Great Britain was just for English purposes

Or so it seems if you read into Lachlan Coote’s quotes...

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/18173850.lachlan-coote-sights-scotland-world-cup-place/

Coote says the fact that he is not eligible for England, with Bennett keeping one eye on the 2021 World Cup, also played a part in his non-selection, although he has no complaints about the way he was treated and appreciated the coach's honesty.

"I'm not eligible for England, my grandma is Scottish, and I think that was probably another reason," he said

"Wayne did touch on the fact that I'm not going to be part of the England squad.

-

Wow!

For balance I think it is worth pointing out that the first few paragraphs of the article cover the fact that Coote was selected for the first game of the tour, played poorly and was subsequently dropped.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

27 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/18173850.lachlan-coote-sights-scotland-world-cup-place/

Coote says the fact that he is not eligible for England, with Bennett keeping one eye on the 2021 World Cup, also played a part in his non-selection, although he has no complaints about the way he was treated and appreciated the coach's honesty.

"I'm not eligible for England, my grandma is Scottish, and I think that was probably another reason," he said

"Wayne did touch on the fact that I'm not going to be part of the England squad.

-

Wow!

Hardly groundbreaking news. We all thought as much with the comments Bennett made about planning for WC2021 at the time. Hopefully it’s the last of GB we’ll hear, because it was a total disaster from start to finish 

16 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Hardly groundbreaking news. We all thought as much with the comments Bennett made about planning for WC2021 at the time. Hopefully it’s the last of GB we’ll hear, because it was a total disaster from start to finish 

A touring GB side with some genuine Welsh, Scottish and Irish players, going Down Under every 4 years would be great. Sadly last autumn’s effort was nothing like that though, and it’s unlikely to ever happen unless the game takes off in Scotland and/or Ireland and grows in Wales, or top Union players from those countries make the switch. 

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

A touring GB side with some genuine Welsh, Scottish and Irish players, going Down Under every 4 years would be great. Sadly last autumn’s effort was nothing like that though, and it’s unlikely to ever happen unless the game takes off in Scotland and/or Ireland and grows in Wales, or top Union players from those countries make the switch. 

The game has no chance of kicking off here if our branch continues to go out its way to be apart of "GB". Rugby league Ireland is an embarrassment to Irish fans and why I have absolutely no interest in how the team does. The longhorns and the pacific islands is what gets my interest in the rugby world and that's not changing anytime soon after the GB fiasco.

1 hour ago, Keith989 said:

The game has no chance of kicking off here if our branch continues to go out its way to be apart of "GB". Rugby league Ireland is an embarrassment to Irish fans and why I have absolutely no interest in how the team does. The longhorns and the pacific islands is what gets my interest in the rugby world and that's not changing anytime soon after the GB fiasco.

Why is Rugby League Ireland an embarrassment? Don’t know much about them tbh. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why is Rugby League Ireland an embarrassment? Don’t know much about them tbh. 

Clamoring to be apart of "team GB", not bringing in quotas for Irish grown players in the national team; the national side is seen as a joke among rugby fans here. They are clearly an English organisation masquerading as Irish, who seem more than happy to keep the status quo. So long as they keep getting to play their English C team every four years in a world cup, that nobody over here gives a damn about and pick up a few quid they're happy. 

Clamoring to be apart of "team GB", not bringing in quotas for Irish grown players in the national team; the national side is seen as a joke among rugby fans here. They are clearly an English organisation masquerading as Irish, who seem more than happy to keep the status quo. So long as they keep getting to play their English C team every four years in a world cup, that nobody over here gives a damn about and pick up a few quid they're happy. 

Thanks Keith. So despite the popularity of Gaelic football, hurling, football, Union etc do you think there might be an appetite for Rugby League in Ireland, if there were more Irish players in the national team and some development pathways? Good news if so, it would be great to see an Irish team enter League One at some point (sorry flat cappers). 

Has anyone got any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that this tour - which hit all the supposed targets that we need rugby league to have in that it was on the BBC, it harked back to when rugby league was last well known etc - actually did generate any new interest in rugby league?

Because it would be nice to think it wasn't all a total costly failure brought on by the need to satisfy nostalgics who've yet to get over the fact that the world has moved on a fair bit since 1990.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I don't think it was just for England purposes, otherwise we would have just had a tour by England. The fact is Coote was picked by England in the first game, had a shocker, and wasnt picked again. If he had played well I'm sure he would have kept his spot. I think Coote should look a little closer to home.

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

Thanks Keith. So despite the popularity of Gaelic football, hurling, football, Union etc do you think there might be an appetite for Rugby League in Ireland, if there were more Irish players in the national team and some development pathways? Good news if so, it would be great to see an Irish team enter League One at some point (sorry flat cappers). 

Absolutely yes. Irish people love to jump on a bandwagon, sure cricket went from complete obscurity here to selling 10k tickets for a home game in Dublin in a very short space of time off the back of a few great results. 

The main problem is the lack of high profile internationals on league.

In fairness to him he did say his performance didn’t merit selection versus New Zealand . He mentioned not being English later in the piece , but he always seems a fairly upfront honest bloke so I don’t think overall in terms of being dropped he’s looking for excuses 

Absolutely yes. Irish people love to jump on a bandwagon, sure cricket went from complete obscurity here to selling 10k tickets for a home game in Dublin in a very short space of time off the back of a few great results. 

The main problem is the lack of high profile internationals on league.

Cricket has always had a decent number of clubs and support for the game in Ireland. It's not really a like for like comparison. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Cricket has always had a decent number of clubs and support for the game in Ireland. It's not really a like for like comparison. 

It is a fair comparison in the sense that the Ireland team was just as unknown (crowds in the 100s for national games pre 07) but yeah it's not a fair comparison in such that cricket has an international calendar which takes center stage, so they can actually grow the game.

It is a fair comparison in the sense that the Ireland team was just as unknown (crowds in the 100s for national games pre 07) but yeah it's not a fair comparison in such that cricket has an international calendar which takes center stage, so they can actually grow the game.

No its not fair in the sense that Ireland has a fairly vibrant Cricket scene and always has. It is played in some schools and in some areas there are more Cricket clubs than RU. It is obviously far easier to gain traction with that base as opposed to a handful of RU clubs and players playing RL in the off season. It is not a valid comparison.

54 minutes ago, Damien said:

No its not fair in the sense that Ireland has a fairly vibrant Cricket scene and always has. It is played in some schools and in some areas there are more Cricket clubs than RU. It is obviously far easier to gain traction with that base as opposed to a handful of RU clubs and players playing RL in the off season. It is not a valid comparison.

Gosh you really do argue the smallest things. The fact is that the attendances for national games would have been comparable before Ireland's heroics at the 07 world cup. 

Anyway the original point was just that we, Irish fans love to jump on a bandwagon. Leagues lack of an international scene just doesn't give that opportunity.

19 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Gosh you really do argue the smallest things. The fact is that the attendances for national games would have been comparable before Ireland's heroics at the 07 world cup. 

Anyway the original point was just that we, Irish fans love to jump on a bandwagon. Leagues lack of an international scene just doesn't give that opportunity.

Sorry for taking an alternative view and pointing out the rather large flaw in your argument. The sellouts at Stormont pre 2006 must also be a figment of my imagination. If you don't like alternative view then I suggest you are in the wrong place. Ireland RL in its present form, full of heritage players, could have all the success under the sun and no one in Ireland would give two hoots and few would even be aware.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Sorry for taking an alternative view and pointing out the rather large flaw in your argument. The sellouts at Stormont pre 2006 must also be a figment of my imagination. If you don't like alternative view then I suggest you are in the wrong place. Ireland RL in its present form, full of heritage players, could have all the success under the sun and no one in Ireland would give two hoots and few would even be aware.

Alternative view, good one. The original point was how unknown the Irish cricket team was before success. To deny their obscurity in the minds of irish sports fans is just ridiculous. Obviously the situations aren't going to be exact same but all i was saying was irish fans are glory supporters, hence why nearly every person you meet here supports an english premier league club.

If there was a 6 nations type tournament every year in league and Ireland managed to beat a full strength England a couple of times who knows you could get a good few people jump on the bandwagon..

On 24/01/2020 at 06:50, welshmagpie said:

-

Wow!

I am not sure what all this is about. Coote qualifies for Scotland. He was picked for GB. He played poorly and was dropped.  My gripe about Benett is the mix of his half backs after the first game. 

18 hours ago, Damien said:

15 hours ago, Keith989 said:

Alternative view, good one. The original point was how unknown the Irish cricket team was before success. To deny their obscurity in the minds of irish sports fans is just ridiculous. Obviously the situations aren't going to be exact same but all i was saying was irish fans are glory supporters, hence why nearly every person you meet here supports an english premier league club.

If there was a 6 nations type tournament every year in league and Ireland managed to beat a full strength England a couple of times who knows you could get a good few people jump on the bandwagon..

You're both right.

Ireland has a very small, but genuine and committed, cricket grassroots that Rugby League doesn't have. However it's also true that before we beat England a few years ago in whatever tournament it was we beat England in it had made practically zero penetration in wider Irish society. It's still a tiny minority sport though, albeit bigger than Rugby League.

The important point that's relevant for this thread is that anyone who thinks that involving Ireland in "Great Britain RL" is a good way to promote the sport here is someone who knows absolutely nothing about Ireland and should be nowhere near the administration of a sport. So that includes everyone at Rugby League Ireland, most of whom are probably English.

On 24/01/2020 at 18:50, Keith989 said:

Keith, we are honestly very appreciative of your interest in what we are trying to do at longhorns. Ourselves we are starting to compete with NCL sides and are hoping eventually we will make history gaining entry into the second round of the challenge cup after our narrow loss this year. 
We personally try to work closely with Rugby League Ireland and would like to promote them for the 2021 World Cup as we will hopefully have some of our lads in the squad. 
Only one current member of the RLI board was born in England as the board was changed recently to bring new ideas especially the promotion of domestic players into the senior set up.

This year a domestic Rugby league Ireland team which featured 11 longhorns played 

-Norway senior side

-Featherstone reserves x2

-keighley cougars reserves 

-England knights u23s 

which were watched closely by RLI senior coaches, that gave longhorns players James mulvany & Matt Coade the chance to be given their appearances against Italy and Spain respectively 

currently at the moment we are trying to promote domestic players to be added into the World Cup squad by giving them the opportunity to be seen. Currently players from Ireland domestic and longhorns are playing in England 

James Mulvany- trialist at Sheffield eagles

aaron ryan- Coventry bears

Peter ryan- Coventry bears

Fiach millward- Coventry bears

alexandro Kev varga- leeds Uni

Ronan Micheal- Huddersfield Giants/ Canberra raiders 

I hope this helps an insight from the previous RLI board/ World Cup and that you will be looking out for some of our boys in the World Cup squad as the experience they gain from playing or training helps develop these players to bring these skills home to the domestic game to progress or for them to gain the acquired skills to gain top level. 
regards 

Longhorns RL 

1 hour ago, The Longhorns RL said:

Keith, we are honestly very appreciative of your interest in what we are trying to do at longhorns. Ourselves we are starting to compete with NCL sides and are hoping eventually we will make history gaining entry into the second round of the challenge cup after our narrow loss this year. 
We personally try to work closely with Rugby League Ireland and would like to promote them for the 2021 World Cup as we will hopefully have some of our lads in the squad. 
Only one current member of the RLI board was born in England as the board was changed recently to bring new ideas especially the promotion of domestic players into the senior set up.

This year a domestic Rugby league Ireland team which featured 11 longhorns played 

-Norway senior side

-England knights u23s 

which were watched closely by RLI senior coaches, that gave longhorns players James mulvany & Matt Coade the chance to be given their appearances against Italy and Spain respectively 

currently at the moment we are trying to promote domestic players to be added into the World Cup squad by giving them the opportunity to be seen. Currently players from Ireland domestic and longhorns are playing in England 

I hope this helps an insight from the previous RLI board/ World Cup and that you will be looking out for some of our boys in the World Cup squad as the experience they gain from playing or training helps develop these players to bring these skills home to the domestic game to progress or for them to gain the acquired skills to gain top level. 
regards 

Longhorns RL 

Great riposte but don’t expect Keith to respond accordingly as it doesn’t fit his mantra. Keep up the good work 

11 hours ago, The Longhorns RL said:

-Norway senior side

-England knights u23s 

regards 

Longhorns RL 

That's great to hear, sounds like things are changing for the better. Good luck for the rest of the season, I'll be keeping an eye out for the results. 

Archived