coronavirus

2 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Having seen and read what I have in connection with this virus it would appear to me that the response has been a tad hysterical.

I take on board your comments regarding your elderly family members. I too have a 81 year old mother who finds out tomorrow the extent of her recent cancer diagnosis who may be at risk of this virus, but at no more risk than other flu like viruses and maladies that affect the elderly in the winter months. 

.. One big difference. There is an effective flu vaccine and an effective flu vaccine process. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, JohnM said:

.. One big difference. There is an effective flu vaccine and an effective flu vaccine process. 

Absolutely, any credible clinician treating vulnerable people will have had their flu jab therefore be almost guaranteed not to pass it on to them. This one has no vaccine and people can be carriers for a while before showing. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The winter flus have a death rate of around 1%, the WHO just upped this one to 3.4%. 

The experts seem suitably concerned about it, so not sure it's a scare/hoax/nothing.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

He can't help himself. There is a forum for polical posts. He should use that. 

Nope - very specifically I was responding to a question about why the UK hasn't regionalised and responded.

We haven't because both small p and big P politics get in the way. I'm not getting drawn into a wider debate about it because, as you say, this isn't the politics board.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Britain may be faulty in many ways in its handling of such things, but I’m eternally grateful I don’t live in the US. 

Reasons from it being too expensive and directly billed to patients, to state officials sticking their heads in the sand and hoping it just goes away. 

This thread, rather than politics ones, because it’s meant to help reassure a bit that we’re doing all we can as a country and NHS to try to minimise this. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

We've postponed our early April trip to the Continent  - to Vichy for a friend's 70th bday. Her daughter and son in law live in Paris and they are not travelling either. More cases in France than here. We will not be  continuing to Northern Italy and Germany as planned, either. 

Overall, people are relying on the general willingness of individuals to take the right precautions. Still concerned about screening of people entering the UK by plane, and the provision of information in languages other than English. 

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

We've postponed our early April trip to the Continent  - to Vichy for a friend's 70th bday. Her daughter and son in law live in Paris and they are not travelling either. More cases in France than here. We will not be  continuing to Northern Italy and Germany as planned, either. 

Overall, people are relying on the general willingness of individuals to take the right precautions. Still concerned about screening of people entering the UK by plane, and the provision of information in languages other than English. 

The reason why we’re not putting big efforts into screening is that it doesn’t work. By the time you show temperature symptoms, you’ll be showing other more noticeable ones. 

The language thing is a problem though. 

Daughter is meant to have a school trip to CERN in a few weeks - not convinced that will happen but school want final £200 by this Friday.

As we have a the shut primary schools a couple of miles away I think the Swiss might not let them in more than anything

26 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Daughter is meant to have a school trip to CERN in a few weeks - not convinced that will happen but school want final £200 by this Friday.

As we have a the shut primary schools a couple of miles away I think the Swiss might not let them in more than anything

A shame if  it doesn't go ahead. Could it not just be postponed till say October or such?

Going isn't the problem. It's the (not) coming back!

Granddaughter #4 due to take part in an overnight DoE Award hike in Peak District (in late April I think) but that has now been officially postponed till November.

How many people are hoping to use toilet paper as a low cost tissue?  Its designed to come apart when wet, unlike tissues that are designed not to come apart when wet. Kitchen roll is designed to be strong when wet, according to Mr One Sheet. However, it can irritate skin if you use it to blow your nose...or anyone else's nose  for that matter.

Anyway, off out now for an hour or two. What should I be panic buying?

12 minutes ago, JohnM said:

A shame if  it doesn't go ahead. Could it not just be postponed till say October or such?

Going isn't the problem. It's the (not) coming back!

Granddaughter #4 due to take part in an overnight DoE Award hike in Peak District (in late April I think) but that has now been officially postponed till November.

She leaves school this June so not really - it is the uVI Physics students who are going

2 hours ago, ckn said:

I took part in that! (As did you, probably.) IIRC, it was an app thing that monitored your movements for a day to see who would come into contact with.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

36 minutes ago, ckn said:

The great toilet paper shortage of 2020 continues.

I was at my local a few hours ago and heaps of people had toilet paper in their shopping trolley.

It’s very strange.

We have factories that produce nearly all the toilet paper we could need and the factories are telling people there’s nothing to worry about.

Some stores now have signs up telling customers they can only purchase a limited number of toilet rolls.

11 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

She leaves school this June so not really - it is the uVI Physics students who are going

https://visit.cern/tours/guided-tours

CORONAVIRUS 2019

Our guided tours are cancelled for the next 2 weeks until further notice!
More information available here.

I could send you the information I kept from my time at CERN 1972 -1973 but since that was 48 years ago, its a bit out of date. All of 3 MFOPS  from the CDC 6600  ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDC_6600

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

We cannot begin to imagine the suffering

Thoughts and prayers

Izal's time is coming.

Then we will hear the suffering.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Izal's time is coming.

Then we will hear the suffering.

As noted elsewhere on Twitter, there must be plenty of unsold anti-vax books out there that can be recycled.

It's 2030, the fragments of humanity left now greet each other with Happy Birthday for 20 seconds while washing their hands, and toilet rolls are the established currency. The settled exchange rate is 3 Izals to 1 Andrex, no-one has seen a quilted Andrex in years and they're now a myth.

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

It's 2030, the fragments of humanity left now greet each other with Happy Birthday for 20 seconds while washing their hands, and toilet rolls are the established currency. The settled exchange rate is 3 Izals to 1 Andrex, no-one has seen a quilted Andrex in years and they're now a myth.

Ottawa are still down to enter League 1 "next year".

Archived