Jump to content
John Drake

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I very much doubt it. You could have said the same for PSG, or Oxford and Gloucester. None of it really mattered because they weren't strategic plans, just the latest wheeze. And so will be the next one because we don't know, and can't agree, how expansion should be done, if at all. 

At least this time it isn't RFL money that was blown on a half baked plan. 

No, I think this is different because it is so high profile. You won’t get any support anywhere for any kind of exceptions to support clubs outside the pitifully small area of the M62 corridor now.

EDIT

As an example, the failure of PSG meant the hoops for Catalans were tough - and there was a pretty long gap between the death of one and the acceptance of the other.

Edited by gingerjon
  • Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Apparently everybody in Leigh knows Tom.

I always find it amusing when people react on mistakes but have no other input.

You?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

No, I think this is different because it is so high profile. You won’t get any support anywhere for any kind of exceptions to support clubs outside the pitifully small area of the M62 corridor now.

Well,toronto get plenty a support over here from the pityfull m62 area.i spoke with plenty of TWP fans at our games and others that flew the flag.some from york/hull.halifax/and even a couple who came down from hartlepool, were do they go now,hang up the flags and say sod it.its a farce choose how you cut it but fans are left high and dry same as players bank accounts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That would further suggest Argyle is a fraud. 

Wasnt he supposed to be a billionaire?

 

Ohh I do wish you could make it so posts could drip with sarcasm 🙂

Edited by briggyq
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

My impression is Ottawa have the same plan but with a full RFL membership because they are Hemel Stags moved to Canada.

They will also spend less on players in the championships if they have any sense.

They will still have the small hurdle of being 3500miles away from the rest of the league.

A league even more skint than normal 😬

Isn't this the problem, how can being in a British Sporting League work, it was always fraught with problems and lack of money to sustain it. As much as people think some of us want TW to fail, we don't, it just doesn't seem feasible.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, briggyq said:

Wasnt he supposed to be a billionaire?

yer, but billionairs dont have cash handy,,so were told.he bailed END OF.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, silverback said:

yer, but billionairs dont have cash handy,,so were told.he bailed END OF.

Yea so I read..what a sorry state of affairs this has turned into..that people still defend it I find boggling if this whereas I said many, many pages ago say Bradford the pitchforks would be out..that players have been left high and dry has stained TWP "brand" untenable mess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, briggyq said:

Yea so I read..what a sorry state of affairs this has turned into..that people still defend it I find boggling if this whereas I said many, many pages ago say Bradford the pitchforks would be out..that players have been left high and dry has stained TWP "brand" untenable mess.

yep.people could see the writing on the wall months/years ago,anyone who said anything were shot down in flames,now its blame everyone else but the owner.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, briggyq said:

Yea so I read..what a sorry state of affairs this has turned into..that people still defend it I find boggling if this whereas I said many, many pages ago say Bradford the pitchforks would be out..that players have been left high and dry has stained TWP "brand" untenable mess.

Probably very profitable for some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few months ago I posted for the last time on this forum.  Except I didn't because I feel the need to return after reading the so predictable laughable stuff here, I just can't help getting involved when I see people acting like fools. I'm a football fan who, like many millions have watched rugby union more than Rugby League, though I gave league a shot for a couple of years.  Page after page of "I told you so" about Toronto, claims that you could all see this coming when it's clear to everyone outside of your tinpot sport that Covid utterly changed the plan.  Page after page of sticking the boot into David Argyle who invested millions - what a joke you are, what do you want, slow death by non-investment? And that Hela Wigman suggesting that the fact that Covid affecting Argyle's businesses and therefore his ability to support TWP proves that he's a fraud? Lol, the opposite is true - it proves that a pandemic wrecked his plans in which he's already personally lost millions to try and support the sport.  And the apparent conclusion from page after page on this forum - that you will be better off with Fev in "Super" league struggling to get a four figure crowd in a town that no one has ever heard of as opposed to having a team that was selling out 10,000 in a large and well known city which surely had the potential for crowds to go significantly higher in future in a bigger capacity stadium if the so called "fans" of your sport didn't continually shoot your sport in the foot.  Oh, I know that people will blah blah blah on in reply about late payments etc but we all know that Argyle shelled out way more bucks to try and give your sport a bit of a foothold outside of your little-known backyard, and he succeeded in doing so until this unforeseeable pandemic.  Good night, and good luck with the rest of your lives.  Enjoy the dwindling popularity of your increasingly irrelevant sport - it's what you've wished upon yourselves x

 

Edited by Jampot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No, I think this is different because it is so high profile. You won’t get any support anywhere for any kind of exceptions to support clubs outside the pitifully small area of the M62 corridor now.

EDIT

As an example, the failure of PSG meant the hoops for Catalans were tough - and there was a pretty long gap between the death of one and the acceptance of the other.

They're not even expanding there. The clubs blocked Manchester because it was too close, and they didn't want to share out another measly £75k.

There's no expansion anywhere because the clubs don't have a desire, plan or funding for it. But if someone comes along and waves a big enough cheque, then you'll see the wheels set in motion. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man of Kent laugh ahead.  You always hated TWP from the start and bull****ed about the crowd figures even though they were getting more when in League 1 than some super league teams.  Well, it seems you have your wish now - Super league increasingly irrelevant, union even more dominant.  Which union team do you support I wonder?  Bath I bet. 

Edited by Jampot
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jampot said:

Man of Ken laugh ahead.  You always hated TWP from the start and bulled about the crowd figures even though they were getting more in League 1 than some super league teams.  Well, it seems you have your wish now - Super league increasingly irrelevant, union even more dominant.  Which union team do you support I wonder?  Bath I bet. 

Go have a lineout.and check on fev crowds too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jampot said:

Man of Kent laugh ahead.  You always hated TWP from the start and bull****ed about the crowd figures even though they were getting more when in League 1 than some super league teams.  Well, it seems you have your wish now - Super league increasingly irrelevant, union even more dominant.  Which union team do you support I wonder?  Bath I bet. 

A fooled fool, eh? Back to onion with you, loser.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jampot said:

Sorry mate, can't follow......

you mentioned fev struggling to get a 4 figure crowd,they bring more than that to our place for an away game,fev can fill their place no probs,hence me saying i wish we had same tiny crowd figures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

DA has/had a lot of money, the problem being most of it was tied up in assets which are now performing very poorly aka potash, iron, zinc mining, etc.

These assets have significantly devalued as a result of Coronavirus and liquidating them to pay salaries to workers (who aren't working btw) would be a poor business move.  

David Argyle also owns restaurants, all of which have been shuttered as a result of Coronavirus.  As well, the flagship sponsor who provided TWP with travel, funding, etc is presently bleeding $200 million a quarter and its parent, Air Canada is losing $1 billion a quarter.

Airlines laid off most of their employees, what makes Rugby Players special?

Toronto gets bought and the players get paid or they don't the club folds and the players get nothing.  Unfortunate and TWP share some blame but the RFL and SL are not innocent partners in all of this.

Depends how much honour and self respect Argyle has, as to if he should sell off his alleged assets dirt cheap to cough up what he owes his blokes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

A fooled fool, eh? Back to onion with you, loser.

I refuse to be called a loser by someone who actually sits at home on his own and literally watches television and attempts to bitterly count the number of people who are sitting in a stadium

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jampot said:

A few months ago I posted for the last time on this forum.  Except I didn't because I feel the need to return after reading the so predictable laughable stuff here, I just can't help getting involved when I see people acting like fools. I'm a football fan who, like many millions have watched rugby union more than Rugby League, though I gave league a shot for a couple of years.  Page after page of "I told you so" about Toronto, claims that you could all see this coming when it's clear to everyone outside of your tinpot sport that Covid utterly changed the plan.  Page after page of sticking the boot into David Argyle who invested millions - what a joke you are, what do you want, slow death by non-investment? And that Hela Wigman suggesting that the fact that Covid affecting Argyle's businesses and therefore his ability to support TWP proves that he's a fraud? Lol, the opposite is true - it proves that a pandemic wrecked his plans in which he's already personally lost millions to try and support the sport.  And the apparent conclusion from page after page on this forum - that you will be better off with Fev in "Super" league struggling to get a four figure crowd in a town that no one has ever heard of as opposed to having a team that was selling out 10,000 in a large and well known city which surely had the potential for crowds to go significantly higher in future in a bigger capacity stadium if the so called "fans" of your sport didn't continually shoot your sport in the foot.  Oh, I know that people will blah blah blah on in reply about late payments etc but we all know that Argyle shelled out way more bucks to try and give your sport a bit of a foothold outside of your little-known backyard, and he succeeded in doing so until this unforeseeable pandemic.  Good night, and good luck with the rest of your lives.  Enjoy the dwindling popularity of your increasingly irrelevant sport - it's what you've wished upon yourselves x

 

Back into your tinpot world mite. If you can’t be bothered posting why the hell do we have to read a complete and utter bull s hite essay on your opinion of RL. 
 

You may return to your abnormal world of luxury with my blessing.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, silverback said:

you mentioned fev struggling to get a 4 figure crowd,they bring more than that to our place for an away game,fev can fill their place no probs,hence me saying i wish we had same tiny crowd figures.

Sorry mate, you might be right.  It's escaped my attention if they've got a massive away support that rocks venues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jampot said:

Sorry mate, you might be right.  It's escaped my attention if they've got a massive away support that rocks venues.

It will if yer off watching yawnion.had rather boil my own nadds.enjoy.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Back into your tinpot world mite. If you can’t be bothered posting why the hell do we have to read a complete and utter bull s hite essay on your opinion of RL. 
 

You may return to your abnormal world of luxury with my blessing.

Ok thanks "mite". Will do.  I'd love to know what my "abnormal" world of luxury is!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, I did say that I tried watching league.  I've got p****d off with it not because I didn't enjoy it, but because of the whole attitude to expansion.  Believe me, there are many like me who think that the attitude towards expansion has rendered the sport an unsupportable joke, and this is a tragic state of affairs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...