coronavirus

18 minutes ago, ckn said:

Not here please.  Political complications on the politics thread please.

i was being careful to say mine was an economic argument as to why it is better for the country that nobody risks infecting others when they think they might have it so they ought to be paid to self isolate

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

i was being careful to say mine was an economic argument as to why it is better for the country that nobody risks infecting others when they think they might have it so they ought to be paid to self isolate

If you stuck it on the politics thread then you may get some strong opinions either way on it!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Age stats for the town I live in, 2001 census figs so only 19 year out of date!

Age 60 to 74:        32.6% compared with national figure of 13.3%

Age 75 and over:  13.6 % compared with national figure of 7.6%

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Age stats for the town I live in, 2001 census figs so only 19 year out of date!

Age 60 to 74:        32.6% compared with national figure of 13.3%

Age 75 and over:  13.6 % compared with national figure of 7.6%

For the most up-to-date information on your area, go here, it's the Public Health England local profiles page. You can drill right down to your GP practice if you need on most data areas. Simply enter your local authority on the front page, then click on "view data", then Population to get your area's age stats.

You could spend hours on that site and still not run out of things to do. It's real power is in comparison with area, region and national stats. We mainly use it to highlight outlier population areas for targeting specific things.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Has anyone tried eggs chopped up in a cup? It's a cure all ya know.

That takes me back. No matter what the ailment, my gran and my mam would always fall back on eggs chopped in a cup, a knob of butter in it and a slice of bread and butterwith it.  Haven't had it in years, but I might now.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

18 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Pretty much 25% of UK cases are in London, 91 out of 373.

My very subjective and probably not scientific view is that that's for two reasons:

1. People far more likely to be in contact with international travelers; and

2. People far more tolerant of others in their personal space. It took me years to get over people being huggy and them being so close they're effectively touching me. And then you get the public transport there where it's sardine conditions and they think that's fine. I still don't like it.

What does self isolate actually mean ? Lock yourself away for a fortnight with zero human contact ? How can anyone live like that ... how do you get your shopping and stuff to live , and how do you answer the door to get stuff if you order it . Is your family banned from visiting . What if you’ve ongoing hospital treatments .. and district nurses for instance won’t come to your house . They say this term endlessly without really mentioning its practicalities 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

What does self isolate actually mean ? Lock yourself away for a fortnight with zero human contact ? How can anyone live like that ... how do you get your shopping and stuff to live , and how do you answer the door to get stuff if you order it . Is your family banned from visiting . What if you’ve ongoing hospital treatments .. and district nurses for instance won’t come to your house . They say this term endlessly without really mentioning its practicalities 

I have been practicing self isolating with a box of tissues and wet wipes for years

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I have been practicing self isolating with a box of tissues and wet wipes for years

It was well worth it then ! The world can collapse outside but you’ll be content 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Good call.

Can anyone (other than Grizzly Adams) really self isolate for more than a couple of days without any contact?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

2 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Good call.

Can anyone (other than Grizzly Adams) really self isolate for more than a couple of days without any contact?

They throw it out like  yeh just go and do that , end of . I’m reminded of boarding houses up during the plague

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It was well worth it then ! The world can collapse outside but you’ll be content 

With no one left to annoy or complain about, his whole world would collapse. Plus, his wet whipes would soon run out.

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

They throw it out like  yeh just go and do that , end of . I’m reminded of boarding houses up during the plague

Yeah, those types who pretend to be indepented.

49 minutes ago, DavidM said:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice/

• stay at home

• separate yourself from other people – for example, try not to be in the same room as other people at the same time

• only allow people who live with you to stay

• stay in a well-ventilated room with a window that can be opened

• ask friends, family members or delivery services to carry out errands for you, such as getting groceries, medicines or other shopping

• make sure you tell delivery drivers to leave items outside for collection if you order online

• clean toilets and bathrooms regularly

• think about a bathroom rota if a separate bathroom is not available, with the isolated person using the facilities last, before thoroughly cleaning the bathroom themselves

• use separate towels from anyone else in the household

• wash crockery and utensils thoroughly with soap and water; dishwashers may be used to clean crockery and cutlery

• stay away from your pets – if unavoidable, wash your hands before and after contact

1 minute ago, Dave T said:
  • stay at home

• separate yourself from other people – for example, try not to be in the same room as other people at the same time

I fall down there seeing I’m at the hospital every other day for ongoing essential treatment . I still think for many that’s utterly impractical , especially ironically enough the most vulnerable 

Archived