coronavirus

Singapore:

1. I have been working from home for a while now, 3rd week and theres no end in sight. Most people i know are similar. 

2. If you are visiting from an affected area, youre not allowed in or to transit. If youre returning back from these areas you have to self quarantine for 14 days. If you break this, youre deported. If you go to work, your company is screwed

3. The government will give hawkers and other service industries some money to offset the lower demand

4. You can sign up to a very detailed whatsapp twice daily from the ministry of magic.

Ive been very very impressed with how theyve handled it. Why cant the UK break it up into regions and do the same?

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

Tesco - little fresh veg, no tinned tomatoes, no beans

I called in Tesco yesterday to buy a pack of three memory sticks and they only had two packs. The price had gone up considerably since my previous purchase, when they must have been on offer.

There was a distinct reduction in the numbers of memory sticks and memory cards that are usually on display.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

As someone who fairly often has to wear a mask for work, I know how clacky they get after a couple of hours' wear.

The UK has a population of ~60 million people. Where are we going to get hold of 300million masks?

Buy shares in 3M quick.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

59 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I called in Tesco yesterday to buy a pack of three memory sticks and they only had two packs. The price had gone up considerably since my previous purchase, when they must have been on offer.

There was a distinct reduction in the numbers of memory sticks and memory cards that are usually on display.

If you buy enough do they become a memory branch ?

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

As someone who fairly often has to wear a mask for work, I know how clacky they get after a couple of hours' wear.

The UK has a population of ~60 million people. Where are we going to get hold of 300million masks?

Buy shares in 3M quick.

We used to have these for the farm as no cabs on tractors or combines and my uncle had farmers lung - i think you can get a filter pack suitable for biological hazards. Pre filter above neck, motor and then mian filter over crown with air blown down over face.

First saw them on Tomorrows world as being planned for miners

Image result for airstream helmet

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

Why cant the UK break it up into regions and do the same?

Don't worry. We're busily excluding regional mayors and devolved governments from planning meetings because politics.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Can local elections be postponed if we are in the grip of it in May ?

I've already said the US election in November is going to be postponed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Don't worry, we could all be dead by April anyway according to the Express.

How small is the Earth if that's a 4.1km asteroid?

And, no, I didn't click on the article to read more.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

Don't worry, we could all be dead by April anyway according to the Express.

How small is the Earth if that's a 4.1km asteroid?

And, no, I didn't click on the article to read more.

Fake Daily Express link. There's not a single mention of Diana and they haven't called it an illegal immigrant asteroid.

4 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Fake Daily Express link. There's not a single mention of Diana and they haven't called it an illegal immigrant asteroid.

Illegal aliens...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I did read it and despite the headline in the body text it says

"Asteroid OR2 will drastically cut this down to just 3.9 million miles (6.29 million km) on April 29.

In other words, the space rock is expected to miss us by about 16.36 times the distance from Earth to the Moon."

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Don't worry. We're busily excluding regional mayors and devolved governments from planning meetings because politics.

devolved governments... the top level planning documents is a joint national and devolved government document following the cross devolved government involvement.. Plus the relevant devolved CMO's are working  together.  So you need to explain a little more on your devolved governments non involvement from planning meetings.

As to regional mayors, of which we have various political parties i.e both Labour and Conservative mayors ... what politics... I assume politics with a small P given that they are both Labour and Conservative.  

12 hours ago, Copa said:

People are panic buying toilet paper in Australia.

Australia produces a lot of its own toilet paper so we aren’t going to run out anytime soon.

We also have an enormous agricultural sector but if the virus really kicks off people will panic buy food also.

we have a stock pile of toilet paper... nowt to do with the virus... we still buy toilet paper as if the whole family are still living with us... although its just the two of us now.... every time I open any cupboard their is rolls and rolls of the stuff... 

Mind you stockpiling  of anything is something I grew up with... in that me dad was often on strike for months and me Mam stored food in case... we had sufficient tinned food to last out the longest of strikes many time's over .... its a habit that is ingrained in me from the 60s/70s when me Dad seemed to always be on strike .... He was a Liverpool Docker btw...

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

You really can be silly sometimes.

All the devolved governments have been involved.  

9 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

It's all a big fuss over a form of flu.

Just getting boring now all the scare mongering and panic being created over a glorified cold.

Worse than flu apparently.  More deadly too it seems.  But it appears not to be as good at spreading itself around widely.  The report I just read on the Gruniad included comment from the WHO saying these things.

All but two of the cases in the UK involve people who have returned from trips abroad, particularly Italy (presumably a lot of people went on skiing trips during the February half term!).

Two members of my extended family have serious asthma and my parent is in their 80s so personally I'm nervous, and I'm helping my parent to prepare insofar as we can ever be prepared for something we are likely to have no resilience to.

2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Worse than flu apparently.  More deadly too it seems.  But it appears not to be as good at spreading itself around widely.  The report I just read on the Gruniad included comment from the WHO saying these things.

All but two of the cases in the UK involve people who have returned from trips abroad, particularly Italy (presumably a lot of people went on skiing trips during the February half term!).

Two members of my extended family have serious asthma and my parent is in their 80s so personally I'm nervous, and I'm helping my parent to prepare insofar as we can ever be prepared for something we are likely to have no resilience to.

Having seen and read what I have in connection with this virus it would appear to me that the response has been a tad hysterical.

I take on board your comments regarding your elderly family members. I too have a 81 year old mother who finds out tomorrow the extent of her recent cancer diagnosis who may be at risk of this virus, but at no more risk than other flu like viruses and maladies that affect the elderly in the winter months. 

33 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Just getting boring now all the scare mongering and panic being created over a glorified cold.

Any shortages yet?

1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

Ah no, now I’m convinced you’re a trollIng in my view as a forum member. You don’t go over the line where I’d pay attention as a moderator. You do go into my “do not feed the troll” queue though. 

55 minutes ago, ckn said:

Ah no, now I’m convinced you’re a trollIng in my view as a forum member. You don’t go over the line where I’d pay attention as a moderator. You do go into my “do not feed the troll” queue though. 

Yep, go against the gang and get the old troll accusation.

Nothing I have seen or heard about this virus makes me concerned that it is anything worse than the flu epidemics that regularly occur. It certainly isn't the black death.

Archived