coronavirus

On 10/02/2020 at 09:13, Shadow said:

More people will die from Flu and Measles this year but the hysteria over the Corona virus seems a touch excessive. 

People under-emphasise flu and measles. Their impacts are high enough that I'm quite a zealot when it comes to people "opting out" of flu vaccines, especially when they work in high-contact environments such as healthcare. Immunise those who can take it to protect those who can't and those at highest risk of dying.

That's why the coronavirus thing is so important as it'll overwhelmingly kill those who are vulnerable (with outliers of the healthy dying as well).

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now this is exaggeration. This won't be a problem. Londoners love giving everyone lots of personal space on the tube and their personal hygiene over sneezing means that no-one is at risk.

The thought of the Central line at rush hour makes me shudder on a normal spring or autumn day. In summer, it's a sweatshop of stinky overheating people. In winter, it's an almost permanent parody of people coughing and sneezing, some into their hands that they then immediately wipe on the pole they're holding onto.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

32 minutes ago, ckn said:

Now this is exaggeration. This won't be a problem. Londoners love giving everyone lots of personal space on the tube and their personal hygiene over sneezing means that no-one is at risk.

The thought of the Central line at rush hour makes me shudder on a normal spring or autumn day. In summer, it's a sweatshop of stinky overheating people. In winter, it's an almost permanent parody of people coughing and sneezing, some into their hands that they then immediately wipe on the pole they're holding onto.

Yes - I can absolutely hate it at times taking public transport like trains. Having to take the Overground everyday to and from work, I try and avoid touching any of the poles or seats with my hands.

Had a Chinese takeaway for lunch today. The young Chinese lad serving had a sweatshirt on with "Tokyo, Japan" across the front. ?

On 19/02/2020 at 14:25, ckn said:

Had a Chinese takeaway for lunch today. The young Chinese lad serving had a sweatshirt on with "Tokyo, Japan" across the front. ?

What level of knowledge are we dealing with in this country?

I ran a pub quiz at work and one of the questions began, "Which Chinese city ..."

The majority answer was Tokyo.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Who fancies a cruise on the ' Corona Princess ' next year ?

They do have the option of changing the name, something that does happen in the cruise business. It gets a good score in Berlitz Cruising and Cruise Ships.

Imagine trying to get travel and health insurance next year. "What did you say the name of the ship was,  sir. " ..er.. Diamond Princess....." ????

44 minutes ago, JohnM said:

They do have the option of changing the name, something that does happen in the cruise business. It gets a good score in Berlitz Cruising and Cruise Ships.

Imagine trying to get travel and health insurance next year. "What did you say the name of the ship was,  sir. " ..er.. Diamond Princess....." ????

As my Dad said yesterday " they might as well scuttle it " 

On 13/02/2020 at 16:18, ckn said:

Seriously i was in London recently and travelled on the tube and was astonished how many Chinese people were on it compared to last year when i was there. I presumed rightly or wrongly that quite a few are recently arrived from Hong Kong after the recent troubles there.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Travellers who've been to Italian blockaded towns added to the "self-isolate now" list.

A bit late... should have done this immediately on Italy sealing them off as by now they could have contaminated quite a bit.

Our response to this bit seems a bit a woolly.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

It really is... 4 people confirmed with it sent to 3 separate hospitals, effectively trebling the risk of accidental infection of others.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

A new one just out... our hospitals have been told not to stockpile face masks. Not to protect supply chains or anything else, just because... The one place you really want a significant stockpile is hospitals, you'd think.

6 minutes ago, ckn said:

A new one just out... our hospitals have been told not to stockpile face masks. Not to protect supply chains or anything else, just because... The one place you really want a significant stockpile is hospitals, you'd think.

You actual what?

4 minutes ago, Copa said:

It will be all through EU within a week or two?

I wonder how it will affect sporting events like Super League?

It's already affected the women's Six Nations and the rugby union Pro 14.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's already affected the women's Six Nations and the rugby union Pro 14.

People are getting worried about the Olympics already.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Stock markets are panicked.  A big dip in the Chinese markets could be the start of a big plunge (it was ‘due’ but always needed a push).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Local news said that people have already been seen walking about the streets of London with masks on. 

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Archived