The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

33 minutes ago, PhilCarrington said:

Per the email, "Brian McDermott, Martin Vickers and Bob Hunter of Toronto Wolfpack are asking for the support of the sporting world to raise vital funds for the players and staff of Toronto Wolfpack, within the UK and Canada". 

Clicking on the gofundme link on the email goes to a page which starts: "Toronto Wolfpack is organising this fundraiser".

That suggests it IS a TWP gofundme.

Wonder how they'll split the £30k between the players. 

It's between all c. 50 staff. I seem to recall reading it would be split equally

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am devastated by todays decision.Obviously I think its wrong but I think it shows the narrow minded thinking of most super league clubs.I very much doubt the Wolfpack will ever be back as I don't se

Rugby League as a sport - fans, owners, administrators, the lot - gets what it deserves. There was an opportunity here, an owner who's spent £10m, a growing fanbase and a very attractive market,

To avoid the forum being swamped with dozens of individual threads about Toronto which generally all end up heading down the same rabbit hole eventually anyway, we're opening this general discussion t

Posted Images

I don't get the negative comments here and elsewhere. The GFM page is set up to help those not being paid.

You don't want to contribute? Fine. Don't.

But why the vitriol on this?

Is there some kind of karma I'm missing here cos the lads in question played for twp?? 

Jesus H Arkwright.....

• Like 6
22 minutes ago, PhilCarrington said:

Odd that it's asking for donations in £. Maybe that's so that they can pay the players, but would have thought collecting in C$ was easier to attract donations from the 9,000+ home support.

Websites are clever like that Phil. They understand geolocations. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
49 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Websites are clever like that Phil. They understand geolocations. 

Very good this technology stuff Scubby, but there's a whole load of appeals on the site that aren't in £, so those don't understand geolocations. 🙄 Maybe one of the Canadians on here can confirm that they can see the fund in C$.

3 minutes ago, PhilCarrington said:

Very good this technology stuff Scubby, but there's a whole load of appeals on the site that aren't in £, so those don't understand geolocations. 🙄 Maybe one of the Canadians on here can confirm that they can see the fund in C$.

Does it really matter?

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

A good one would,if you payed by credit card you could also claim it back through them.

🤣

Out of interest, do you take up travel insurance when you go and watch a Rugby League game?

Toronto tried fobbing people off with “exchanges” for the game that ended up being at Warrington, of which were a lower value than what they’d paid originally. 

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

🤣

Out of interest, do you take up travel insurance when you go and watch a Rugby League game?

Toronto tried fobbing people off with “exchanges” for the game that ended up being at Warrington, of which were a lower value than what they’d paid originally. 

Annual one covers everything and so does paying with a credit card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Annual one covers everything and so does paying with a credit card.

Credit cards wouldn't cover things like match tickets based on value in many cases. 

Did they ever actually sell tickets? 

51 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Credit cards wouldn't cover things like match tickets based on value in many cases. 

They did and I've bought them along with thousands of other fans, but you obviously haven't and prefer to listen to gossip and hearsay from people who have never been anywhere near a Toronto game.

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

They did and I've bought them along with thousands of other fans, but you obviously haven't and prefer to listen to gossip and hearsay from people who have never been anywhere near a Toronto game.

The adults are discussing the game that was meant to be staged at Saracens. Are you saying thousands of people bought tickets for that game? 

Or did you pile in and embarrass yourself? 

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The adults are discussing the game that was meant to be staged at Saracens. Are you saying thousands of people bought tickets for that game? 

Or did you pile in and embarrass yourself? 

No they were all free and plenty of cardboard cutouts.

• Haha 1

The TW cancelled the match at Saracens after the new CEO there upped the stadium hire fee to £ 80000.00 (This happened apparently out of the blue and was way above the original figure agreed)

London Broncos offered to help out with a double header they were playing Featherstone Rovers that day (Last home match before lockdown) however in the meantime Warrington Wolves stepped in to help with a deal that was I am told too good to turn down.

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Dave T said:

Think it depends on the card. we've been claiming back loads of different things that have been cancelled on ours. Some of them becuase the companies have only been offering transfers and that hasnt worked for us but the credit card companies have been able to get our money back... always worth a phone call

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, RP London said:

Think it depends on the card. we've been claiming back loads of different things that have been cancelled on ours. Some of them becuase the companies have only been offering transfers and that hasnt worked for us but the credit card companies have been able to get our money back... always worth a phone call

Ultimately the regulation is for purchases over £100 - but as you say it is always worth calling as banks do have some other methods to be able to refund, but there is no obligation on anything under a hundred quid.

This is a great article with a lot of very good points raised by McDermott, Wilkin and Vickers and a lot of things I didnt realise.

A couple of great points by WIlkin:

“What you tend to do in business or life is to commission a report to find the evidence that suits the view you have. From my experience of this, the game became obsessed with proving a point that Toronto wasn’t viable, and your ego gets wrapped around that view. If Robert Elstone and the game have decided that Toronto isn’t viable, and have commissioned a report to find out whether it is, the framing of that whole report will be based around that. My question to the game is were they trying to find these green shoots, or were they simply looking to quash the expansion into North America?

“We’re constantly looking to our weakest-performing members to make decisions on the game. What other organisation would do that? This democratic vote in Super League should be weighted on your investment into the game. Eamonn McManus’ vote should be weighted more than someone who hasn’t put any money into the game. As a professional player, go and get changed at Castleford and see how special you feel, or Wakefield. The fact those facilities still exist in that form is an indictment on the game itself. The guys at the top are getting their legs blown off by the teams at the bottom. If you had money, why would you invest in rugby league? You’re not welcomed, you’re restricted by a salary cap and there’s no ambition to move anything forward. How are we going to attract money into our sport other than the wallets of our supporters?”

And Vickers:

“It doesn’t feel like we’ve had our hand held throughout this process. Back in April, Robert and his team took some cuts and each club was given £25,000 – apart from our club. We raised it with Robert at the time and he asked us to make a report to the league. He didn’t choose to write it on this occasion, he asked us to write it, and we were unsuccessful. Three-quarters of the clubs said no to that, only three clubs offered to. That set the tone for how this developed."

“I was approached by Catalans in May to consider a New Zealand Warriors-style solidarity payment, and even though we asked him to approach the Warriors, he didn’t – so we did. They told us about the money that had been given to them and how they had been supported, so we prepared a report to go to the next board meeting with it, but Robert rang two days before and said we had no chance of winning that vote, so we took it off the table. I don’t feel like we’ve had strong leadership and we’ve been supported because if we had been, those reports would have been positively written in my view. In terms of dialogue around the propositions, we’ve only ever had business meetings about the process of the resubmission.

“Was this ever about Toronto? Or was it about this battle for territory between Super League and the RFL. We were seen to be the RFL’s big idea, and if you’ve lots of scars over the last few years, you didn’t feel we were the teacher’s pet of the RFL, but there was a perception out there and the fact we got turned down for a £25,000 payment at a time of unprecedented financial challenge to the sport, we’re told that’s what was agreed with Nigel Wood all those years ago. He hasn’t had any involvement in this at all, other than a perceived support of our club. Those are only my thoughts about that.”

https://thirteenrugby.com/2020/11/16/torontos-employees-speak-out-on-super-league-their-futures-and-the-decision-to-reject-the-clubs-readmission-to-the-game-in-2021/

• Like 3