Sam Hoplins to Rochdale Hornets

Joe 90

Former Super League forward joins Rochdale

Former Super League forward joins Rochdale

23rd January 2020 Josh McAllister League 1 0

Screen-Shot-2019-02-11-at-08.11.03-678x3

Rochdale Hornets have announced the signing of Sam Hopkins for the 2020 League 1 season.

Hopkins, 29, began his career at Leigh Centurions, making his professional debut in 2011.

The Welsh international was a part of the 2016 Leigh promotion-winning side, and made 26 appearances in the top division.

He made 23 appearances for Workington Town in 2019 alongside Sean Penkywicz.

“After talks with Andy Mazey and seeing what’s going on at Rochdale recently, I knew the Hornets would be a great fit for me,” said Hopkins.

“I hope I can help them achieve all they want to this year. I’m very grateful for the opportunity and I really look forward to working with Matt Calland and getting stuck in with the lads.”

On the latest signing, head coach Matt Calland added: “I am really excited to get a player of Sam’s experience.

“He has played at Super League level with Leigh, having played over 100 games for them.

“He has also played for Wales and his influence on what is a young forward pack will be invaluable.”

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Hatethejam14 said:

That's what we said at workington but I didn't  work out that way ?

Sorry it didn't work out at Worky, but Sam is a good lad, perhaps unsettled and lost a bit of interest after moving from Toronto. He is fixed up with an electrical apprenticeship at club sponsors SR Waite now https://www.srwaite.com/sr-waite-group/ and hopefully will settle better at Hornets. Good Luck this season !

Archived