coronavirus

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I actually meet many of the symptoms... dry slightly sore throat, mild headache, slightly labour breathing...

Though I haven't had a fever and haven't traveled from a specified country or had a known contact... 

I'm thinking man flu!

Not all cases experience a fever.

I read some useful case histories and expert comment in the Sunday Telegraph today and the virus appears to be a real mixed bag of symptoms (including throwing up, etc) but two appear to be common: a sore throat and a dry cough at the start of it all.  Ordinary colds usually end with a cough, not start, but this does appear to begin with a cough alongside the regulation sore throat.  The breathing problems come later on.

That's if you experience symptoms at all of course.  What worries me, who travels on packed trains and works in a packed office which is still employing hot desking, is that I will contract it but not show symptoms, visit my elderly parent and they will end up being very ill.  

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I actually meet many of the symptoms... dry slightly sore throat, mild headache, slightly labour breathing...

Though I haven't had a fever and haven't traveled from a specified country or had a known contact... 

I'm thinking man flu!

Self isolate for about a month I reckon

The coverage of this whole thing is really quite rubbish. Take this:

Go on then. What did Italy do wrong? What have we learned from it? And, while you’re at it, why not name the “senior government source”?

It’s a mixture of lazy journalism and paranoia that the “senior government source” will stop talking to them if they ask awkward questions. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Main headlines on my news feed - 'SUPERMARKETS RATIONING GOODS DUE TO CORONAVIRUS'.

When you read the story, Sainsburys are only letting customers buy three hand sanitisers at a time, and Tesco are limiting customers to two packets of pasta per shop. Still nothing like a bit of clickbait to help spread panic ...

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Thought I might have couple of weeks staying at Garda later in the summer, love the place for relaxing, luckily I haven't booked anything so very much wait an see, could work out to my advantage price wise If I am still around.

26 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

Main headlines on my news feed - 'SUPERMARKETS RATIONING GOODS DUE TO CORONAVIRUS'.

When you read the story, Sainsburys are only letting customers buy three hand sanitisers at a time, and Tesco are limiting customers to two packets of pasta per shop. Still nothing like a bit of clickbait to help spread panic ...

Tesco are rationing anti bac gel, anti bac wipes, anti bac spray, bleach, hand wash, dried pasta, long life milk, tinned veg, kids medicine and water. 5 per customer.

3 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

I took this photo at my local supermarket in Canberra.. old people were in there this morning buying small tissue packets because the toilet paper was all gone.

Two people were also just loading up with enough tinned corn and other tinned products to feed an army..

091DC072-9449-4340-9665-9855B3F5A433.jpeg

There was bog roll in Sainsbury’s yesterday but definitely lots of empty shelves.  Noticed that tinned foods were a bit short too.  Nothing seemed to of run out but definitely less stock on the shelves.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 hours ago, Copa said:

DABCCE5A-2689-46BB-8845-66CFA241661A.jpeg

I simply don’t get this. What does she intend to do with it all that she has to buy it NOW? Some very strange folk out there.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

The football ' no shaking hands ' made me laugh , so every time somebody gets a throw in , are they changing the ball ??

I can beat that

Played Onion on Saturday, hand sanitizer on the bar in clubhouse and all round the toilets but we all shared the same 8 water bottles on the pitch

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

The football ' no shaking hands ' made me laugh , so every time somebody gets a throw in , are they changing the ball ??

And every time they score they give themselves a quiet thumbs up rather than piling on top hugging each other .

The Qatar MotoGP was cancelled yesterday, as meny teams are based in Italy. However the Moto2 & Moto3 races went ahread, because those teams had already gone to Qatar early (pre-season testing, perhaps).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 minutes ago, ckn said:

I simply don’t get this. What does she intend to do with it all that she has to buy it NOW? Some very strange folk out there.

They’re nuts!

In some places people are lining up for 2 hours to buy toilet paper. There’s footage online of people having actual fights over toilet paper, people racing each other to the toilet paper aisle when the store opens and in one incident a guy even had to be tasered by the police.

38 minutes ago, ckn said:

To be fair, there are a lot of photos shopping in bulk, and I think people should mind their own business a bit more and stop judging so much. There was a photo doing the rounds of somebody buying 50 bottles of Carex or similar, and them getting a load of abuse.

My natural instinct was to consider the fact that they were buying in bulk for the nursery, or old folks home that they work at as they are having trouble with suppliers.

I also think that the panic buying is happening by accident at times. Last week we needed loo roll, but there were no standard 4 packs, so I got a 9 pack. Then this 9 pack was on offer to encourage you to get 18 for £6 - so I suddenly left Tesco with 18 toilet rolls, when I normally buy 4!

Clearly there are some lunatics out there, but we are all in different circumstances and have to do what we have to do.

For people unable to picture the difference between just letting it happen and delaying it but with the same number of people catching it, here's a pretty picture:

If we delay it well enough, our healthcare system SHOULD be able to cope. If we don't delay it, excessive numbers of people will die who could have been saved. This is why it's critically important that people take it seriously, and employers aren't grade A throbbers who won't pay sick pay.

Just now, Dave T said:

To be fair, there are a lot of photos shopping in bulk, and I think people should mind their own business a bit more and stop judging so much. There was a photo doing the rounds of somebody buying 50 bottles of Carex or similar, and them getting a load of abuse.

My natural instinct was to consider the fact that they were buying in bulk for the nursery, or old folks home that they work at as they are having trouble with suppliers.

I also think that the panic buying is happening by accident at times. Last week we needed loo roll, but there were no standard 4 packs, so I got a 9 pack. Then this 9 pack was on offer to encourage you to get 18 for £6 - so I suddenly left Tesco with 18 toilet rolls, when I normally buy 4!

Clearly there are some lunatics out there, but we are all in different circumstances and have to do what we have to do.

But your scenario is fair enough. A multi-buy is fine. It's when you over-buy to the point that you don't need it and others get nothing that it becomes unacceptable.

One ward at our local hospital had EVERY alcohol gel thing at the foot of beds stolen at the weekend. Someone obviously took advantage of a busy time and did a walk around pinching them. Sheer and wilful selfishness regardless of their personal circumstances.

Just now, ckn said:

But your scenario is fair enough. A multi-buy is fine. It's when you over-buy to the point that you don't need it and others get nothing that it becomes unacceptable.

One ward at our local hospital had EVERY alcohol gel thing at the foot of beds stolen at the weekend. Someone obviously took advantage of a busy time and did a walk around pinching them. Sheer and wilful selfishness regardless of their personal circumstances.

Yeah my point on the 18 rolls versus 4 is that we end up with a situation where the supermarket shelves are suddenly empty because of these multi-buy offers and lack of small packs of products. And as people see the shelves empty, they start to panic that they will end up using their curtains to wipe their ass. 

The supermarkets need to up their game on this kind of stuff tbh.

Can someone please explain to me why people are stockpiling toilet paper, I really do not understand it. From what I've seen none of the symptoms of coronavirus are diarrhea and if it's cos they're gonna be self isolating how long are they expecting to be stuck in their house? That pic above, they look like the 24pcks and she must have up to 10, how much pooing does this person/family do? Christ, that would last me a year! 

And in terms of the tinned food, stocking up on that stuff is what you do in a nuclear apocalypse/zombie movie! Do they think coronavirus victims are rising from the dead?? Next people are gonna be barricading their houses and nailing boards over the windows and a bloke is gonna be painting crosses on doors and shouting, "bring out your dead!" 

Everyone just calm the feck down!

Edit. Just waiting for the first Monty Python joke now. 

5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Can someone please explain to me why people are stockpiling toilet paper, I really do not understand it. From what I've seen none of the symptoms of coronavirus are diarrhea and if it's cos they're gonna be self isolating how long are they expecting to be stuck in their house? That pic above, they look like the 24pcks and she must have up to 10, how much pooing does this person/family do? Christ, that would last me a year! 

And in terms of the tinned food, stocking up on that stuff is what you do in a nuclear apocalypse/zombie movie! Do they think coronavirus victims are rising from the dead?? Next people are gonna be barricading their houses and nailing boards over the windows and a bloke is gonna be painting crosses on doors and shouting, "bring out your dead!" 

Everyone just calm the feck down!

Edit. Just waiting for the first Monty Python joke now. 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-why-are-people-panic-buying-and-why-toilet-paper-11952397

Archived