would strike a deal with the liquidator first.

6 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

In the real world NO-ONE would take over a company with all these debts they would strike a deal with the liquidator first.

Indeed and that approach has worked out very well for Salford. It would have gone down like a lead balloon on here. 

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I take it you did not read this report below before posting your "promise of TV deal over there"

The report is a hatchet job, as seen by the examples posted elsewhere.

Imagine if Toronto and Ottawa worked together and could come back with a TV deal they negotiated themselves eg let us both in and we’ve got this deal that will bring x exposure and x revenue.

Like I say probably pie in the sky but if I was either of the chairmen I’d be pulling out the stops to show SL, the clubs and everyone they were wrong. Plenty of time to work on some ideas and plans now with Ottawa not involved next year.

Further comments from Bob Hunter confirming what we already knew.

"Robert [Elstone] was pretty clear from the get-go that he didn’t want us in…You’re the commissioner. You’re supposed to be the neutral party in all of this." 

If my own club was treated like this I'd be furious. That fans of clubs who have been treated like this and worse have supported the decision and process is appalling.

It seems that the Canadian Rugby League aren't too happy with Elstone either and its president is certain that this will affect the wider game in Canada:

But the boss of Canada’s rugby league, Bob Jowett, has hit out, saying fans will not forget this snub in a hurry and claims Elstone just did not seem that bothered.

The CRLA president told SunSport: “The Canadian view appears to be that this is a betrayal that won’t be quickly forgotten or forgiven.

Toronto’s operation was far from perfect before owner David Argyle said he could not afford to run them for the rest of the year because of issues brought to a head by the Covid-19 pandemic.

But the man who often had run-ins with the money man, often over his funding going to kids playing rugby union, insists things were growing.

Mr Jowett added: “There has been a tremendous amount of ‘fake news’ about the Wolfpack from day one.

“It is undoubtedly true that in year one they gave out a lot of free tickets, I wouldn’t be surprised if 90 per cent of year one attendees had free tickets.

“But the number of complimentary tickets diminished as crowds grew.  The Wolfpack started to limit free tickets to 'superfans' and community groups who would introduce new fans to the sport - those new fans often came back and bought tickets.

“The Wolfpack made close to ideal use of free tickets. At the end of last season, free tickets were becoming very hard to come by - groups who historically could count on free ticket allocation found those numbers drastically reduced.

“If the Wolfpack had played home Super League games this year they would have been in a position to fill Lamport Stadium with no free tickets.

“It should also not be forgotten that even those who received free tickets contributed through beer and food sales.

“Now if the Wolfpack return to Championship or League One then I believe the bulk of fans will stay with the team.

“If this happens I’m not sure how much appetite there will be for a quick return to Super League.

“But if they go completely then there’s a real risk that rugby league will lose most if not all the support the Wolfpack generated.

“Unfortunately, it is likely that in years to come it will once again be said that rugby league never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13139203/toronto-wolfpacks-super-league-expulsion-will-be-regarded-as-a-betrayal/

18 minutes ago, Damien said:

It seems that the Canadian Rugby League aren't too happy with Elstone either and its president is certain that this will affect the wider game in Canada:

But the boss of Canada’s rugby league, Bob Jowett, has hit out, saying fans will not forget this snub in a hurry and claims Elstone just did not seem that bothered.

The CRLA president told SunSport: “The Canadian view appears to be that this is a betrayal that won’t be quickly forgotten or forgiven.

Toronto’s operation was far from perfect before owner David Argyle said he could not afford to run them for the rest of the year because of issues brought to a head by the Covid-19 pandemic.

But the man who often had run-ins with the money man, often over his funding going to kids playing rugby union, insists things were growing.

Mr Jowett added: “There has been a tremendous amount of ‘fake news’ about the Wolfpack from day one.

“It is undoubtedly true that in year one they gave out a lot of free tickets, I wouldn’t be surprised if 90 per cent of year one attendees had free tickets.

“But the number of complimentary tickets diminished as crowds grew.  The Wolfpack started to limit free tickets to 'superfans' and community groups who would introduce new fans to the sport - those new fans often came back and bought tickets.

“The Wolfpack made close to ideal use of free tickets. At the end of last season, free tickets were becoming very hard to come by - groups who historically could count on free ticket allocation found those numbers drastically reduced.

“If the Wolfpack had played home Super League games this year they would have been in a position to fill Lamport Stadium with no free tickets.

“It should also not be forgotten that even those who received free tickets contributed through beer and food sales.

“Now if the Wolfpack return to Championship or League One then I believe the bulk of fans will stay with the team.

“If this happens I’m not sure how much appetite there will be for a quick return to Super League.

“But if they go completely then there’s a real risk that rugby league will lose most if not all the support the Wolfpack generated.

“Unfortunately, it is likely that in years to come it will once again be said that rugby league never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13139203/toronto-wolfpacks-super-league-expulsion-will-be-regarded-as-a-betrayal/

Hmm the head of Canada RL sticking up for an organisation that  “APPARENTLY” did nothing to help the development of the game in Canada.

12 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Hmm the head of Canada RL sticking up for an organisation that  “APPARENTLY” did nothing to help the development of the game in Canada.

Yes and the very person and body that the knockers have used for quite some time as evidence to have a dig at Toronto for a lack of development in Canada. The fake news comment is also very interesting.

18 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

No surprise though.  The Wolfpack made Canada RL's task much easier simply by existing and bringing the game to attention of thousands of Canadians who'd never have heard of it otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Niels said:

Journalists and others seem to be using this as a stick to have a go at Northern Rugby League fans. 

Some posters seem to enjoy and encourage calling us a small time sport.

Don’t think there is any enjoyment involved,but sadly it is a fact,we are.

Archived