The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/11/2020 at 21:15, CanadianRugger said:

It's been a good three years and I have had fun watching TWP. However, I am doing the only thing I can do now and voting with my wallet.

I've cancelled my Sportsnet NOW subscription (Canadian provider who carries Super League) and let them know it's because of this decision.

It's Watch NRL App for me from here on out and I won't be following Super League any longer.  

I cancelled my Sportsnet World subscription too.

A great error has been made and a great disservice done.   Those are the two most relevant facts to this situation....all the rest is noise.

Hopefully, if calmer heads prevail, the club will survive and have a season in Championship...if not, then the final chapter of this tragic betrayal, not only to a club but also an idea of virtue, will reach its final, woeful conclusion.

"I wish you would step back from that ledge, my friend
You could cut ties with all the lies that you've been living in
And if you do not want to see me again
I would understand"

On 03/11/2020 at 13:15, CanadianRugger said:

It's been a good three years and I have had fun watching TWP. However, I am doing the only thing I can do now and voting with my wallet.

I've cancelled my Sportsnet NOW subscription (Canadian provider who carries Super League) and let them know it's because of this decision.

It's Watch NRL App for me from here on out and I won't be following Super League any longer.  

I know it`s not Sportsnet`s fault but I`m a big believer that if possible what you did by relaying them your reasons for cancelling a subscription can make a difference, it makes people sit up and take notice, it makes them think hey there is someone passionate out there about this, how many more are there, let alone if a few people contacted them. Before I had my family and was distracted by other things I was forever contacting journalists and newspapers and giving them a right old serve if I felt they deserved it, and I`ll swear as sure as I`m sitting here that sometimes they would change their tone a little. Well done for making the effort.

I'm surprised The Canadians were interested in joining a two bit outfit like SL.To be honest that's what it is.Now they want to penalize any team  entering that comp with less money.The team that gains entry will be out at the end the coming  season because financialy they could not compete, the rest will all be secure because that was the end result they wanted.

1 hour ago, frank said:

I'm surprised The Canadians were interested in joining a two bit outfit like SL.To be honest that's what it is.Now they want to penalize any team  entering that comp with less money.The team that gains entry will be out at the end the coming  season because financialy they could not compete, the rest will all be secure because that was the end result they wanted.

At the moment that's all there is in the northern hemisphere.  It was either that or try starting up a whole new league.

7 hours ago, frank said:

Its astounding that this is where are now, the SL clubs ruling by self interest and short termism will lead to nothing but a shambolic falling apart of the professional game in the UK. 

7 hours ago, frank said:

I'm surprised The Canadians were interested in joining a two bit outfit like SL.

when you consider how slapdash this Toronto proposal and approach was, maybe they would fit right in?

I wish it was someone other than LiVosi - with a plan not dependent upon a unproven grooming brand and headed by someone who takes the time to actually read and input into his first business plan proposal, take the time not to be presenting from his car for a make or break presentation and be willing to prove he can actually fund it before a vote.

Unfortunately LiVosi and mythical Wolf Grooming "synergies" and riches is what we got, not some incredible slam dunk opportunity that people are understandably desperate to present this as.  Yet the only people that the masses want to blame are SL owners - LiVosi's shambolic efforts are just glossed over.

I'm no luddite - all my family had their flights booked to head over and watch Saints out there so I was disappointed to see how badly this has played out, but I also fear it was inevitable.

55 minutes ago, dkw said:

Its astounding that this is where are now, the SL clubs ruling by self interest and short termism will lead to nothing but a shambolic falling apart of the professional game in the UK. 

Don’t worry if Elstone gets his way and either Leigh & Fev get the 12th spot everything is rosey as they bring away fans that will fill the grounds and generate the sums of cash that will make all the difference “Apparently”

8 hours ago, clogdance said:

So Brian, none of this was David Argyle's fault ! 🤣

So you missed the bit that said:

McDermott acknowledges the team and Argyle made mistakes. 

It's not really his fault what the journalist wishes to directly quote.In the interview on Sky last week he was also critical of Argyle on several occasions.

9 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The bad press fallout keeps on coming.  Toronto Wolfpack coach Brian McDermott left angry and bitter over team’s demise in The Toronto Star.

Good article.

I thought that this bit was very poignant.

“I think what the Toronto Wolfpack’s done for four years without distribution (funding) has been amazing,” said McDermott. “I think (current majority owner) David Argyle, on reflection needs a huge amount of credit, not so much about how he ran the club — I won’t try and defend that, that wasn’t good enough — but (for) funding the club to the level he did for such a long period of time with no ending in sight of this ridiculous concept that we don’t get distribution (funding).

“Added to that, we’ve also got to pay for everyone else’s travel and accommodation (in Canada).

20 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Canada Oh Canada!

Elstone's made it quite plain although not explicit that he loathed the Toronto Wolfpack from the day he took his place.

Why? I don't know but if you asked him, you wouldn't get a straight answer.

All along he's been unable to say what he really feels because Toronto made such a good fist of it.

His face however, belied his weasel words and telegraphed his true emotions.

Like a haughty, red faced, flatulent old maid, in the front seat in church, desperately trying to suppress a fart. 

Inevitably, you were caught between a rock and a hard place.

The rock (like so many before you) being the humiliation of not having enough resources to be able to compete with SL's best teams and then all hope is repeatedly dashed until it eventually slips silently beneath the waves.

The hard place, is even worse. It's being too good. Ha ha, you didn't expect that did you?

It's being too big for your britches and embarrassing the lack lustre, ne'er do wells you thought would make you welcome.

Ah, such naivety is to be expected I suppose, from the New World.

The lesson I hope is clear, woe betide any upstart who displays the audacity to be any good at what we have been completely inept at (and are getting worse at) for a hundred years.

Worst of all, don't flash your cash ''for the good of the game'' you'll be despised for it, and hounded out of the game, with a thousand and one brickbats. Being any good rarely goes down well, with the Old World, envious ordinary.

So what to do?

If you really, really like Rugby League, I suggest you just get on with it. Do it yourself.

You won't get any help, precious little encouragement and there'll be more than a few underhand and dirty tricks along the way but that's been the history of British Rugby League development since day one.

So now you know, how it really is, it's over to you fellas.

Good Luck in all your endeavours, from someone who really wants you to succeed. 

If Elstone thinks adding a another M62 corridor club to Super League adds any credibility to Super League he's more deluded than i thought.

It will not add a single new fan to the game or a new worthwhile sponsor

2 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

What utterly amazes me is that the 12th team yet to be decided will itself get  less than an equal share of the distribution money. There seems to be no obvious logic to some of these decisions.

Oh there is plenty of logic,it’s called self preservation.

3 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

What utterly amazes me is that the 12th team yet to be decided will itself get  less than an equal share of the distribution money. There seems to be no obvious logic to some of these decisions.

Yes, it is like wounding your opponent before a fight to tilt it in your favour. there is no sporting integrity. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

So you missed the bit that said:

McDermott acknowledges the team and Argyle made mistakes. 

It's not really his fault what the journalist wishes to directly quote.In the interview on Sky last week he was also critical of Argyle on several occasions.

Wow, that's such stinging criticism of a guy that has not payed HIS players for 7 months.

5 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Wow, that's such stinging criticism of a guy that has not payed HIS players for 7 months.

So after being proved wrong about the “lack”of criticism towards Argyle it’s now the level of criticism,you really need to make your mind up.

1 hour ago, westlondonfan said:

apparently it's because those naughty championship clubs could furlough their players and haven't had to pay for testing 

https://www.totalrl.com/reduced-distribution-for-promoted-club-explained/

1 hour ago, POR said:

apparently it's because those naughty championship clubs could furlough their players and haven't had to pay for testing 

https://www.totalrl.com/reduced-distribution-for-promoted-club-explained/

It wouldn't matter if there is a perfectly reasonable and logical explanation, it will still be deemed unfair and seen as a pattern by those who like that sort of forum stuff.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

16 minutes ago, Oxford said:

It wouldn't matter if there is a perfectly reasonable and logical explanation, it will still be deemed unfair and seen as a pattern by those who like that sort of forum stuff.

You think that is a perfectly reasonable and logical explanation? 

2 hours ago, dkw said:

You think that is a perfectly reasonable and logical explanation? 

I'm not sure what your point is dkw.

Social media  as a focus, & people's views generally come to that, tend to gravitate to the opposite despite all evidence to the contrary. This means that even when things seem straight forward, reasonable and clear people still find them wanting. The U S elections are a prime example right now. Referees, expansion & Elstone the same on here.

Or the short answer is "Yes I do, actually!"

Despite the interuption there SL without TWP is much the same as Salford without Watson all the poorer. And very few of the candidates for being accepted into SL even come close to replacing them in that way. Even Toulouse can't bridge that loss fully.

5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

So after being proved wrong about the “lack”of criticism towards Argyle it’s now the level of criticism,you really need to make your mind up.

'Make my mind up' Blimey you love an argument don't you ? Ok the level of criticism was paltry at best, and nowhere near the level it should have been.

Archived