Sam Hopkins

Carlisle1921

1 hour ago, Cumberland Sausage said:

Hope your right but we will need better luck this season with Injuries.

I do think though that this will be a tougher league to win compared to last season.

Absolutely correct. Barrow will be up there and Newcastle, Doncaster and Hunslet have all invested in striving for promotion, add in Rochdale who have made a number of experienced signings as well as amateur signings and you have the makings of a fairly competitive league where probably on a given day most teams will be able defeat each other.

We are slightly different from the last couple of years where we have lost a lot of the experience but have replaced them with good young players out to make a name for themselves. If we can stay relatively injury free I hope that we can be very competitive. We certainly have one of the best young coaches available and I am impressed with everything he has done so far. If he is able to bring in a couple of big forwards to lay the platform for what is undoubtedly the quickest set of backs we’ve had for a while, I’d be quietly confident we’d be in for an exciting season. 

6 minutes ago, IanMac said:

Absolutely correct. Barrow will be up there and Newcastle, Doncaster and Hunslet have all invested in striving for promotion, add in Rochdale who have made a number of experienced signings as well as amateur signings and you have the makings of a fairly competitive league where probably on a given day most teams will be able defeat each other.

We are slightly different from the last couple of years where we have lost a lot of the experience but have replaced them with good young players out to make a name for themselves. If we can stay relatively injury free I hope that we can be very competitive. We certainly have one of the best young coaches available and I am impressed with everything he has done so far. If he is able to bring in a couple of big forwards to lay the platform for what is undoubtedly the quickest set of backs we’ve had for a while, I’d be quietly confident we’d be in for an exciting season. 

Watch Keighley . Been building quite nicely 

I don’t buy this experience crack. Have we not got scholey, Miller, forber, Doran, Dawson, maudling, etc????? The likes of fell And Dec as well have experience in the championship. Super league experience means nothing In this league it’s totally different. Did Lupton, dowes, tansey, snd the like solve our issues because of the level theyd played at? Not at all, people seem to get hung up on these experienced older players. Just crazy talk really 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

43 minutes ago, wonky said:

I don’t buy this experience crack. Have we not got scholey, Miller, forber, Doran, Dawson, maudling, etc????? The likes of fell And Dec as well have experience in the championship. Super league experience means nothing In this league it’s totally different. Did Lupton, dowes, tansey, snd the like solve our issues because of the level theyd played at? Not at all, people seem to get hung up on these experienced older players. Just crazy talk really 

It’s not crazy talk at all . You can talk about us in the last couple of years and not achieving our aims , but I’d say our experience from higher levels did their job for us in the main and it is crucial in this league . Penky was great in his ability but also his old head organising everyone else . That’s what these players give . Other factors like injuries and lacking depth and overall quality did for us . More generally look around and you’ll see all the teams looking to get somewhere and those who get promoted build to a good degree on experienced players from SL groundings who get them around and do a solid job week in week out , as well as giving a lead to others . It’s totally wrong to generally say SL experience means nothing in this league - we see it when we play teams and you’ll see it this year with all the teams we play . You need a good mix but imo been there seen it done it counts for a fair bit at this level 

I think Lupton was outstanding in spells to be honest.

But olly shows what an old head does, that's what every team needs as a leader. Someone in the middle setting up for the half backs to set up the plays and that's what we lack, however with big tom, stevie and especially dawson we have the platform for it minus the big guy who chris will hopefully has identified or is on the look out for.

Alex Rowe was the kind of player I was hoping we got until hunslet snapped him up.

1 hour ago, havenhater said:

I think Lupton was outstanding in spells to be honest.

But olly shows what an old head does, that's what every team needs as a leader. Someone in the middle setting up for the half backs to set up the plays and that's what we lack, however with big tom, stevie and especially dawson we have the platform for it minus the big guy who chris will hopefully has identified or is on the look out for.

Alex Rowe was the kind of player I was hoping we got until hunslet snapped him up.

Unfortunately he lives in Leeds...

Archived