coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very quiet in town today. Its weird.

On a call with banking, regulatory and government reps as i type. 

Key messages: 

Buy healthcare stock in China. Buy it now. 

Hope it doesn't reach India.

Supply chain shift ..watch this space on that

Otherwise nothing new.. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

3 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Key messages: 

Otherwise nothing new.. 

Are you in China?

The death of a Chinese doctor who tried to warn about the coronavirus outbreak has sparked an unprecedented level of public anger and grief in China.

Li Wenliang died after contracting the virus while treating patients in Wuhan.

Last December he sent a message to fellow medics warning of a virus he thought looked like Sars - another deadly coronavrius.

But he was told by police to "stop making false comments" and was investigated for "spreading rumours".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51409801

43 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Alert level now orange in Singapore. No real impact but crikey its quiet.

Just had me tea at a place thats always full so swings and roundabouts

Raffles?

Is it still tradition to throw the peanut shell on the floor? It’s 12 years since I was last there, Singapore is one of my favourite Cities.

On 02/02/2020 at 17:54, Copa said:

Anthony Mundine... ?

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/australian-coronavirus-cases-at-9-as-qantas-heads-to-china-to-pick-up-evacuees/news-story/e1b84297504cafa47c614af643ab7bbc
“I don’t even think this Coronavirus is real,” he wrote on his Team Mundine page.

“I think it’s a ploy to give a mass vaccine, look into it.”

Mundine clearly showing again the effects of too many punches to the head from his boxing days

2 hours ago, dribbles said:

Probably time to ban travel/trade outbound from China till they get this sorted 

Maybe too late. Singapore has infected people who have no links to anyone from China travel. 

Again, absolute carnage this morning at the shops. 

My wine fridge is stocked and the pool is right there.. what to do all weekend

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

12 hours ago, dribbles said:

Probably time to ban travel/trade outbound from China till they get this sorted out.

Yeah we should despatch the Navy to keep them in, they will be shitting themselves.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 07/02/2020 at 18:35, MattSantos said:

Key messages: 

Otherwise nothing new.. 

https://www.news.com.au/finance/markets/australian-dollar/australian-dollar-tumbles-to-fresh-decade-low-as-coronavirus-fears-stifles-exports-to-china/news-story/3c0ed639d2024a69f5ad36b5e1a6047a

could be right about global recession 

The recovery rate is steadily climbing. Recoveries outnumber deaths now by about 3:6 to 1. A week ago it was only 2:1. Of course this is partly about the process. Once a case is confirmed, a person can die much faster than they can be officially recovered. And there is still only one death outside China which could mean a few different things. One option would be that other health systems are better at dealing with corona than China's.

The number of confirmed cases passed 20K on 3 Feb so, allowing a 14-day period without illness before a person can be classed as recovered, we may start to see a huge jump in recoveries.

And finally, to keep it in proportion, since the start of this year, 2,000 Australians have died from smoking. A corona death toll of 900 is still fairly minor. 30,000 people worldwide have died from malaria already this year, based on average death toll over the last few years.

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

The recovery rate is steadily climbing. Recoveries outnumber deaths now by about 3:6 to 1. A week ago it was only 2:1. Of course this is partly about the process. Once a case is confirmed, a person can die much faster than they can be officially recovered. And there is still only one death outside China which could mean a few different things. One option would be that other health systems are better at dealing with corona than China's.

The number of confirmed cases passed 20K on 3 Feb so, allowing a 14-day period without illness before a person can be classed as recovered, we may start to see a huge jump in recoveries.

And finally, to keep it in proportion, since the start of this year, 2,000 Australians have died from smoking. A corona death toll of 900 is still fairly minor. 30,000 people worldwide have died from malaria already this year, based on average death toll over the last few years.

But you can't catch ' smoking or malaria ' from other people 

Never heard of passive smoking? OK you don't "catch smoking" but you can "catch" lung cancer from other people smoking. Also most mosquitoes pick up the malaria plasmodium while biting humans. So effectively, yes, you do catch malaria from other people.

It also appears that, outside China, it's pretty difficult to catch corona from other people. There are 376 cases outside China (including the 36 cases in Hong Kong) for a killer plague that has been around since early December. 64 of those cases are on the cruise ship moored off Tokyo. It's hard to imagine a better environment for disease transmission than a cruise ship. There has still only been one death outside China and, AFAIK, there hasn't been a death yet of a non-Chinese person.

I check the data every day and what I'm seeing is a failure of Chinese authorities to deal with corona. They were slow to identify the pathogen. Their initial reaction was deny and cover-up. And by the time that strategy was clearly failing, they had let the numbers blow out to where their own resources were inadequate.

Officially, China has only confirmed 400 new cases in the last 24 hours so maybe they've finally got their systems working properly.

10 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Never heard of passive smoking? OK you don't "catch smoking" but you can "catch" lung cancer from other people smoking. Also most mosquitoes pick up the malaria plasmodium while biting humans. So effectively, yes, you do catch malaria from other people.

It also appears that, outside China, it's pretty difficult to catch corona from other people. There are 376 cases outside China (including the 36 cases in Hong Kong) for a killer plague that has been around since early December. 64 of those cases are on the cruise ship moored off Tokyo. It's hard to imagine a better environment for disease transmission than a cruise ship. There has still only been one death outside China and, AFAIK, there hasn't been a death yet of a non-Chinese person.

I check the data every day and what I'm seeing is a failure of Chinese authorities to deal with corona. They were slow to identify the pathogen. Their initial reaction was deny and cover-up. And by the time that strategy was clearly failing, they had let the numbers blow out to where their own resources were inadequate.

Officially, China has only confirmed 400 new cases in the last 24 hours so maybe they've finally got their systems working properly.

Yes but it's not like the whole planet knows smoking is stupid 

As I put above , are we having some kind of strange competition ?

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes but it's not like the whole planet knows smoking is stupid 

As I put above , are we having some kind of strange competition ?

No we're maintaining a sense of proportion. Well, some of us are.

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

No we're maintaining a sense of proportion. Well, some of us are.

Proportion is fine if you are dealing with known quantifyable issues , viral diseases like this aren't , that's why it's a major problem , one day one might come along that won't be as easy to control

16 minutes ago, Shadow said:

More people will die from Flu and Measles this year but the hysteria over the Corona virus seems a touch excessive. 

It really is.

My office area is a ghost town. Panic over the weekend was embarrassing.

Archived