The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

We have clubs been around years and years who are praying the season doesn't start because they can't even afford to test players! Yet people are rejoicing that Toronto can't or won't continue to outlay vasts amount of cash to see this meaningless season out, there will be no relegation, let's hope Mr Argyle sees past this shambolic organisation and continues to fund the club despite having both arms tied behind his back.

Where are the people rejoicing exactly?

Even the most hardened TWP critics on this forum are hardly rejoicing. 

8 minutes ago, Loup said:

Not at all, if that was an accurate description of what was asked.

Is it completely ridiculous to expect the same club to cover these unexpected costs when their "professional" organization stiffed them for a 1.2 million share of tv money and then divided it up between themselves like greedy little kids with the Easter chocolate? That would have paid a lot of stadium rental and salary.

I thought Toronto were going to be bigger of clubs, but in their first season in SL they need central distribution to survive - What makes them any different to some of the other clubs that get lambasted for if they didn't get funding they would also probably have to withdraw?

I have always been a fan of Toronto apart from when they played London, and for pro-expansion, but if they can't fulfil their first season in SL it doesn't bode well for their future. 

I am not happy with how the club as a whole has been treated generally, but most of it has been fair and on par with how the game treats most clubs. 

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

Even the most hardened TWP critics on this forum are hardly rejoicing. 

1 minute ago, clogdance said:

Oh dear Toronto and your racist owner Mr. Argyle. Hang your heads in shame.....

56 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

I already sensed the writing was on the wall when they got no help from the league with players.

I'm glad David saw sense and didn't waste any more money as he would have burned millions with no opportunity to recover any costs due to having to play every game in England and no access to TV money.

My bet is Ottawa and New York don't come to fruition now.

DA (Only met him once at Toulouse) damm nice guy stood watching the game with a beer could have been any old RL fan gave me his business card I still have it at home on the mantle piece.

Hopefully when this all calms down we can welcome them back next season at some level:)

Keep the faith canadians

Lovely people

Wonderful country

Paul

1 minute ago, Click said:

I thought Toronto were going to be bigger of clubs, but in their first season in SL they need central distribution to survive - What makes them any different to some of the other clubs that get lambasted for if they didn't get funding they would also probably have to withdraw?

I have always been a fan of Toronto apart from when they played London, and for pro-expansion, but if they can't fulfil their first season in SL it doesn't bode well for their future. 

I am not happy with how the club as a whole has been treated generally, but most of it has been fair and on par with how the game treats most clubs. 

Its not just TV money though is it? It's over a year without a home game and all the associated income too.

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I get that but why say they will compete then pull out a week later?

If we're honest, I expect they wanted to put SL into its most vulnerable position - with gamedays and TV schedules set - before making a demand for support. They've always been a bit ruthless on that front, and I say that as someone who's always been a critical friend of the project. 

But the SL clubs called their bluff, and the writing is now on the wall. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

For a sport as innovative as Rugby League, we don’t half know how to shoot ourselves in the foot. 

It's like when the sport does anything good and innovative that we don't quite follow through with it and support it.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its not just TV money though is it? It's over a year without a home game and all the associated income too.

Again, they knew all of this before letting SL announce the fixtures, I do have sympathy for some of the Wolfpack's situation but they really haven’t helped themselves here have they.

Just now, Damien said:

It's like when the sport does anything good and innovative that we don't quite follow through with it and support it.

We don’t really have a plan for anything beyond what’s at the end of our noses, as has been proven with expansion in the shape of PSG, Celtic Crusaders and dare I say, London too, and with the incessant structure changes every three years. 

This is all very sad, but legally can you force an overseas team to complete the season in the UK? They are not members of SLE and do not receive any TV income.

If the Warriors all decided to go home to NZ is there anything legally the NRL can do etc? How is it different?

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Again, they knew all of this before letting SL announce the fixtures, I do have sympathy for some of the Wolfpack's situation but they really haven’t helped themselves here have they.

They knew about a global pandemic?

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

That’s it for me, Rugby League can f*** right off.

A small game run by small minds, in small towns, watched by fans with smaller minds whose vision doesn’t extend beyond the shopping centre built on the decommissioned pit head. 

Out of interest, which Shopping Centre is that?

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

We don't know what happened to result in that situation. Maybe what was proposed and what changed left them with no choice.

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

I have some sympathy, but as someone else said - They told the RFL/SL or whoever as recently as last week that they would be completing the season. If they knew the problems were this bad it isn't a new development, and they shouldn't have sprung it on the rest of SL with only weeks to go till the season restarts.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Not something you can plan for. 

I think you’re misinterpreting what I am saying.

read the RFL statement they say they had been given assurances by Toronto before rescheduling the fixtures only for them to pull out a week later.

I’m not talking about the fixtures that were released at the start of the season

Archived