coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

You will have trouble. Mrs PBC is a dentist and says you could be very lucky but unless they are not busy (little chance) ring 111. Any decent dentist will say forget it.

A dentist in Bridgend? All she needs now are some patients with full sets of teeth.

?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

35 minutes ago, Copa said:

Oz Grand Prix cancelled.

I think there will be a fair few events (Races, venues, festivals, etc) that might disappear forever, can they survive a cancelation?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

14 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think there will be a fair few events (Races, venues, festivals, etc) that might disappear forever, can they survive a cancelation?

The Victorian state government said the GP could go ahead without fans so it will be interesting to see what they say about the huge crowds expected at the AFL.

The popular Dark Mofo festival in Tasmania has been canceled even though it’s in June. They said if they didn’t cancel now they risk losing so much money the festival would never return.

We’re no longer just an outlier, we’re now a distant outlier. I sincerely hope they’ve got this right or we’re in for a mighty shock. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Heads of government meeting today that will also discuss sporting events.

Tonight’s Raiders game might be played in an empty stadium. We’ll only know not long before kick off.

I may not see a live NRL game this year.

Raiders game is on but it looks like gatherings of greater than 500 people will be banned from next Monday.

That will decimate the NRL season.

It doesn’t appear to be a legislative ban though...

Maybe our experts know more than other countries experts and are not so panicky? Listened to chris whitty he seemed to be rather calm and re assuring. 

My own thinking is the full blown coverage in papers and news 24 channels Is exacerbating the situation. Most of us might get it and most will recover, itll be here months and you cant live for so long in a state sof panic. 

I'm now sick to my back teeth of the mass hysteria being generated by the mainstream media.

SARS 2002

Bird Flu 2005

Swine Flu 2009

MERS 2012

Ebola 2014-16

Zika 2018

When half the population don't die of Coronavirus over the next few weeks, we can have the media and the government giving us all the elephant lunatic response*

* A policeman asks a man why he's dancing round his front lawn waving his arms about.

"I'm keeping the elephants off my geraniums" says the man

"There's no elephants round here" says the copper

"See. It works"

Many people thought like you in France or in Italy "It is a media manipulation, collective hysteria etc" except that this lightness to cause contaminations and deaths. The faster you react and adopt the right behaviors, the more you will preserve your family and especially your elderly.

Be careful the elephants are coming

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

Doubt it mate.  Doubt it very much.

As with all the previous pearl-clutching panics, the body count will pale into insignificance besides deaths from common or garden influenza.

Still extremely miffed that the supermarkets have been cleared of bog rolls by the hysterical.

16 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Doubt it mate.  Doubt it very much.

As with all the previous pearl-clutching panics, the body count will pale into insignificance besides deaths from common or garden influenza.

Still extremely miffed that the supermarkets have been cleared of bog rolls by the hysterical.

It is highly contagious with a death rate higher than the rate for flu. If you don’t suppress the contagion it will hit a peak that your health service will not be able to manage and many will die. If you suppress it and drag it out over a much longer period just as many people may be affected but the health system will manage.

Follow all the advice about avoiding and reducing the spread of the virus.

Just now, Copa said:

It is highly contagious with a death rate higher than the rate for flu. If you don’t suppress the contagion it will hit a peak that your health service will not be able to manage and many will die. If you suppress it and drag it out over a much longer period just as many people may be affected but the health system will manage.

Follow all the advice about avoiding and reducing the spread of the virus.

The UK's policy may be an outlier compared to other countries, but that is because they are trying to prolong the start of the spike and also to flatten the spike.

Its well known the lack of hospital beds in the UK and that might be the logic behind it - but thats for another thread.

30 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

The UK's policy may be an outlier compared to other countries, but that is because they are trying to prolong the start of the spike and also to flatten the spike.

Its well known the lack of hospital beds in the UK and that might be the logic behind it - but thats for another thread.

Other countries also tried to do that.

Jeremy Hunt seems to disagree with the Government's approach:

Mr Hunt, who quit as foreign secretary in July, told BBC Newsnight that the UK was in a "national emergency" and suggested the government's new approach did not go far enough.

Asked about the decision not to cancel large gatherings yet, he said: "I think it is surprising and concerning that we're not doing any of it at all when we have just four weeks before we get to the stage that Italy is at.

"You would have thought that every single thing we do in that four weeks would be designed to slow the spread of people catching the virus."

Much of Italy - the world's worst-hit country after China - is currently in lockdown as the country's tally of deaths has topped 1,000.

Mr Hunt, chair of the Commons health and social care committee, said he was also "personally surprised that we're still allowing external visits to care homes".

He added that the evidence from countries who appeared to have been successful in turning back the virus showed they "moved very early" on introducing social distancing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51865915

1 hour ago, BryanC said:

I'm now sick to my back teeth of the mass hysteria being generated by the mainstream media.

SARS 2002

Bird Flu 2005

Swine Flu 2009

MERS 2012

Ebola 2014-16

Zika 2018

When half the population don't die of Coronavirus over the next few weeks, we can have the media and the government giving us all the elephant lunatic response*

* A policeman asks a man why he's dancing round his front lawn waving his arms about.

"I'm keeping the elephants off my geraniums" says the man

"There's no elephants round here" says the copper

"See. It works"

Here's a scenario for you:

Option 1: I punt you once in the nuts; or

Option 2: You run a risk of either getting no impact or me chopping your nuts off, and then a good chance of anyone over 60 you know getting their nuts chopped off as well.

I'll take the punt to the nuts, be severely unhappy about it but then grateful I get a chance to avoid my nuts being chopped off.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

15 minutes ago, ckn said:

Here's a scenario for you:

Option 1: I punt you once in the nuts; or

Option 2: You run a risk of either getting no impact or me chopping your nuts off, and then a good chance of anyone over 60 you know getting their nuts chopped off as well.

I'll take the punt to the nuts, be severely unhappy about it but then grateful I get a chance to avoid my nuts being chopped off.

Can I suggest that Bryan gets a punt in the nuts and then chop them off for good measure?

I’ve started self isolating after a dry cough got worse yesterday and headaches started.

Being asked to work from home unless symptoms develop or get worse in which case I should cease work and get medical help.

My hope is to build immunity, recover and then be in a position where I can aid others I know who fall into the vulnerable groups following medical advice.

That is my plan.

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve started self isolating after a dry cough got worse yesterday and headaches started.

Being asked to work from home unless symptoms develop or get worse in which case I should cease work and get medical help.

My hope is to build immunity, recover and then be in a position where I can aid others I know who fall into the vulnerable groups following medical advice.

That is my plan.

I hope you're OK and get over it quickly!

Be aware though, you're not 100% immune once you get over it, you have a very small chance of catching it again. It's a common cold type virus that you can get again, albeit at a far lower likelihood. Just be mindful of repeat symptoms.

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

That is my plan.

Glad to hear someone's got a plan.

And it isn't Baldrick! ?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Can i just check - the bit I am struggling with is that if you feel you have symptoms, you just stay at home for 7 days. Not sure when to contact 111, or whether you do that straight away if you are higher risk?

It all just feels a bit wishy-washy.

Archived