coronavirus

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

We are not going to France etc as planned. Instead we were going to go to Scotland in our caravan.... until my wife pointed out that our 'van is a Compass Corona model! ?

Advice just in from a mate: add the words "Virus Edition". That way, we'll have the site to ourselves! 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Indonesia during a dengue fever pandemic when 73,000 people were affected.

I was actually living in one of the hotspots and both my partner and I came down seriously ill with it.  

My neighbour died from it and they suspect it was because of water I left in my house when I went to hospital. I was delirious with fever and didn’t think to clear the water out.

Around 1500 died.

I don’t know how bad Coronavirus will end up but from my dengue experience a lot of it comes down to taking all the relevant preventive steps recommended by the health authorities. If you don’t, people may die.

28 minutes ago, Copa said:

So my partner and kids fly to the uk from Australia in less than a month. British Airways have said if she wants to cancel they’ll only refund the taxes...

Does the fact (I think) its now a notifiable disease not help get a refund or help with travel insurance claims?

3 minutes ago, shrek said:

Does the fact (I think) its now a notifiable disease not help get a refund or help with travel insurance claims?

WHO declared it a pandemic a few hours  after we asked BA. 

Will have to get back to them and the insurance company.

5 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I was at a gig last night. I’ve never had to queue to wash my hands or use the dryer before!!

That is actually quite encouraging!  It suggests many people are taking the advice seriously.

I'm still hoping some people at my workplace will do the same thing ...

41 minutes ago, Copa said:

So my partner and kids fly to the uk from Australia in less than a month. British Airways have said if she wants to cancel they’ll only refund the taxes...

11 minutes ago, shrek said:

I just had the same issue with BA, they point blank refused to refund the deposit we paid for a holiday to Italy, and refused to transfer the money to a different holiday.

Can we cancel it and get deposit back? “No, Terms & conditions”.

But what if we transfer it to another holiday?  “No, Terms & conditions”

Can you escalate that to someone else as we’re offering to buy another holiday elsewhere rather than you lose business? “No, Terms & conditions”.

FFS...

I went into the conversation in a good place though as I’d run it past my insurers, they said if BA don’t refund then they will. I was trying to do a no-lose scenario for everyone, us, BA and our insurers, but BA’s “computer says no” attitude wrecked that.

So, I’d recommend speaking to insurers.

Annoyingly, if you booked TODAY for flights or holidays with BA then they’re offering free cancellation or changes, but won’t retrospectively offer it to existing bookings 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

This made me smile (and I'm wondering in what context we can be 'community minded' with toilet roll!)

I'd probably want to go first...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Denmark is closing. Non essential work is closing from Friday for two weeks. 

Hope not..... ?

Just got a new route home on 21st March.. Oslo- Copenhagen - Amsterdam. 

Not sure yet what happened to my Oslo Amsterdam direct flight but I hope Copenhagen Airport is open. 

We have two rota's of 18 men per shift working an hour south of Oslo. 

Most are Polish with myself ( Holland,) one Swede one Lithuanian and two Norway based Brits currently working. 

Next rota to fly in on the 22nd is a majority Irish /English crew with a couple of Germans. 

Today our boss was very concerned about travel arrangements and the possibility men won't be able to get here or get home!!! 

One construction site in Bergen was put into quarantine today due to some of their Italian workers testing positive for CV and my Polish workmates are saying their country is going into virtual lock down. 

Getting a wee bit concerned as Norway had 212 new cases on Wednesday alone. 

1 minute ago, yanto said:

Hope not..... ?

Just got a new route home on 21st March.. Oslo- Copenhagen - Amsterdam. 

Not sure yet what happened to my Oslo Amsterdam direct flight but I hope Copenhagen Airport is open. 

We have two rota's of 18 men per shift working an hour south of Oslo. 

Most are Polish with myself ( Holland,) one Swede one Lithuanian and two Norway based Brits currently working. 

Next rota to fly in on the 22nd is a majority Irish /English crew with a couple of Germans. 

Today our boss was very concerned about travel arrangements and the possibility men won't be able to get here or get home!!! 

One construction site in Bergen was put into quarantine today due to some of their Italian workers testing positive for CV and my Polish workmates are saying their country is going into virtual lock down. 

Getting a wee bit concerned as Norway had 212 new cases on Wednesday alone.

All public sector workers in non-essential services are being sent home for two weeks. Work from home if they can, drink tea and watch TV if they cannot. Pubs and restaurants encouraged to close, and of course there is panic buying of toilet paper.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

My bets on Raab as he spent the whole budget coughing...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

29 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

My bets on Raab as he spent the whole budget coughing...

And they all had the group hug after the budget

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

image.thumb.png.8c83ee3b6f34d2b062276587531e05f7.png

I suppose it means not stock-piling and/or nicking loo roll and hand sanitizer gels & refills from public places

I went to Asda today for a few things - no dried pasta or tinned fruit to be seen. The beans, soup and rice shelves were virtually empty. I kept away from the toilet roll aisle.

I'd made some flapjack and fancied some custard with it, which I couldn't find. I asked a store assistant who took me to where it was and commented - they haven't got round to stockpiling custard yet!

Archived