The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Similarities between Western Reds and the Toronto Wolfpack with an unsustainable business model and without exchange rate issues...

"There is no question that the financial modelling of the Western Reds was flawed," Sackson said.

"There’s an argument that arises quite often that the Western Reds failed, so rugby league will fail in the west.

"What people have to understand is there are a number of reasons why the Reds eventually folded here.

"Firstly, it was an unsustainable business model. There were the inflated player payments during the time of the Super League civil war versus the establishment. That put player payments through the roof.

"The Western Reds had to pay for the incoming teams, coming into Perth - they had to pay for flights and accommodation for teams and then they had to fly them home.

"We had to field a reserve grade team and fly them out here and home. That added up. It was an extraordinary cost."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/players-love-the-place-perth-businessman-heads-new-bid-for-nrl-team-in-west-20200212-p5407u.html

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Similarities between Western Reds and the Toronto Wolfpack with an unsustainable business model and without exchange rate issues...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/players-love-the-place-perth-businessman-heads-new-bid-for-nrl-team-in-west-20200212-p5407u.html

toronto dont actually pay these costs out of their pocket do they?  air transat do the flights for free.  and i think i read they got the accomodation for free.

even if the travelling clubs didnt like the sandiwches they got

This makes sense as He's a very good utility back and isn't at a club right now. How they will get him on the Cap, I'm not sure, although given he's not at a club now maybe he will sign for the season for a moderate salary? Does anyone think they may move for Escare too?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.lindependant.fr/amp/2020/02/18/super-league-tony-gigot-a-toronto,8740606.php&ved=0ahUKEwixv9ST_tvnAhXRQxUIHfhuDbgQyM8BCCgwAA&usg=AOvVaw3T-phe7kd0SoE-NY1rwnQq&ampcf=1

I was interested so I googled it and that's all I got.

How? How much? And who actually says.....

Lots of smoke and no fire in this one if you ask me

10 minutes ago, LeeF said:

The salary cap doesn't let you do that

Doesnt it? I'm sure I remember seeing clubs do that before. 

I think I remember this happening at Wigan when Fielden went there which was possibly under different rules. 

17 minutes ago, dkw said:

Doesnt it? I'm sure I remember seeing clubs do that before. 

I think I remember this happening at Wigan when Fielden went there which was possibly under different rules. 

The last time I read the salary cap rules - sometime last year - it basically stopped you backloading a contract. Yes you can have normal year on year increases but not say a 20%/80% split

12 minutes ago, my missus said:

and isn't that why wigan had points deducted because "it wasn't in the spirit of the cap"

Yes I think youre right. 

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

The last time I read the salary cap rules - sometime last year - it basically stopped you backloading a contract. Yes you can have normal year on year increases but not say a 20%/80% split

Ooh, they've thought of everything the sods... 

So basically ignore what I said. 

19 minutes ago, longboard said:

Gigot could give the Wolfpack a leg up.

A lamb in wolf's clothing

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

If Gigot joins Toronto, then the club will have more French players than any Super League club other than Catalans. Toronto already has Gadwin  Springer and Hakim Miloudi.

Gigot will be a useful addition to the team because he is a better full back than the current Toronto incumbent, and a better centre than Chase Stanley, and a better stand off than either of the Toronto incumbents.

Archived