The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You do struggle with Leigh facts don't you LR, I know many lads from my town who have been employed by Toronto, I used to see them quite regularly and joke are you at 'home' this week in Canada or 'away' and sleeping at home. They are based in Manchester, train at Rochdale now, they have 15 regular games in this country plus those they will have to play over here because of the weather conditions in Canada so they will have 11 is it league games in Canada? why would they have to be in Canada for 9 months of the year, it costs the club nothing when they are at home in their own beds. 

I understand it just fine - by 'out of their own home for three months' I meant 'away from, as in 'in Canada for three months. As mentioned elsewhere I find that situation ridiculous and probably part of the reason why they have to pay such overinflated wages.

25 minutes ago, DemonUK said:

So all those in favour of giving them dispensation AND protection from relegation AND a bye to the GF say aye.  They are  spending up to the cap without the TV money so there is no need for that to be brought up in any argument.  They don't live in Toronto so a dispensation ala the London weighting does not apply.  Even if Canadian players were not classed as overseas players, there aren't any of SL quality at the moment.  So now a question for the RFL ........ how the f*** did you ever think this would work.  Catalans have been in the league for how long? Is French RL any better off ..... nope its still ######.

Tis true.

14 minutes ago, LR23 said:

I understand it just fine - by 'out of their own home for three months' I meant 'away from, as in 'in Canada for three months. As mentioned elsewhere I find that situation ridiculous and probably part of the reason why they have to pay such overinflated wages.

We got at crossed purposes, I though you implied they were in Canada for 9 month's, apologies.

12 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

To me though Dave, very few people analyse it like you (what you do is right btw) but just see some newcomers taking a share of their money (even though they aren’t)

In my experience it’s just indicative of the petty mindedness that is so prevalent in RL.

I don’t mind admitting just prior to the signing of SBW I was pretty much done with RL and was just about on my way out. But I’m hopeful Toronto can bring new excitement to SL. If they don’t succeed, that will delight many but they will have to go back to blaming London or Catalans for RL’s problems. I desperately hope they succeed, if only to keep my interest up. 

Were you not a Bradford supporter John?

6 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Not at all, although I gradually did lose interest. I didn’t post on here for the best part of last year- I had pretty much no interest in the game- at any level. I aren’t interested in going to see Bradford play in Dewsbury for instance, call me a plastic fan if you like but I aren’t interested. 

But something in Toronto’s ambition got me interested again and I thought ‘maybe these guys will be different’. The jury is very much out on this one but if they can’t make it work, I genuinely won’t have enough interest to follow the game.
I don’t mind following a game that’s not hugely popular but I can’t behind one with a small minded mentality.

Its a giant task we face and its gonna take awhile but we will get there...you gotta believe!  Its gonna be a wild ride over the next 2-3  years.

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Level playing field = relegation if you finish last...... you want a level playing field??

That is all we have ever asked for ...right from the beginning to this very moment.   Unfortunately the powers that be don't believe in that so we have the current challenges...it is what it is.

TWP has been set up on so many fronts...however we will persevere though and climb to the top of that mountain...we will get there in the end.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Now I know that you have no expierence of the Joy's of promotion or the jeapordy of relegation, but supporting my club for over half a century I am used to that more than most, the question is would Leigh given grace from relegation go onto better things? 

In the league rankings we sit somewhere between 10 and 15th, every year is a challenge, can we get promoted and if we do can we escape relegation, given that there are other clubs in the same predicament as ours who would not survive in SL but for the year on year funding they recieve, it is very hard for me to say go ahead have a closed shop and let Johnny Newcomer in to the party after all they will only be offered a place speculated on by potential, nothin more nothing less.

I spend my money watching this great game to watch my team, that is what gives me pleasure, I watch all the games that are on TV, but very very rarely do I get the same emotion as watching "my team" I don't ride the tackles, feel the hits, rejoice at a try, moan at dropped ball or curse at a mistake that is what being involved and being a fan means to me. I relish the challenge of being in the top division and the fairest way for me is to decide who plays there on merit, through performance and results. Given a level playing field all the teams have the same opportunity, sheilding anyone from jeorpardy does not sit true with me, competition is the essence of British sport, Football, Union, Cricket the high profile team games all employ this, Rugby League should be no different, and I hope it never is again.

you must have been so upset when les catalans were granted immunity from relegation and then when catalans finished last it was widnes who went down.

your post also sums up the problems with english rugby league when for so many clubs every year is just a challenge.

i think leigh are capable of super league, in the bottom half.  they wont win titles but they can be another wakefield for example

56 minutes ago, DemonUK said:

So all those in favour of giving them dispensation AND protection from relegation AND a bye to the GF say aye.  They are  spending up to the cap without the TV money so there is no need for that to be brought up in any argument.  They don't live in Toronto so a dispensation ala the London weighting does not apply.  Even if Canadian players were not classed as overseas players, there aren't any of SL quality at the moment.  So now a question for the RFL ........ how the f*** did you ever think this would work.  Catalans have been in the league for how long? Is French RL any better off ..... nope its still ######.

shame about catalans winning the challenge cup eh ?

what an insular person you are

16 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Not at all, although I gradually did lose interest. I didn’t post on here for the best part of last year- I had pretty much no interest in the game- at any level. I aren’t interested in going to see Bradford play in Dewsbury for instance, call me a plastic fan if you like but I aren’t interested. 

But something in Toronto’s ambition got me interested again and I thought ‘maybe these guys will be different’. The jury is very much out on this one but if they can’t make it work, I genuinely won’t have enough interest to follow the game.
I don’t mind following a game that’s not hugely popular but I can’t behind one with a small minded mentality.

im the same as you.

maybe the legion of doom will get their wish and toronto will go away from our great game, maybe end up in MLR, top 14 or some union comp somewhere

and people like you and me can just be bored of the game again but at least the legion of doom can see their club back in super league one day

11 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Level playing field = relegation if you finish last...... you want a level playing field??

i think hes talking about some fairly obvious things.  you would have to be seriously obtuse to not know what hes talking about

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah and nominally I still am. But until I trust the club, I aren’t going to spend money going to see them. (Except for maybe things like that Rob Burrow game perhaps. 

I hope the bulls get back to super league.  English rugby league isn't big enough to have clubs like this stagnate

Been unlucky with bad owners.  Once you get the right owner  all that could  turn around fast.

47 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

To me though Dave, very few people analyse it like you (what you do is right btw) but just see some newcomers taking a share of their money (even though they aren’t)

In my experience it’s just indicative of the petty mindedness that is so prevalent in RL.

I don’t mind admitting just prior to the signing of SBW I was pretty much done with RL and was just about on my way out. But I’m hopeful Toronto can bring new excitement to SL. If they don’t succeed, that will delight many but they will have to go back to blaming London or Catalans for RL’s problems. I desperately hope they succeed, if only to keep my interest up. 

But this is the problem with a simple question. On a simple basis, there are rules, the question is 'should we bend the rules for TWP' a club who have the largest wage bill ever in RL. 

On a simple basis it is very easy to see why a majority say 'do one' to that suggestion. 

12 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

So what about Toronto’s money? How is THAT a level playing field? 

There is no such thing as Toronto's money. It is SLE's money to distribute how they see fit. They have decided not to invest in a Canadian team. Something which is simultaneously championed as a selling point, and criticised as backward. 

As a comp, we have spent between £15m and £20m on France and have no commercial return to the central game. 

Just now, Dave T said:

There is no such thing as Toronto's money. It is SLE's money to distribute how they see fit. They have decided not to invest in a Canadian team. Something which is simultaneously championed as a selling point, and criticised as backward. 

As a comp, we have spent between £15m and £20m on France and have no commercial return to the central game. 

That's not the point 

He's responding to someone who said a level playing field 

His response was to show how it's not level at all 

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

That's not the point 

He's responding to someone who said a level playing field 

His response was to show how it's not level at all 

Yes, giving Toronto dispensation on the overseas quota is also not level. 

Archived