John Drake

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

31 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Absolutely their own club should be their main priority but in the medium term having Toronto in could benefit them massively. 

Could you tell us a bit more about this rather vague claim?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

This week’s episode of the Forty Twenty podcast is all about TWP, quite a good listen. It’s certainly reinforced my view that if SL turn them down (or even accept them but give them a points deduction / don’t give them their share of TV money) they don’t have the interest of the future of the game at heart. Absolutely their own club should be their main priority but in the medium term having Toronto in could benefit them massively. 

Was it a debate from both angles, or a group of TWP sympathisers patting each other on the back?

• Like 2

"Nothing to lose by readmitting Toronto Wolfpack - let’s see what can be achieved"

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/toronto-wolfpack-super-league-future-4557656

"Peacock – rated one of the greatest players in Super League history – said Toronto had “cut through in a way that others haven’t’’.

“They have built a fanbase and a strong brand from nothing.’’

He said Toronto, as a destination, could attract casual fans.

“The more places you can watch rugby league, the better.’’

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/122932389/super-league-star-warns-against-dumping-sonny-bill-williams-toronto-club

Against the backdrop of covid these seem optimistic, against the backcloth of enthusiasm for finding fault and looking backwards they appear even worse. If the pandemic has taught us anything, apart from hiw to spell pandemic, it is that vague arguments and guesses about the future are all there is.

I admit I feel a bit odd as I've watched my last game of RL but still post.

Edited by Oxford

"I think that's quite an patronising response to a player who is a rugby union icon." Martyn Sadler

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

"Nothing to lose by readmitting Toronto Wolfpack - let’s see what can be achieved"

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/toronto-wolfpack-super-league-future-4557656

"Peacock – rated one of the greatest players in Super League history – said Toronto had “cut through in a way that others haven’t’’.

“They have built a fanbase and a strong brand from nothing.’’

He said Toronto, as a destination, could attract casual fans.

“The more places you can watch rugby league, the better.’’

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/122932389/super-league-star-warns-against-dumping-sonny-bill-williams-toronto-club

Against the backdrop of covid these seem optimistic, against the backcloth of enthusiasm for finding fault and looking backwards they appear even worse. If the pandemic has taught us anything, apart from hiw to spell pandemic, it is that vague arguments and guesses about the future are all there is.

I admit I feel a bit odd as I've watched my last game of RL but still post.

pity it hasn't taught you how to spell "how" 😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Want to explain why Toronto not being re-admitted “doesn’t have the interest of the future of the game at heart”?

Because it’s a huge new market to take our contracting (in the N Hemisphere) sport to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Could you tell us a bit more about this rather vague claim?

New markets, new money, new players. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Was it a debate from both angles, or a group of TWP sympathisers patting each other on the back?

Neither really. 

• Like 1

Awaiting the formal announcement...then the ever present avalanche of support from Leigh.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

New markets, new money, new players. 

New players.? Rightyho.🥶

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Because it’s a huge new market to take our contracting (in the N Hemisphere) sport to. 

So the same stuff we’ve been told before. Fair enough, I suppose. I will give the podcast a listen at the weekend. 

14 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Awaiting the formal announcement

Me too, albeit I expect for different reasons.

I will say again, my reasons have nothing whatsoever to do with Toronto or any other club across the pond, I just don't think clubs from 3K+ miles away doing nothing to expand the sport in places in respect of participants is a good fit for our sport.

3 minutes ago, silverback said:

New players.? Rightyho.🥶

I said medium term, it’s quite obvious that there would be more people playing if TWP carry on going versus if they don’t. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Me too, albeit I expect for different reasons.

I will say again, my reasons have nothing whatsoever to do with Toronto or any other club across the pond, I just don't think clubs from 3K+ miles away doing nothing to expand the sport in places in respect of participants is a good fit for our sport.

They always said it would be top down though, they’ve only been going for 3 years you can’t expect them to have set up loads of new teams in that time. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

Just now, Eddie said:

I said medium term, it’s quite obvious that there would be more people playing if TWP carry on going versus if they don’t. 

There is nothing obvious at all Eddie.

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So the same stuff we’ve been told before. Fair enough, I suppose. I will give the podcast a listen at the weekend. 

I think (and not trying to be cantankerous here), that the game (and by that I mean the heartlands super league clubs who run it in the N Hemisphere) needs to decide are they happy being a minority sport in a small part of the country rabbiting on about being TGG, or do they want the game taken to other places and to grow. If it’s the former then fine, but they’ll only have themselves to blame as the tv deal gets smaller each time and they end up being semi pro playing in front of much smaller crowds, still going on about being TGG. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

They always said it would be top down though, they’ve only been going for 3 years you can’t expect them to have set up loads of new teams in that time. 

With the best will in the world, it will take 3 generations from nothing to bear fruit in any numbers, can we wait that long?

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

There is nothing obvious at all Eddie.

I’d say it is. Toronto have always said that they’d get the team going first, to show people what it’s about, and then try to get people playing - ie a top down model. To me that makes more sense than trying to get people playing a game with zero exposure and then setting a pro team up. 

• Like 3

With the best will in the world, it will take 3 generations from nothing to bear fruit in any numbers, can we wait that long?

Yes. Next.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Well there was less players at leigh and salford when they started up,And those who were left in the lurch wage wise seem to have got gigs elsewere too,I doubt they really attract players again with a big  wage if there to stay in SL.

• Confused 2

If the alternative is to wait three generations and  then have nothing bearing fruit, then yes. Though I’d argue that it wouldn’t take three generations, why would it. 

We have to be prepared for a massive drop in the next contract (My estimate and I hope I am wrong) is a 40% drop minimum.

Mentioned on here yesterday I had a coffee earlier on this week with a county cricket club CEO and his opinion (They are lucky as I think the current deal runs until 2024) that they will see around 40% of what they get now from SKY.

Secondary income streams will become more and more important also fans have to be prepared to pay more to watch matches RL is cheap really cheap.

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If the alternative is to wait three generations and  then have nothing bearing fruit, then yes. Though I’d argue that it wouldn’t take three generations, why would it. 

Well it has, And you have no fruit only massive bills for someone to pay.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Just think about the infrastructure in the amatuer games in this country, how many kids play the game, how many different leagues and fixtures they take part and progress through, the centre's of excellence the best kids perculate up to compete against each other, then the best of the best advance to academies only for 90+% of those to get jettisoned, the conversation rate of kids first picking up a ball to SL status is 100's to 1, all the time our end product is not brilliant in numbers of quality player's.

So please share your argument of how you will fast track from nothing the process we employ over here to produce SL quality players.

I’ve never got the “well...they don’t have an Academy and don’t produce any players” argument. I don’t even think it’s an argument, it’s stating the obvious. A team from Canada isn’t likely to have an Academy based in a country that has very little Rugby League in it, so they’re not going to have an Academy within five years of starting or be producing Canadian players. Yes, I know Eric Perez and David Argyle made some outlandish claims about Canadians and getting rugby league balls into kids hands but even if they managed that, they’re not going to be playing Super League level inside five years and both of those are no longer involved with Toronto (thankfully in the case of Argyle) so you can’t use their claims to beat Toronto with now. 

If Toronto come back in, they won’t be judged off their Academy, or lack of, and nor should they be under the structure we have now. 

• Like 5