Jump to content
John Drake

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

That is why they need to get it right this time...I say 10% increase on the cap for Toronto with one extra marquee signing.

This is a minimum....we would also like our money back and visiting teams to pay their own bills.

I didn't say TWP should be given the keys to the Universe Kayakman, but there should be some discussion if we can avoid all the usual from the conservative element in our sport from spoiling it all, yet again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oxford said:

I didn't say TWP should be given the keys to the Universe Kayakman, but there should be some discussion if we can avoid all the usual from the conservative element in our sport from spoiling it all, yet again.

I say if you need to fix something you fix it right so you don't have to go back later...no more of theses RFL band aid solutions please...I've seen enough of them already.

Give US the tools and We will finish the job!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I say if you need to fix something you fix it right so you don't have to go back later...no more of theses RFL band aid solutions please...I've seen enough of them already.

Give US the tools and We will finish the job!

There is much in what you say, and you've only been around for very few of those band aids, so go easy.

No club, even an expansion dream like TWP should have carte blanche but some adjustment needs to be sorted and done well and quickly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

This is like the confessional booth,luckily it's Sunday so 20 Hail Marys for those of you who have visited THAT site,let's move on and not mention it again eh?

Which site ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Oxford said:

There is much in what you say, and you've only been around for very few of those band aids, so go easy.

No club, even an expansion dream like TWP should have carte blanche but some adjustment needs to be sorted and done well and quickly.

We want that white card for once...not the yellow card or the red card...we want the white card (just for a little while; we promise we won't rack it up; promise!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

We want that white card for once...not the yellow card or the red card...we want the white card (just for a little while; we promise we won't rack it up; promise!"

You've seen our government and you're expecting us to have any trust left, be your age Kayakman!

There's still plenty of room for adapting without being silly!

#Run With the Pack!

image.png.d3bbaff100bc967db983a5875886f0ce.png

When they're not playing the Red Devils!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

We want that white card for once...not the yellow card or the red card...we want the white card (just for a little while; we promise we won't rack it up; promise!"

We'll see just how many yellow and red cards you lot get over the next season! Toronto might be very good at most things but i would bet we will get carded more than you will! 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dkw said:

Leigh fans infatuation and hatred of all things Toronto is so weirdly extreme, I looked on rlfans and its borderline psychotic on there. Many people on here put across there dislike or scepticism really well with thought out reasoning. Leigh fans though, just garbage whataboutery and made up nonsense. 

Be fair,did you go on THAT site before or after the pubs in leigh opened???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dkw said:

Leigh fans infatuation and hatred of all things Toronto is so weirdly extreme, I looked on rlfans and its borderline psychotic on there. Many people on here put across there dislike or scepticism really well with thought out reasoning. Leigh fans though, just garbage whataboutery and made up nonsense. 

Would that borderline psychotic be someone familiar to us here before he got the boot?

Never mind, I see it's answered further along. 

Edited by TIWIT
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I say if you need to fix something you fix it right so you don't have to go back later...no more of theses RFL band aid solutions please...I've seen enough of them already.

Give US the tools and We will finish the job!

Ooo, I like that last line

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oxford said:

You've seen our government and you're expecting us to have any trust left, be your age Kayakman!

There's still plenty of room for adapting without being silly!

#Run With the Pack!

image.png.d3bbaff100bc967db983a5875886f0ce.png

When they're not playing the Red Devils!

I wonder who'd win if the Salford Red Devils played the Wake Forest Demon Deacons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Be fair,did you go on THAT site before or after the pubs in leigh opened???

Wait, pubs in leigh close? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

I wonder who'd win if the Salford Red Devils played the Wake Forest Demon Deacons?

Too close to call, that one!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be a helluva game though.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the cost of living in Toronto vs that along the M62: a thing that no one has brought up is the exchange rate.

Right now £1 = $1.72C. TWP players are paid in pounds, so when they are here they are, as the saying goes, getting a lot more bang for the buck.

Which leads to another problem for the Wolfpack. Most of their expenses are paid in  British pounds but most of their revenues are in Canadian dollars.

I realize this is Argyle's problem and he surely considered it when he started out but exchange rates are variable and when you're talking in terms of tens of millions that can add up to quite a lot. Just another unique situation TWP have to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TIWIT said:

Regarding the cost of living in Toronto vs that along the M62: a thing that no one has brought up is the exchange rate.

Right now £1 = $1.72C. TWP players are paid in pounds, so when they are here they are, as the saying goes, getting a lot more bang for the buck.

Which leads to another problem for the Wolfpack. Most of their expenses are paid in  British pounds but most of their revenues are in Canadian dollars.

I realize this is Argyle's problem and he surely considered it when he started out but exchange rates are variable and when you're talking in terms of tens of millions that can add up to quite a lot. Just another unique situation TWP have to deal with.

Well we are just going to have to lower the cost of living in Toronto to suit some of the flat cap posters on here...I'll contact the Mayor right away....it will be easily done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Regarding the cost of living in Toronto vs that along the M62: a thing that no one has brought up is the exchange rate.

Right now £1 = $1.72C. TWP players are paid in pounds, so when they are here they are, as the saying goes, getting a lot more bang for the buck.

Which leads to another problem for the Wolfpack. Most of their expenses are paid in  British pounds but most of their revenues are in Canadian dollars.

I realize this is Argyle's problem and he surely considered it when he started out but exchange rates are variable and when you're talking in terms of tens of millions that can add up to quite a lot. Just another unique situation TWP have to deal with.

I might be completely making this up but I'm pretty sure I read a few years ago that Catalans had this problem in that the salary cap for them was in euros and was set at the exchange rate to the cap in pounds but it didn't get adjusted with the fluctuation in the exchange rate which meant that the cap for Catalans was actually lower. Something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I might be completely making this up but I'm pretty sure I read a few years ago that Catalans had this problem in that the salary cap for them was in euros and was set at the exchange rate to the cap in pounds but it didn't get adjusted with the fluctuation in the exchange rate which meant that the cap for Catalans was actually lower. Something like that.

Another possible extra cost for the Wolfpack is tax equalization. The team payroll wants to make sure players tax deductions don't increase too much when they start playing in Canada (or the other way around, not sure which country is taxed at the highest rate). If the team pays part of the players taxes this becomes salary, you reach the cap faster than UK based team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Have you spoken to any of them ?

Yes. Many of them. Met a  number of their wives/partners. I've even met Ricky Leutele's twins. The Aus/NZ boys had their families over for a few weeks last summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Loup said:

Yes. Many of them. Met a  number of their wives/partners. I've even met Ricky Leutele's twins. The Aus/NZ boys had their families over for a few weeks last summer.

I don't think many of the posters fully appreciate how much of a family aspect there is to the Wolfpack: both players and fans.

I bet there is a far higher per centage of children and mothers at the Wolfpack games than any other in SL...when i see the crowds overseas there are some kids but not many women and a lot of middle/old aged white guys.  Not like that at the Wolfpack games.

When you think of family think of the Wolfpack.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why should the RFL be criticised because TWP now want to be able to have their salary cap raised?

These matters get discussed between the club owners,in Super League,and Toronto Wolfpack have been in Super League since October 2019.

The matter should have been brought to the attention of the relevant parties long before it was recently mentioned.

Lack of communication isn't just one way...


     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Why should the RFL be criticised because TWP now want to be able to have their salary cap raised?

These matters get discussed between the club owners,in Super League,and Toronto Wolfpack have been in Super League since October 2019.

The matter should have been brought to the attention of the relevant parties long before it was recently mentioned.

Lack of communication isn't just one way...

Damn right....and why its there only a 5% dispensation being offered...that is not near enough for a big club like the  Wolfpack...these people can't be serious....we need at least 20%.

The matter was brought up by the Wolfpack long ago...

This lack of communication from the RFL is simply  ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Damn right....and why its there only a 5% dispensation being offered...that is not near enough for a big club like the  Wolfpack...these people can't be serious....we need at least 20%.

The matter was brought up by the Wolfpack long ago...

This lack of communication from the RFL is simply  ridiculous.

Right on. If everyone is playing by the same rules, then where is the TWP tv money? and why are they still flying teams over? they should have a much bigger dispensation to compensate for this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...