The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, aj1908 said:

they do loans where there is no interest.  they vary the principal owing

Don't they charge a set fee up front to broker the transaction? Which I have read can sometimes be more than interest payments, has to be paid upfront thereby increasing the cost, and some of these brokers can be pretty sketchy.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, nmew said:

On another note, I'd love to discuss the idea of implementing a soft salary cap with a luxury tax, with said tax being equally distributed to all other clubs under the cap, as is done in MLB.

I really like this idea. Except there also has to be a salary floor otherwise some clubs will spend as little as possible and pocket the difference.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

It was true originally though, up until last year

And also still is true of teams who arent Toronto. So what do Toronto do if they have a fringe Canadian player? He cant go out on loan or dual reg without counting on the quota.

With regards to Torontos first team squad, it is as large as other first team squads. They just dont have the youngsters earning nothing filling the other spots.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

You tell him Scotchy!...he never listens to me.

It is not true now. The claims that TWP can't sign Canadian 7s players was the other day, all because of the stupid rules. 

The other day. 

2 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Kman, I must confess I actually like the unpainted shield over the black one.

Unpainted it is very masculine and intimidating, especially with the CAD lines...really sharp (both painted and unpainted).

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

It was true originally though, up until last year

And also still is true of teams who arent Toronto. So what do Toronto do if they have a fringe Canadian player? He cant go out on loan or dual reg without counting on the quota.

With regards to Torontos first team squad, it is as large as other first team squads. They just dont have the youngsters earning nothing filling the other spots.

I do wish TWP had a bit more bench depth but really, how much do players 26-30 contribute to a team? If they were any good they'd be in the top 20 at least and if injuries hit and they start moving up the depth chart the team is probably screwed anyway.

3 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

I do wish TWP had a bit more bench depth but really, how much do players 26-30 contribute to a team? If they were any good they'd be in the top 20 at least and if injuries hit and they start moving up the depth chart the team is probably screwed anyway.

Its like flipping a coin...if we have bad injury problems we are in trouble..if we can keep injury free we are in the money.  We will need everybody this season thats for sure...hopefully Wheeler can stay healthy!...he can play alot of positions as can Miloudi and Wallace.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

It would be ridiculous to complain that Toronto haven't found Canadian players in the one year they have been allowed to.

Just silly

That is what I have been trying to tell him Scotchy but he just don't listen!  Produce Canadian SL quality players in one year...CRAZY TALK!

Hopefully you can talk some sense into him....its not that complicated!

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

In most of the top teams players 23-30 are the best youngsters at different stages of their development, some will be ready to play 15-20games if necessary but will probably he closer to 5-10, others probably 1 or 2. 

Some of them will be good, some very good. Some will get an opportunity and take it and play lots of games. That's largely where the big clubs stay big clubs, cheap young players who come in and are quickly amongst the best in SL.

That means in the future our scouting should be focused on spotting young players and signing them from the various academies?

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I was clearly talking about Halal bank accounts

It was this phrase that I was asking about, although I know Halal is more general than it's usage but I've never heard it used to describe a bank account. And I've used banks in Saudi, the Emirates and Qatar.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

23 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

In most of the top teams players 23-30 are the best youngsters at different stages of their development, some will be ready to play 15-20games if necessary but will probably he closer to 5-10, others probably 1 or 2. 

Some of them will be good, some very good. Some will get an opportunity and take it and play lots of games. That's largely where the big clubs stay big clubs, cheap young players who come in and are quickly amongst the best in SL.

I assume they also benefit from training with the big boys under full-time coaches who can tell who has the necessary heart and willingness to learn to make the next step. Makes sense.

19 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

That means in the future our scouting should be focused on spotting young players and signing them from the various academies?

Oooh, can you imagine the uproar if TWP started poaching promising youngsters from other clubs?

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Oooh, can you imagine the uproar if TWP started poaching promising youngsters from other clubs?

Well that seems to be what they want us (force us?) to do if they don't give us the simple request of dispensation after they stole our money.

17 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Yes, that exactly fits with Scotchys points system. Go for it.

There has to be another way...thats why we need the dispensation...let focus on what is good for the game.

3 hours ago, TIWIT said:

I really like this idea. Except there also has to be a salary floor otherwise some clubs will spend as little as possible and pocket the difference.

I don't think that would happen with the relegation possibility - would be a major risk

im torn on the dispensation issue,where do others stand? I want twp to stay up,but could they maybe be given dispensation just for this season?my thoughts are that they spent way too much on contracts last year to get promoted and are now stuck with the contracted players,which plays a big part in this issue. If they are given the leeway for this season,would it be a % of the cap? or could another solution be to let them sign say,another 7 players on a 1 year contract?

If we'd have been asking the dispensation question back in October I might have been ok with it. In fact there's perhaps an argument that it should be available to all promoted teams to balance the lack of time they have to arrange a SL squad. But to be a week away from the season starting it doesn't really feel right.

Maybe if the dispensation is limited to a certain salary level per individual. That way they're restricted to backup level players to cover injuries rather than massively distorting the competition.

Even though I have some sympathy I can't help but think they knew which rules they were signing up to and should have questioned it back then.

10 minutes ago, Moove said:

If we'd have been asking the dispensation question back in October I might have been ok with it. In fact there's perhaps an argument that it should be available to all promoted teams to balance the lack of time they have to arrange a SL squad. But to be a week away from the season starting it doesn't really feel right.

Maybe if the dispensation is limited to a certain salary level per individual. That way they're restricted to backup level players to cover injuries rather than massively distorting the competition.

Even though I have some sympathy I can't help but think they knew which rules they were signing up to and should have questioned it back then.

They did in October November....I'll edit this post when I find the news story.

Edit: theyve been talking about it since late November!  https://www.cbc.ca/sports/rugby/sonny-bill-williams-toronto-wolfpack-rugby-1.5378693

1 minute ago, TboneFromTO said:

They did in October November....I'll edit this post when I find the news story

Fair enough then, should have been sorted by now. Just reading Elstone being critical that it's only being discussed now, guessing the RFL have been dragging their feet then?

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

It would be ridiculous to complain that Toronto haven't found Canadian players in the one year they have been allowed to.

Just silly

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

That is what I have been trying to tell him Scotchy but he just don't listen!  Produce Canadian SL quality players in one year...CRAZY TALK!

Hopefully you can talk some sense into him....its not that complicated!

There isn't any point discussing anything with either of you. I haven't suggested Canadians playing for TWP. In fact I've defended them and said it may be 10 even 20 years, I simply debunked the myths that Canadian players are quota players for TWP. 

That's literally all, but because it is deemed as negative to TWP you have both made arguments up. 

The Canada 7s idea is stupid, it isn't a way to build a Super League squad. 

Try reading what people say instead of getting furious about everything. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

There isn't any point discussing anything with either of you. I haven't suggested Canadians playing for TWP. In fact I've defended them and said it may be 10 even 20 years, I simply debunked the myths that Canadian players are quota players for TWP. 

That's literally all, but because it is deemed as negative to TWP you have both made arguments up. 

The Canada 7s idea is stupid, it isn't a way to build a Super League squad. 

Try reading what people say instead of getting furious about everything. 

You say we should have/can have Canadian players...name one Canadian rugby player of SL quality which we could currently sign...give me just one name.....you can't.

You can't and therefore your point is moot...your argument is therefore also moot since it relies on this one point and this one point only...it is irrelevant in other words. 

I did read what you said, especially that personal insult you sent my way when I was just  trying to have a reasoned discussion...you hurt my feelings you know...you have yet to apologize. 

You can't always be right on everything Dave.

Archived