coronavirus

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Can i just check - the bit I am struggling with is that if you feel you have symptoms, you just stay at home for 7 days. Not sure when to contact 111, or whether you do that straight away if you are higher risk?

It all just feels a bit wishy-washy.

If your employer is happy with you self-certifying you have it then do nothing but contact your employer.

If your employer needs evidence then you can call 111 and use that as proof you've been told to isolate, although you're likely to be on hold for ages getting through.

If your symptoms get to the point you're not going well with it then contact 111. It has to be your decision regardless of what people say, the patient isn't wrong on this by feeling they need more help.

I'm pushing for clearer advice for vulnerable people from homeless to care/nursing home people and those with "underlying conditions". If I see it, I'll post it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've lost count of the amount of people I  have come across who have said I am not well but it's just a cold, it's not coronavirus etc. Surely in some people coronavirus can be just like that, however for the poor people they infect who are more severely affected....

8 minutes ago, ckn said:

If your employer is happy with you self-certifying you have it then do nothing but contact your employer.

If your employer needs evidence then you can call 111 and use that as proof you've been told to isolate, although you're likely to be on hold for ages getting through.

If your symptoms get to the point you're not going well with it then contact 111. It has to be your decision regardless of what people say, the patient isn't wrong on this by feeling they need more help.

I'm pushing for clearer advice for vulnerable people from homeless to care/nursing home people and those with "underlying conditions". If I see it, I'll post it.

Thanks, it is the underlying condition piece that I think is lacking. I was led to believe that yesterday's update would give some more steer on that, but I am not seeing it anywhere.

I am comfortable with the approach of stay at home and try and get better, but I'm not sure whether I should be raising the existing conditions, or just cracking on until I feel really poorly.

Just now, Dave T said:

Thanks, it is the underlying condition piece that I think is lacking. I was led to believe that yesterday's update would give some more steer on that, but I am not seeing it anywhere.

I am comfortable with the approach of stay at home and try and get better, but I'm not sure whether I should be raising the existing conditions, or just cracking on until I feel really poorly.

Some very loud and gobby clinicians are raising the same thing today in forums where they'll be heard. I hope those controlling it listen.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Some very loud and gobby clinicians are raising the same thing today in forums where they'll be heard. I hope those controlling it listen.

I do appreciate it is difficult to get the balance right, but when you are announcing that people will die, but crack on going to your events and just stay at home and don't ring the NHS if you are poorly - there does appear to be a slight disconnect.

Are people just being written off?

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do appreciate it is difficult to get the balance right, but when you are announcing that people will die, but crack on going to your events and just stay at home and don't ring the NHS if you are poorly - there does appear to be a slight disconnect.

Are people just being written off?

I hope you'll have my view on this that I'm unhappy with the approach, but people far more experienced and skilled are saying this is the right thing to do.

As I've seen it in action, vulnerable folk are being shifted to hospital at moderate symptoms while those without any big risks are being told to self-isolate.

My morals would never allow people being written off and I've made that abundantly clear internally as well.

1 minute ago, ckn said:

I hope you'll have my view on this that I'm unhappy with the approach, but people far more experienced and skilled are saying this is the right thing to do.

As I've seen it in action, vulnerable folk are being shifted to hospital at moderate symptoms while those without any big risks are being told to self-isolate.

My morals would never allow people being written off and I've made that abundantly clear internally as well.

Indeed, and I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating your input here on this stuff!

@cknas our conduit to the NHS.....

As a fellow hypertension sufferer I have noticed it is being identified as a marker for being at risk from Covid - 19
Do we know whether this applies if said hypertension is under treatment and controlled or if it's an absolute risk?

Asking for a friend 

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Here's a scenario for you:

Option 1: I punt you once in the nuts; or

Option 2: You run a risk of either getting no impact or me chopping your nuts off, and then a good chance of anyone over 60 you know getting their nuts chopped off as well.

I'll take the punt to the nuts, be severely unhappy about it but then grateful I get a chance to avoid my nuts being chopped off.

Sorry ckn, I completely forgot that you are the fount of all knowledge and never wrong. Let's revisit this in a month or so and see how things are looking.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Can I suggest that Bryan gets a punt in the nuts and then chop them off for good measure?

Like to see you try tough guy.

Just now, BryanC said:

Sorry ckn, I completely forgot that you are the fount of all knowledge and never wrong. Let's revisit this in a month or so and see how things are looking.

Like to see you try tough guy.

Can't be bothered with you. Added to my very short list of ignored folk.

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

@cknas our conduit to the NHS.....

As a fellow hypertension sufferer I have noticed it is being identified as a marker for being at risk from Covid - 19
Do we know whether this applies if said hypertension is under treatment and controlled or if it's an absolute risk?

Asking for a friend 

I genuinely have no idea. I'll dig around and see.

Some people really need a lesson in civilisation.

These wards often have severely immunosuppressed or compromised patients who would struggle to survive even minor infections. If you take their hand sanitisers then you are a grade-A ######.

1 hour ago, BryanC said:

There's a surprise.

I'll let you get back to knowing everything.

As contributors across the whole forum will know, CKN and I disagree, sometimes quite vigorously (!), on many issues. 

However, on health issues as serious as this, and on knowledge of the inside workings of the NHS, I think everyone should pay real and thoughtful attention to his posts.

I any case, I think we all have a personal responsibility to others to do what we are advised by the scientific and medical experts.

Just now, JohnM said:

While you are at it , can you ask about my..

4. dandruff

5. brittle toenails

I'll see if I can get the sole remaining District Nurse to pop round and sort that for you ?

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I've lost count of the amount of people I  have come across who have said I am not well but it's just a cold, it's not coronavirus etc. Surely in some people coronavirus can be just like that, however for the poor people they infect who are more severely affected....

Indeed.

Enough around me have a nasty cough, that I have probably picked up that bug (whether or not it is covid-19). I had been planning on visiting a resident of this parish on Sunday and will not be on this basis. It is not a happy thing at all.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Damien said:

My girlfriend and I met up with 2 couples earlier this week for a catch up as one had just got back from Aus. When we met up one of the returning couple said that they weren't well, and had hidden behind her husband when going through Singapore airport on the way home as she felt like she had a temperature and wanted to dodge the temp sensor that they were using. The pregnant doctor who we were with was not impressed at all! Usually a sensible couple and I'm sure they would be mortified if they passed it on to anyone, especially anyone vulnerable, but possibly just have done for the sake of a pint and catch up.

I didn't go and visit my grandparents a couple of days later as planned.

If you need a GP appointment, even if you don't have COVID-19 symptoms, and the receptionist tells you that you're getting a telephone appointment only. PLEASE don't shout at the receptionist, it's not their fault, it's people like me telling them that they must do this. More than a few practices around our patch are reporting receptionists being threatened and patients getting agressive over not getting face-to-face appointments.

Archived