Challenge Cup Sponsorship

The world is populated with hypocrites and at some point one of these hypocrites draws a line and all the other hypocrites call them out. What is a bit of fun for one person is toxic for another. The free bets the reduced odds etc are targeted to certain people. 

If  you rail against one ill of this world and accept another, yes that make you a hypocrite but by the pure definition we are all hypocrites. So we should not rail against anyone who pricks our conscience, just to make ourselves feel ok.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

No idea who that is. Are you avoiding answering my question though?

not avoiding answering. Just pointing you in the right direction. 

the issue of sponsorship does arise from time to time on here, as if the RFL, SL etc are doing nothing. I don't share that view.

15 hours ago, JohnM said:

There are enough people in the world preaching to others what they should and should not do without adding to the problem.

Agreed. Some people get their panties in a twist over the smallest of issues.

The question of whether the Government will, at some stage, issue restrictions on the sponsorship activities of betting companies is interesting. It's possibly not so straightforward given the existence of the National Lottery. 

Prior to the launch of the National Lottery in 1994 there were really heavy restrictions on betting shops and the promotional activities of betting companies. For example with the shops it was illegal to provide refreshments, toilets or even chairs and the inside couldn't be visible from the street and opening hours were subject to strict restrictions - no late night or Sunday. The parent companies were banned from advertising on TV and had other restrictions like not being able to sponsor teams/events.

The National Lottery changed all that. The betting companies successfully argued that playing the Lottery was a form of gambling, and that they should be able to compete with the new national game. The Government loosened most of the restrictions on betting companies, doing away with the old dingy betting shops and permitting sponsorship.

I guess that as in so many other things no one in 1994 would have predicted where we'd be now in terms of gambling companies and even the National Lottery. Both institutions are now a long way from their roots, particularly betting companies. However, the National Lottery is STILL a form of gambling so it could be that any restrictions would have to apply to it also. And maybe even the likes of the Postcode Lottery and Health Lottery.

It'll be a can of worms. One thing'll be for sure, the betting companies won't go without a fight.

PS And for those of you who say 'Aah, but, the National Lottery is really gambling', you are wrong.

9 hours ago, Number 16 said:

PS And for those of you who say 'Aah, but, the National Lottery is really gambling', you are wrong.

I see it more of a stupidly tax, half the money you pay goes to government social projects. The more stupid you are the more you pay into this system ( I do it occasionally so I’m not saying I don’t have any stupidity).

Maybe the way around this is that in order to advertise then the gambling company needs to give 50% of the money wagered to the lottery fund.

Archived