The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

I would love to voice my opinions, to the powers that be in the Rugby Football League (RFL) and the Super League (SL), about the current situation the Toronto Wolfpack finds themself in; and be vocal in support of the team in such an unprecedented time.  Unfortunately, neither official website seem to list contacts for the leagues themselves.  Only generic "e-inquiries", "ticketing" etc seem to be available.

Is anyone aware of, and able to provide, publicly available contact e-mail address information for the Rugby Football League and/or Super League, in order for fans to speak directly with the organizations?  This can be posted here, or in a Private Message if that's preferred.

I am not looking to raise a stink.  Instead, I would like to reach out, directly, as an example of the type of fan the RFL/SL is likely to lose should they not support the team, through such a challenge, and especially so should punitive action be brought against the team

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Neither of these clubs are top of the championship. Toulouse were currently top.

Featherstone still had a game in hand after the fixture against Halifax was postponed earlier in the season. That is a minor point really in the ultimate question.

What next?

How does the game go from here? I'm not talking about the professional game, i'm on about the whole game. Professional to community. 

Today is a significant chapter in the overall shape of the game, forever. 

There's a few questions i pose:

1. What is the impact to semi professional teams. Can these teams afford to continue with minimal games this year? (invitational cup)
  2. What happens with the TV deal next year? Gut instinct would be to significant cuts.
  3. Where does leave future teams, such as Ottawa & New York?
  4. What happens with players contacts below Super League?
  5. Will we see some teams merge to continue from 2021 onwards?
  6. What will happen to the 16m loan that the government game the sport - how will this be now distributed?

I hope, genuinely hope for the good of the game that this period of time is only positive and it makes us even stronger. Good luck to all clubs, big or small.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

I would like to be able to read an article with real journalistic work on Toronto: who is David Argyle, what financial means does he have? Who does he rely on to manage the club? why so much change at the head of the club? The real crowds, the number of paying spectators, the contracts with the players, the recruitment strategy, the financial difficulties already encountered. What links in Canada? In England ? etc etc there are so many questions never addressed ...

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Neither of these clubs are top of the championship. Toulouse were currently top.

The club I really feel sorry for is London. They had a terrific season against all the odds. They missed out by a whisker. To me they have more to offer our game than Toronto. Unfortunately they had to be sacrificed  to allow Toronto to come up. If we were ever going to offer someone the extra place, then London should be at the head of the queue.

9 minutes ago, ChoboMog said:

I would love to voice my opinions, to the powers that be in the Rugby Football League (RFL) and the Super League (SL), about the current situation the Toronto Wolfpack finds themself in; and be vocal in support of the team in such an unprecedented time.  Unfortunately, neither official website seem to list contacts for the leagues themselves.  Only generic "e-inquiries", "ticketing" etc seem to be available.

Is anyone aware of, and able to provide, publicly available contact e-mail address information for the Rugby Football League and/or Super League, in order for fans to speak directly with the organizations?  This can be posted here, or in a Private Message if that's preferred.

I am not looking to raise a stink.  Instead, I would like to reach out, directly, as an example of the type of fan the RFL/SL is likely to lose should they not support the team, through such a challenge, and especially so should punitive action be brought against the team

0330 111 1113 ask for Ralph. 

1 minute ago, Agbrigg said:

The club I really feel sorry for is London. They had a terrific season against all the odds. They missed out by a whisker. To me they have more to offer our game than Toronto. Unfortunately they had to be sacrificed  to allow Toronto to come up. If we were ever going to offer someone the extra place, then London should be at the head of the queue.

They weren't sacrificed, they finished bottom.

The statements from David Argyle about a willingness to start again even if it means a reboot to how they began are encouraging.

The poster comparing the squad issues they experienced to Koukash owned Salford with Noble and Vickers at the helm makes a good point. That time for Salford was filled with bombastic claims and big name, big money signings that didn't quite work out. It was only when back room changes saw Ian Watson come in and the squad building became more modest and targeted to the needs of the club that Salford's fortunes picked up culminating in last years GF appearance. Allowing many big earners to leave in the interim can aid with the building of a more balanced squad to make them more resilient to short turnarounds or injuries so could be a good thing if recruitment to replace them is done well.

Mistakes can be good if they are recognised and learnt from so as to avoid them in future. That applies to both the club and the governing body. Things done so far that have been shown to be mistakes may help similar projects in future to be more likely to succeed if it results in a change in approach. Access to central funding, full membership and the things that go with those for TWP are a good idea to go with come 2021. Those should go hand in hand though with things on TWPs part such as a commitment to player development systems (even if that meant  having a UK based academy in somewhere like the Midlands or another expansion area rather than NA) so as to provide players rather than just buying them. Plans to keep any possible NA TV income for themselves should also be discarded if they were to take from the Sky pot. TV monies from other territories would have to feed into the same central pot so all clubs could benefit.

Hopefully this isn't the end for them.

13 minutes ago, ChoboMog said:

Scroll right to the bottom and click "contact us"

https://www.superleague.co.uk

I'll be impressed if you get a response.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Rugby league wasn't a proper British sport until 1972.

The things you learn.

Only one division dear heart, nowhere to go to and nowhere to go from, but you already knew that, didn't you, geez what someone will do to get another notch on TRL's bedpost.

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

It is a sad day.....push came to shove.....too bad.

I'm still rolling my season tickets...hopefully the situation can be salvaged if calmer heads prevail.

Only a couple of weeks ago you were willing to wager TWP would be in SL next year, but it is not my style to kick a man while he is down🤫

2 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Give over 🤣there is no way they could make that amount net from about 14 home games. Also from what I hear half the spectators get in the ground on freebies 

Oh mate, please. Wolfpack have enough issues worth discussing without you trotting out all the tired old tripe. What next, the time Barrow didn't get a packed lunch?

5 minutes ago, Loup said:

Oh mate, please. Wolfpack have enough issues worth discussing without you trotting out all the tired old tripe. What next, the time Barrow didn't get a packed lunch?

Or the time  all our boys had to make there own way home from glasgow airport with work next morning,:kolobok_punish:Thanks.

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

Well the tin pot club I support have also had to tell season ticket holders they can get a refund if they wish. Only 33 wanted their money back the other 2500/3000 have written it off to help out the club. Dedication or stupidity cal l it what you will. I wonder if you know what percentage of Wolfpack fans have decided to roll over their tickets. 

They only sent out the option two or three days ago and you have until mid-August to claim the refund. So no, my crystal ball she tell me nothing yet. From the season ticket holders I know personally, we are all rolling over.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

With what? 

And the obvious question is why couldn't TWP get any government support? 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

That sort of goes into the answer yeah. 

They can't get Canadian support because.... the players are not Canadians and not eligible for the govt payment to those who have lost work through covid-19. Canadian-based non-playing staff however are eligible for Canadian govt payments.

They can't get UK support because.... the organization is registered in Canada and not eligible for the govt furlough payments.

49 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Unfortunately they had to be sacrificed  to allow Toronto to come up.

London came up to SL in 2019 after beating Toronto. Went down again at the end of the season. Toronto came up to SL in 2020 after beating Featherstone. In what way was London "sacrificed"?

10 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

The players letting their feelings be known:

https://twitter.com/MccroneJoshua/status/1285320491415285765?s=20

There is a lot more background stuff we are not hearing.

He’s comparing two completely different organisations of two incredibly different sizes, he’s failing to acknowledge the cancellation of the NSW Cup and Queensland Cup, he’s failing to acknowledge any failings of the club and he’s put a weird dig in their about young English blokes going to Australia, apart from that he’s spot on. 

Archived