Super League Launch

Dave T

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was solid. Better than last couple of years. Didn't massively get the focus on 'we' and then showing one man of steel for example, just so they could have a forced "we play League" slogan, which I despise. Our sport is Rugby League. 

But it shows some great moments, it looked like a standard Sky Sports promo tho. 

Agree with mok. 6.5 at best. 

Average. I'm not a fan of the players reading scripted slogans - it all too often comes off as stilted and inauthentic. I'd rather the focus was on the emotion, the fans and above all the action like the new Nine/NRL one:

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

Average. I'm not a fan of the players reading scripted slogans - it all too often comes off as stilted and inauthentic. I'd rather the focus was on the emotion, the fans and above all the action like the new Nine/NRL one:

Interesting - I think that NRL one is pretty lazy tbh 

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

Average. I'm not a fan of the players reading scripted slogans - it all too often comes off as stilted and inauthentic. I'd rather the focus was on the emotion, the fans and above all the action like the new Nine/NRL one.

Absolutely. I’d like a promo that shows how much the game means to people as well as player action. A narrative that says ‘This is a f***ing great sport. People who like it, love it. Here’s why.’ 

1 minute ago, FearTheVee said:

Interesting - I think that NRL one is pretty lazy tbh 

It's the Nine one, I presume there will be a separate NRL one. But putting the recycling of Miss NSWRL 1988 to one side, I think it gets across a much better, clearer and more accessible message than the SL one.

For many years we've read posters on here stating we need to push the profile of our stars , we do it , and quite possibly the same posters complain , it was good finished well in ' brooding ' fashion with Sonny walking out of the dark into the light , a message well put across 

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

For many years we've read posters on here stating we need to push the profile of our stars , we do it , and quite possibly the same posters complain , it was good finished well in ' brooding ' fashion with Sonny walking out of the dark into the light , a message well put across 

The players are everything but if you’re a newbie and don’t know James Maloney from a baloney sandwich then what will this promo do for them? 

42 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I think you are overstating the point. I hated last years, thought it was . This years is ok. But we are critiquing it because we are RL fans on an RL forum, nothing more than that. None of it is make or break or overly controversial. 

It is 10 times better than last year IMHO, but it doesn't mean I can't talk about the things I don't like on an RL forum. It feels a bit disjointed to me. 

It's good that many people liked it. And thankfully it's not bad, but I'm in the 6.5/10 camp.

It could have, and IMO, should have been a lot better.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Loved that. Not a fan of their on field product as the game is too structured/rigid there, but their promos are good. The reverse is the case here, much more entertaining product, promos are a bit meh. The latest one ain’t bad though...much better than blethering Jonny Vegas, or the Brownlee brothers doing exercises. WTF? 

Promos shouldn’t be that difficult. Even the BBC can put out a great promo when it wants. Most recent being last week, before the Liverpool vs Manchester United game on Match of the Day, alluding to Liverpool not having won the league in 30 years, starts with Mark Chapman saying ”A lot can happen in 30 years”..

Starts at exactly 1 minute in (lasts for a minute), starts with Mandela’s release, Thatcher leaving number 10, Oasis, Spice Girls, Millennium, changing phones, Blair, all interspersed with clips of Man U winning league titles galore. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000dm3v/match-of-the-day-2-201920-19012020

It really hit home (not that it was needed) just how long it’s been since Liverpool won the league with everything that’s happened since then. A good promo can sum up everything in a short burst.

Archived