coronavirus

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

Our insurance company sent us this useful link. In essence, we'd get nothing back unless the government advises no travel (or no travel except essential).

That seems to be the essence of what the school are saying - as the children could travel there and stare at a locked door we wont get money back (i believe the actual tour itself has no cost)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, shrek said:

Very anecdotal - as someone who frequently works out of McDonalds and Starbucks between appointments, all my usual haunts are noticeably quieter this week.

I often catch up with some folk for a coffee at McDonalds near one of our offices, yesterday it was dead inside but the queue of cars at drive-through was massive.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Our local health centre has texted everyone:

IMPORTANT

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THE GP SURGERY IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE CORONA VIRUS.

YOU SHOULD SELF ISOLATE AT HOME IMMEDIATELY AND GO ONLINE TO  (link) AND CALL NHS 111

DO NOT GO TO THE SURGERY

Just now, JohnM said:

Our local health centre has texted everyone:

IMPORTANT

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THE GP SURGERY IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE CORONA VIRUS.

YOU SHOULD SELF ISOLATE AT HOME IMMEDIATELY AND GO ONLINE TO  (link) AND CALL NHS 111

DO NOT GO TO THE SURGERY

I put the posters up at work yesterday. One version for staff and one version for visitors. Both basically saying exactly that. The key thing being: do not go to a GP but do call 111 who will tell you what to do. The extra bit for us: there are lots of vulnerable people in this building, don't put your selfish interest over their health.

The BBC have a very handy page about symptoms as a refresher.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Economist article: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/03/07/tourism-flows-and-death-rates-suggest-covid-19-is-being-under-reported

Conclusion: South Korea and China test regularly. In both places—excluding Hubei, where the virus began claiming lives before authorities formulated a response—0.5-1% of people who have tested positive have died. In other countries with at least one death, this rate is five times higher. Deaths are easier to count than infections are. The most likely explanation for this gap is that for every person diagnosed in these countries, four more do not know they are infected.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Economist article: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/03/07/tourism-flows-and-death-rates-suggest-covid-19-is-being-under-reported

Conclusion: South Korea and China test regularly. In both places—excluding Hubei, where the virus began claiming lives before authorities formulated a response—0.5-1% of people who have tested positive have died. In other countries with at least one death, this rate is five times higher. Deaths are easier to count than infections are. The most likely explanation for this gap is that for every person diagnosed in these countries, four more do not know they are infected.

Can't decide if that is good news (it is not as deadly as it appears as many have it without noticing) or bad news (we have no idea who has it where they are or who they are transmitting it to)

2 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Can't decide if that is good news (it is not as deadly as it appears as many have it without noticing) or bad news (we have no idea who has it where they are or who they are transmitting it to)

I read it as the harder you stamp on it by testing everyone you suspect, then you limit deaths by being honest about the number of people who actually have it. If you do a US and hope it all goes away then you allow it to spread almost unchallenged, you then get higher deaths both in numbers of deaths vs tests, and numbers of deaths vs what'd have happened if you'd stamped on it heavily.

Lots of unhappy people in Italy over being effectively quarantined, but it does seem to have stopped a rapid rush to epidemic. Delay rather than cure, but that's perfectly valid.

Can you imagine that in the US? Trying to quarantine an entire town would have shots fired within an hour.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

I think the fatality is basically 'no news'. It's run at that 1%-ish line (for total population) the whole time.

The rest is broadly bad news. If we're not testing who has it then we have no way of knowing where it is.

South Korea have performed 109,591 tests, a rate of 2,138 tests per million people.

UK have performed 13,525 tests, a rate of 199 tests per million people.

USA had performed 472 tests, a rate of 1 test per million people, before they stopped publishing test figures.

100,379 total cases, 3,408 deaths. (pretty much bang on 3.4%) 55,988 recoveries, 40,983 active cases.

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

2 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

South Korea have performed 109,591 tests, a rate of 2,138 tests per million people.

UK have performed 13,525 tests, a rate of 199 tests per million people.

USA had performed 472 tests, a rate of 1 test per million people, before they stopped publishing test figures.

100,379 total cases, 3,408 deaths. (pretty much bang on 3.4%) 55,988 recoveries, 40,983 active cases.

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The average death rate is misleading, because it's almost certainly based on under-reporting of infections, but also because your personal chances of dying vary depending on age and prior history.

For example, my daughter is 30 and in very strong health. Her risk would be much lower than average. My wife's mother is 85 and has a history of breathing issues - not so good, I would have thought. Perhaps > 50% if she gets it.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

9 minutes ago, tim2 said:

The average death rate is misleading, because it's almost certainly based on under-reporting of infections, but also because your personal chances of dying vary depending on age and prior history.

For example, my daughter is 30 and in very strong health. Her risk would be much lower than average. My wife's mother is 85 and has a history of breathing issues - not so good, I would have thought. Perhaps > 50% if she gets it.

Well it is an overall average, so in that sense it isn't misleading, but of course there are different percentages for all ages and health conditions.

I don't know if it's just as easy as adding the age percentage and the health percentage, probably not, but hey ho, not my job haha

agepercent.jpg

healthpercent.jpg

29 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Well it is an overall average, so in that sense it isn't misleading, but of course there are different percentages for all ages and health conditions.

Yes, fair point, but the general public are hopeless ignorant about statistics and may well not appreciate the nuances.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

All  i know is that my wife will not go and visit her mother in Devon now as she is just recovering from final (successful) bout of chemo for Lymphoma, is 87, has diabetes and we are in Berkshire 2 miles from the shut primary school and with the first confirmed death in the hospital on my route to work

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I’m really surprised it’s not been done here yet. Get some Skype connections and get folk speaking that way.

Today at work, we were told that it would be a good idea to start taking our laptops home at the end of every workday, in case we were advised to start working from home at short notice. No panic, but being prepared in case of disruption.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Today at work, we were told that it would be a good idea to start taking our laptops home at the end of every workday, in case we were advised to start working from home at short notice. No panic, but being prepared in case of disruption.

Yeah we had that steer a few days back. I expect that will kick in soon. 

I appreciate that Coronavirus is a very serious threat to a large number of people and should be treated as such.

However hearing the daily/hourly news updates of infections/deaths is now getting to the point of achieving nothing but spreading panic.

As a comparison, the average number of deaths from flu in England for the last five seasons, 2014/15 to 2018/19, was 17,000 deaths annually. This ranged from 1,692 deaths last season, 2018/19, to 28,330 deaths in 2014/15.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

My government employer is STILL forcing us all to move around the office again next week and I had to disinfect my keyboard again today as someone used it in the evening.  And the person who came back from Italy but didn't even get a test is still at work, quite possibly infecting us all without any of us yet realising it.

But hey, they have now provided us with handwash at the sinks in the kitchen areas.  Wow.

11 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

My government employer is STILL forcing us all to move around the office again next week and I had to disinfect my keyboard again today as someone used it in the evening.  And the person who came back from Italy but didn't even get a test is still at work, quite possibly infecting us all without any of us yet realising it.

But hey, they have now provided us with handwash at the sinks in the kitchen areas.  Wow.

Glad to see that you own up it is your Government ?

Archived