coronavirus

Our company is asking that anyone returning from Italy, China, South Korea etc, work from home for 2 weeks.

It’s almost tempting to book a weekend in Rome and ‘work’ from home for 14 days!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Our company is asking that anyone returning from Italy, China, South Korea etc, work from home for 2 weeks.

It’s almost tempting to book a weekend in Rome and ‘work’ from home for 14 days!

Same for us. All international work travel suspended unless approved by CEO. Self-quarantine for 2 weeks if returning from a hot spot.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

You aren't a train driver are you? ???

AB In- Bev report that they have lost £132 million in sales in China of Corona beer in the first 2 months of this year. They say it's because no one is going out to bars and restaurants, maybe but I think the name maybe having a effect worldwide, try something more popular like Whitchpi*s.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

You aren't a train driver are you? ???

I spend around 15 hours a week on a train or tube... so I'm afraid I do too many hours!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

24 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I spend around 15 hours a week on a train or tube... so I'm afraid I do too many hours!

This you? ? 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

This you? ? 

No, the worst I have seen so far is people with particulate filter masks on.  

I do have an S10 lying around mind you...

i have seen some preliminary data from China saying people who had the virus and recovered can become positive for the virus again and thus carriers.

As far as i understand from my limited epidemiology that would mean Coronavirus is pretty much unstoppable, best you just get it over and done with whilst healthy. Can't see a vaccination within 6-9mths

1 hour ago, SSoutherner said:

i have seen some preliminary data from China saying people who had the virus and recovered can become positive for the virus again and thus carriers.

As far as i understand from my limited epidemiology that would mean Coronavirus is pretty much unstoppable, best you just get it over and done with whilst healthy. Can't see a vaccination within 6-9mths

No,no,no it's all an overreaction , more die from flu and falling down grids during floods ?

The WHO fact finding mission in China shows it is deadlier than the normal flu.  

6 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

Thought it is OK for healthy people (0.5% mortality) but for those over 80 there is 15%mortality, 

Quite a lot of folk have "underlying health conditions" who don't know about those health conditions - think of sportsmen having heart attacks on the field for example.

Quite a lot of folk with underlying health conditions are active members of society whose death would be quite problematic not just because people probably like them but also because they actually do things.

And if just 500 million healthy people globally come into contact with a virus that kills 0.5% of them that's still 2.5m dead people. (I'm sure the infection rate is lower but that'd still be a ... pain? I was quite surprised reading around to see that swine flu was linked with c.500,000 extra deaths in 2009).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The South Korea news this morning of over 800 new cases in a day is the worrying one. China is still quite low volume travel to places like Wuhan and Italy seems to have locked it down quickly, but S Korea is one of these places that is both high volume travel and has missed the lockdown opportunity. There’ll likely be very few major countries where only a few people have come back from there recently. 

Time to buckle up I think. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I have "underlying health conditions" especially in the heart and lung area.  I've had flu jabs every year for years, so significantly reducing the chances of problems in that area. Clearly can't do that at this stage for COVID 19. Would be interested to hear of the mortality rate of the Crow virus (yes, I know, covid nor corvid) amongst people with identified underlying health conditons. Currently reviewing travel plans for March and April, which given the weather, is no big issue.

I think people in general are  currently considering cancelling going to events with large crowds, so the effect on any rugby league internationals will be minimal.

32 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I have "underlying health conditions" especially in the heart and lung area.  I've had flu jabs every year for years, so significantly reducing the chances of problems in that area. Clearly can't do that at this stage for COVID 19. Would be interested to hear of the mortality rate of the Crow virus (yes, I know, covid nor corvid) amongst people with identified underlying health conditons. Currently reviewing travel plans for March and April, which given the weather, is no big issue.

I think people in general are  currently considering cancelling going to events with large crowds, so the effect on any rugby league internationals will be minimal.

Being a proper grumpy northerner will help by insisting on huge personal space boundaries and treating anyone who wants a hug as a deviant. ? 

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Anyone who wants a hug is a deviant!!!!! ?????..... ??

The first time my wife’s family (big huggers) met my family (hugging is for deviants) was beyond amusing. Seeing my mum get a bear hug from my wife’s and my mum’s face ? 

How very interesting...

Maybe the Coronavirus thing is just the earth trying to get rid of it’s infestation of humans. 

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I expect it was something similar to what killed off those dinosaurs. ? 

That was the earth scratching itself and consequently getting a worse infection by continuing to pick. Pariah of the solar system now Earth has humans, bringing shame on the solar system and not talked about at galactic get-togethers.

13 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I’m not one for fanciful theories and hysterical stories but.....it’s clear to see what is happening here. This is in fact, the beginning of a Walking Dead style scenario where a virus wipes out everyone and modern society is decayed and reduced to the law of the jungle. I’m off to get one of those crossbow things and a big stick to fight off the zombie hordes. 
After Ant & Decs’ Saturday Night Takeaway of course. 

We're fine. We already have all the nerf guns in the world and they can easily be converted.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I’m not one for fanciful theories and hysterical stories but.....it’s clear to see what is happening here. This is in fact, the beginning of a Walking Dead style scenario where a virus wipes out everyone and modern society is decayed and reduced to the law of the jungle. I’m off to get one of those crossbow things and a big stick to fight off the zombie hordes. 
After Ant & Decs’ Saturday Night Takeaway of course. 

Yes. Clear to me, also.

So do we have to take out the Head Zombie? Or is that werewolves? Or vampires?

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

The plan is simple.

We lie in the undergrowth waiting. We tie Gingerjon to a post so as to attract the werewolves and vampires- they will be poisoned by ginger blood. 
We also use Bob8 as a foil to attract the zombies (and any gay zombies looking to buy a handsome guy a drink) and when they are near, boom, out we jump and knife them in the head (like on Walking Dead) 

Wallop, world saved and we get the remaining crumpet. Er, women. Er, non binary or whatever that’s left. Re-sult. ??

Rather than sacrifice GingerJon (after all, risking ginger zombies...), may I recommend simply having an outdoor cinema showing repeats of Coronation Street and promising bingo games during advert breaks. That’ll attract them and make them easy targets.

Archived