The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you think if it came to a winner takes all competition it should be acceptable to field DR player's?

It could make the competition a mockery, Leigh for example have a DR agreement with Saints what if they were allowed to 'borrow' some player's for the comp?

Isn't there a rule that to play in certain comps for promotion such as the 8's or the play off's that a DR player would had to have played 6 games in the season to be elegible if so no club in the Championship has played 6 games so that will exclude any DR player from taking part.

I'd be happy to scrap dual reg entirely. But that 300+ page debate is better on its own thread....again.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

He can say what he wants but Elstone simply has a SL remit. He could, of course, indicate that SL wouldn't really look favourably upon any other NA applications but that isn't his style. More likely we could expect some weasel words which would ensure that any future problems would have been caused by anyone other than SL.

By broadening out the review to Canada/NA it’s pretty obvious that a no to Toronto kills Ottawa and ‘New York’ stone dead.

55 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I think that the SL clubs, and Elstone, are protecting their own backs. When ultimately rejecting the application they will then be able to say that they gave Toronto every opportunity to demonstrate their cast-iron viability with the fervent hope that all of the details added up but that, sadly, they fell well short.

Kerching!

No need to protect their backs, TWP knew the SL demands some time ago and have had plenty time to put a bid together. If they had said no yesterday then nobody could have complained about a lack of opportunity.

I think they are more likely edging their bets and thinking let's see what the 2021 Covid situation for SL looks like in another 4 weeks, then decide if TWP are any use next year or not.

Or it could simply be that Sky haven't got back to Elstone with a recommendation yet.

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Hi Harry,

Its all a front anyway talk to anyone in SL and they are pretty much of the opinion that DA is still pulling the strings.

Can you explain why they are even considering a TWP readmission if everyone in SL believes this?

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

By broadening out the review to Canada/NA it’s pretty obvious that a no to Toronto kills Ottawa and ‘New York’ stone dead.

But if you believe Perez, he has plans to develop Ottawa in ways that he didn't/couldn't at Toronto.

If these plans are believed or come to fruition, that may well help Toronto with the all encompassing Canadian review.

There is a lot to play out and in the broad scheme of things, what we're discussing with the current information at hand now, will most likely be irrelevant in a weeks time and even moreso in a month. 

30 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

No questiuon it would be game over for New York but Ottawa is abit different there is no rush to get to the SL.

28 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Even if Toronto survive, do you really think that this New York idea will come to fruition? For me it seems nothing but pie in the sky.

Putting together a strategic plan around the inclusion of a transatlantic side in a European competition is not something you can just cobble together in a matter of weeks. It’s even harder when you factor in that we’re in the middle of a pandemic, too. It’s little surprise that the initial meeting yesterday saw the Toronto bid completely undercooked and not ready.

I don’t expect much movement in terms of decision next month either. Once presented and if it’s a better application, there’s inevitably going to be questions asked by clubs and Super League as a competition and I would hope that the bid isn’t just heard and a vote happens straight away and all questions people have, can be asked. 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Super league clubs and the games leadership need to grasp the narrative here and take control. If its still an Argyle show and/or the presentation for the new owners is poor they need to be changing the narrative along those lines.

If the reasons to not allow Toronto back are perfectly valid and not simply protectionist prejudice that's fine, but we're getting nowt and the opacity leads people to assume the worst in all situations.

That is exactly what Elstone has done. He has highlighted that the submission was not good enough and they are giving one more chance to try again. 

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Can you explain why they are even considering a TWP readmission if everyone in SL believes this?

It is a good question. 

Surely a punishment of a lifetime ban for Argyle should be made now, meaning that TWP would be taking a huge risk having him anywhere near the club. 

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

No need to protect their backs, TWP knew the SL demands some time ago and have had plenty time to put a bid together. If they had said no yesterday then nobody could have complained about a lack of opportunity.

I think they are more likely edging their bets and thinking let's see what the 2021 Covid situation for SL looks like in another 4 weeks, then decide if TWP are any use next year or not.

Or it could simply be that Sky haven't got back to Elstone with a recommendation yet.

Have you been on this forum long?

😉

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I can see a bunfight between Elstone and Rimmer may well be inevitable..question is would it be big enough fracas to cause a SLE/RFL split??

2 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

No questiuon it would be game over for New York but Ottawa is abit different there is no rush to get to the SL.

Until they start that is, and if I was an officer or a fan of the club I would want to progress as quickly as possible, if they do begin the first season will be the only opportunity they have to 'blood' novices. 

5 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

London only seem to have 14 players signed up at the moment.

That's 14 more FT players than most other teams in the championship, so half way there to a team that could hopefully hold its own. That was the point I was making. If a team had to start from scratch its going to be much harder to be ready in time. 

2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

😂😂 Do you seriously believe that 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

That is exactly what Elstone has done. He has highlighted that the submission was not good enough and they are giving one more chance to try again. 

But why,

Our Canadian friends and posters on this site keep telling us how backward we are in this country in our buisness practises and if the game was controlled over there how much better and more proficient as a sport we would be, often using for examples the multi million dollar sporting enterprises in Toronto.

But here we have given the Toronto club and prospective owner the opportunity to put together a submission to grant them a lifeline to carry on playing in SL, and this buisness guru a child of this wonderful system we are told exists in Canada fails miserably, he should have been sent packing with his tail between his legs, if this is a sample of his lax attitutde on something of so much importance what will he be like going forward if SL accepts his second attempt?

4 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

If those squads are no better than part-time/hybrid Fev, then what makes you think they would be good enough? London, Toulouse and Leigh would have to replace half of them, while a hybrid squad wouldn't have as much of a problem off-loading their part-timers. And don't give me the Dual Reg argument, a couple of Rhinos fringe players who are no better than they key players in the side don't make that much difference.

Selection for replacing Toronto should be decided on merit. 

There is no scenario any more where a 12th team can be decided "on the field" in time for a February SL start. That window has closed. 

If they want 12 then - for this year only - it will have to be a selection process. The only question is do you get on with it now or leave it till later for a last minute scramble. 

Sure, all teams can be eligible to apply, but if the aim is to field the best possible team in SL then those with a FT base have a big head start, even if those players end up being back-ups. How much additional money a team is able to commit will also be taken into account too no doubt. If Fev have some FT players then sure, that helps them. So will the "away fans" argument that no doubt some SL clubs will argue for.

The only club that ticks all the boxes - FT player base, owner with money to invest and a travelling fan base - is of course Leigh. 

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

There is no scenario any more where a 12th team can be decided "on the field" in time for a February SL start. That window has closed. 

If they want 12 then - for this year only - it will have to be a selection process. The only question is do you get on with it now or leave it till later for a last minute scramble. 

Sure, all teams can be eligible to apply, but if the aim is to field the best possible team in SL then those with a FT base have a big head start, even if those players end up being back-ups. How much additional money a team is able to commit will also be taken into account too no doubt. If Fev have some FT players then sure, that helps them. So will the "away fans" argument that no doubt some SL clubs will argue for.

The only club that ticks all the boxes - FT player base, owner with money to invest and a travelling fan base - is of course Leigh. 

I LIKE LEIGH nice club and people also though have to consider LONDON and TOULOUSE

14 team SL anyone?

Paul

2 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

Do you really believe that? I just don't. 

Perez says it because people are willing to fall for it. Same with his commitment to developing players.

I don't blame him, more fool on those that believe him, but there's only one way that a transatlantic team works and that's top flight rugby with a TV deal sooner rather than later. 

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Do you really believe that? I just don't. 

Perez says it because people are willing to fall for it. Same with his commitment to developing players.

I don't blame him, more fool on those that believe him, but there's only one way that a transatlantic team works and that's top flight rugby with a TV deal sooner rather than later. 

Totally agree and it seems to me Elstone is calling the bluff on all this BS to see if the Perez Plan (Toronto and Toronto MkII) is viable or not. 

53 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I can see a bunfight between Elstone and Rimmer may well be inevitable..question is would it be big enough fracas to cause a SLE/RFL split??

There is already a de facto split. The RFL can allow new clubs to enter the British league system but Super League Europe decides on central funding in SL. From a financial POV, SL holds the trump card.

Archived