Jump to content
John Drake

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

So it seems there is no reason to fear engagement and tap into the Canadian RU playing community.

Confused. 

Sponsoring events and running kids clinics is different than (for example) taking national team players.

No one knows for sure why, just theories based on observations. Maybe someone at RO has pics of DA doing something naughty.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TIWIT said:

But the Arrows have the full support and backing of MLR. Most of the time it seems Argyle is going it alone with little to no support from SL.

Perceptive, TIWIT. For all the relentless moaning about RU v RL, if you want RL to succeed in North America, then teams need more demonstrated support from the motherland. SL's treatment of Wolfpack has so far been disgraceful. If it stumbles locally in the face of competition from the Arrows and its MLR support, then a chunk of the blame will lie with Super League itself. And then we''ll need earplugs to mute the union-blaming, instead of introspection.

But I think that's a doomsday scenario. Canadian sports fans are capable of following both the Wolfpack and the Arrows. I don't agree that Wolfpack fans in general are primarily union fans - most are new to rugby of either code and begin as casual fans who learn the game from scratch. Both codes are still niche sports here, there's room for everyone. Some of us went to both teams' fixtures last season. Some of us bought both types of merch. No one lost an eye.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Loup said:

Perceptive, TIWIT. For all the relentless moaning about RU v RL, if you want RL to succeed in North America, then teams need more demonstrated support from the motherland. SL's treatment of Wolfpack has so far been disgraceful. If it stumbles locally in the face of competition from the Arrows and its MLR support, then a chunk of the blame will lie with Super League itself. And then we''ll need earplugs to mute the union-blaming, instead of introspection.

But I think that's a doomsday scenario. Canadian sports fans are capable of following both the Wolfpack and the Arrows. I don't agree that Wolfpack fans in general are primarily union fans - most are new to rugby of either code and begin as casual fans who learn the game from scratch. Both codes are still niche sports here, there's room for everyone. Some of us went to both teams' fixtures last season. Some of us bought both types of merch. No one lost an eye.

Im a FEV fan so have no real interest in what's going on in SL so can you tell me the above please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, POR said:

Im a FEV fan so have no real interest in what's going on in SL so can you tell me the above please

You're in a Toronto Wolfpack thread?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like RU and played it as a youngster and I do attend Arrows games but my season ticket holder loyalty will always be Wolfpack...but I think when the Aces are added to the mix you will see more media coverage across the country. I can even see bus loads of fans field tripping back n forth between the two cities..hell I am on that bus! League just seems to inspire that kind of rabid fanaticism.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I like RU and played it as a youngster and I do attend Arrows games but my season ticket holder loyalty will always be Wolfpack...but I think when the Aces are added to the mix you will see more media coverage across the country. I can even see bus loads of fans field tripping back n forth between the two cities..hell I am on that bus! League just seems to inspire that kind of rabid fanaticism.

Me and the missus too.....let's go to Ottawa.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

So it seems there is no reason to fear engagement and tap into the Canadian RU playing community.

Confused. 

Truer words were never spoken.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Me and the missus too.....let's go to Ottawa.

99 bottles of beer on the wall!!.....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We seem to be getting bogged down in the reasons why TWP maybe can't do certain things. I'm more interested in what have they actually done so far.

When I went to the Wigan Warriors website, I quickly found the following:

School provision: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/community-education/rl-development

Rugby camps: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/community-education/rugby-camps

These are the sorts of things I would expect to see clubs doing - especially Super League clubs because they have greater funds.

If we take the year 2019, did TWP do anything along the same lines as what Wigan Warriors do?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

99 bottles of beer on the wall!!.....

Seeing the size of Canada you may need to stretch that song out to 999999 bottles of beer on the wall...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Cheers! You’re pretty clueless yourself, Twit 😁

I merely agreed with you and you resort to insults. Real class MoK.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TIWIT said:

I merely agreed with you and you resort to insults. Real class MoK.

Oh! In that case I take it back. No need to tell the teacher 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Oh! In that case I take it back. No need to tell the teacher 😉

Too late...I've already been informed MoK.....you punishment is to type "I love Toronto Wolfpack' 1000 times on the forum.  I'm going into  the bush to do some yacking for a week so I'll check in when I get back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kayakman said:

Too late...I've already been informed MoK.....you punishment is to type "I love Toronto Wolfpack' 1000 times on the forum.  I'm going into  the bush to do some yacking for a week so I'll check in when I get back.

Never heard it called that before!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TIWIT said:

And of course it's not Perez's money.

Very true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ojx said:

Interview with Argyle for those who are interested:

 

For a billionaire his mic is *********

Good find though Ty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Hope this gets sorted!

I don't understand this point from Argyl:

“We joined this competition in the belief that we would have the full support of the RFL - and ultimately success in resolving this visa issue.

“This has been going on for three and a half years now and this Covid situation has exacerbated it."

If they have Visas for 6m then they have what they need don't they (in an ordinary season)?

Obviously we are in a crazy time now and you'd like to think the Home Office would be flexible here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All getting rather shambolic now. I thought the Championship is a dog’s breakfast due to the impact on part-time clubs of testing costs etc but if Toronto can’t compete either - and their ‘marquee to end all marquees’ can’t play - that’s going to be very damaging to Super League, and the Sky contract going forward.

Could Argyle pull the plug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't understand this point from Argyl:

“We joined this competition in the belief that we would have the full support of the RFL - and ultimately success in resolving this visa issue.

“This has been going on for three and a half years now and this Covid situation has exacerbated it."

If they have Visas for 6m then they have what they need don't they (in an ordinary season)?

Obviously we are in a crazy time now and you'd like to think the Home Office would be flexible here. 

I get the impression that they don't feel very supported by the RFL/Super League who should be the one's going to the British govt with Toronto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

All getting rather shambolic now. I thought the Championship is a dog’s breakfast due to the impact on part-time clubs of testing costs etc but if Toronto can’t compete either - and their ‘marquee to end all marquees’ can’t play - that’s going to be very damaging to Super League, and the Sky contract going forward.

Could Argyle pull the plug?

I don't think its a money issue. They'd be fine if they can play at home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toronto's visa issues have been going on for a long time. They've been rolling the dice from day one it was only a matter of time before it all came crashing down. They are in a tough situation they need as many foreigners as they can get to compete in super league but attracting the players is whats hardest. I think they gonna be a "yo-yo"  team like the broncos. Going up and down constantly. And the RFL isn't to blame for this either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...