The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I actually thought you were being obtuse Oliver but I gave you too much credit, you really just didn't understand. Bless.

Whoever Oliver is will be distraught a faceless person on the internet is being abusive. 

So yeah, pleased you now get that Toronto had no connection with Canada RL at all and didn’t work together at all, thus having little effect on the work they did and do. 

I think this about sums it all up.

Ottawa needn't bother it seems.

Toulouse should stop wasting their time and money.

And I'm not altogether sure the Dragons should continue striving given this decision.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

I guess those players not being paid will remain unpaid now. 

You would hope that SL will be using the TWP share of Sky money to honour their contracts, given this whole RL family thing...............oh hang on, is that all BS?

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Whoever Oliver is will be distraught a faceless person on the internet is being abusive. 

So yeah, pleased you now get that Toronto had no connection with Canada RL at all and didn’t work together at all, thus having little effect on the work they did and do. 

You are a bit thick. He never referred to the governing body of rugby league in Canada. He was referring to the sport in general and I agree, there we be a decline in interest following the demise of the Wolfpack. 

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Now they can vote who's in the league and as a result who can get money

They always could do that, in fact as they are no different this afternoon as they were this morning.

Tommy, it was you who said it was going to be a long hard winter especially without season ticket sales, I agreed with you, today's decision has not altered that fact one iota. 

44 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Will see what comes out in the wash but if there was concerns around funds, I can’t really see how we’d let them in. You’d only have people on here deploring Elstone and Super League when in May next year they go bust...again. 

Totally agree with this. as you all probably know I would love to have seen them re admitted but...

LiVolsi has made big claims of his funds etc and has said he is prepared to show them the proof of funds (cant remember exactly but i saw on BBC i think he said he was ready with the paperwork to do this.. i would assume today). If he wasnt able to do this or he wasnt prepared to do this then you cant blame the clubs for being once bitten twice shy. If he did do this and some were happy and some not then there are questions to be asked.. either why some where or why some werent but its not a good look. 

But you do have to question clubs having a vote on another club and therefore being able to vote on pure self interest.. that isnt the way this sort of decision should be made.. however, as said, its a no brainer if the issue is around him not showing proof of funds. 

I had my doubts on the bid - seemed to focused on his grooming brand, with little interest in TWP as a club, and not submitting proof of funds, which appears to be the final straw.....................but i'm livid with how it's been dealt with, how the sport is governed, the double standards (what other SL clubs would pass that process?), the lack of vision or strategy..............am so disillusioned now. TWP offered a glimmer of hope to many, which has now been taken away. 

I think the next Sky deal (which will have been discussed at the meeting) is lower and they'll now cut to 10 teams, and this is just the first part of it. So who else is next to be culled?

Just now, northamptoncougar said:

Tens of thousands of supporters just thrown away !!!

But that's ok we'll get to watch more games in front of no one in the rhubarb triangle 

They were built on an apparent billionaire funding a club. When that billionaire went bust and walked out of SL, they went then. 

We can keep twisting the truth to make out its the existing clubs that are at fault, but the management of this club has been unsavoury at best. 

If I were the Toronto Arrows, I’d be making serous enquires into purchasing the Wolfpack’s name and image rights. People in Canada really don’t care about League v Union. If the Arrows could rebrand as the Wolfpack and play out of lamport, they could pick up a large following based on that alone.  

3 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

You are a bit thick. He never referred to the governing body of rugby league in Canada. He was referring to the sport in general and I agree, there we be a decline in interest following the demise of the Wolfpack. 

And you’re spending your afternoon being abusive on the Internet. 

I suggest you check the playing numbers, sponsorship levels and profile of the game, Mike, before you let your knees jerk. 

46 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Quite, it seems that 3 of the most Successful businessmen and Rugby League administrators don't agree 

Just to add to this. On one side we have a businessman who set up an expansion club, and now runs the most successful club in Super League both on field and off it, a man who runs one of the most consistently successful super league clubs, and a man who's ran the only successful (in terms of elite silverware) expansion sides in the games history.

On the other, we have a club who has no money (Blease, Salford), a man who openly wants to sell because he has no more money (Hudgell, KR), a club with a ###### ground and no money (Cas), a club with a ###### ground, no money and the ambition to be the second biggest sport in the north despite being the only professional team in their city (Carter, Wakefield), a club propped up by a single elderly businessman that gives away season tickets for £100 (Thewlis, Huddersfield), a man whose image of professionalism is sacking a coach on live TV (Hull), a club that loses money hand over fist despite being successful (Wigan) and Simon Moran (who it wouldn't surprise me if he was the one who abstained).

Its not a great picture, and I know which side I'd be on.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

They always could do that, in fact as they are no different this afternoon as they were this morning.

Tommy, it was you who said it was going to be a long hard winter especially without season ticket sales, I agreed with you, today's decision has not altered that fact one iota. 

The precedent wasn't set this morning Harry. Now it is. Knives are out. Opportunity knocks.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

They were built on an apparent billionaire funding a club. When that billionaire went bust and walked out of SL, they went then. 

We can keep twisting the truth to make out its the existing clubs that are at fault, but the management of this club has been unsavoury at best. 

I agree with what you say but lets not believe that this vote wasn't self serving by some clubs in the hope they can gain an extra 100k.

In reality is any so called elite club is relying on just that extra 100k then they're doomed as it's a pittance in the business world.

Having been to Toronto many times I really believe it could have opened up a whole wrath of future markets to a sport that desperately needs them.

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread R I P

#Runwiththepack

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have you decided on your own future Oxy?

Yes, thank you for asking Harry.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 minutes ago, RP London said:

But you do have to question clubs having a vote on another club and therefore being able to vote on pure self interest.. that isnt the way this sort of decision should be made.. however, as said, its a no brainer if the issue is around him not showing proof of funds. 

Am I mistaken or was it a vote by the self same clubs that allowed them into SL?

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Am I mistaken or was it a vote by the self same clubs that allowed them into SL?

yes, and pocketed a nice amount of tv money for doing so.. voting against their entry then would have cost them that share of TV money that they could take from Toronto.. 

but equally, i think i said it then too, they should not be voting on such matters either expelling or bringing in.. clubs voting on the future of other clubs in this way is wrong.

LiVolsi actually made his 'presentation' from his car. Yet another show of lack of respect.

The big clubs who voted yes can afford to take the hit if as expected Toronto hit the wall again but with no proof of funding it is unsurprising that the other clubs were not impressed.

This is a good day for Rugby League and I feel a good day for the likes of Toulouse and London who now have a better chance of Super League especially if Neil Hudgell's plan for a 14 team league is adopted.

3 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

LiVolsi actually made his 'presentation' from his car. Yet another show of lack of respect.

The big clubs who voted yes can afford to take the hit if as expected Toronto hit the wall again but with no proof of funding it is unsurprising that the other clubs were not impressed.

This is a good day for Rugby League and I feel a good day for the likes of Toulouse and London who now have a better chance of Super League especially if Neil Hudgell's plan for a 14 team league is adopted.

I wonder why Hudgell wants a 14 team league? Self interest perhaps?

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Those constantly shouting for process and due diligence don't actually mean it do they? They just want their preference no matter what. 

Nah dave i think the problem is if any of this criteria of "process and due dilligence" was applied to the clubs in Super League, 6 would almost certainly fail in some aspect, potentially more. Its the exact same criticism posed at licensing, which could hardly be seen as anti flat capper position.

Archived