coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems the UK is now the only major nation that’s rolling back testing, even the very slow US is ramping up heavily. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

theres a 10000x more chance of been killed in a car crash on the way to the doctors to be tested - ban car travel?  GET A GRIP EVERYBODY - ridiculous 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

theres a 10000x more chance of been killed in a car crash on the way to the doctors to be tested - ban car travel?  GET A GRIP EVERYBODY - ridiculous 

Behave. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Behave. 

?????????????? how many people are killed on the roads everyday? do we have mass panic and ban cars? its all relevant , we live in an hysterical society that's driven by insane vanity and paranoia 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

?????????????? how many people are killed on the roads everyday? do we have mass panic and ban cars? its all relevant , we live in an hysterical society that's driven by insane vanity and paranoia 

Can’t be bothered with drivel like that. 2nd person on ignore in a day!

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

Denmark has closed its borders for a month.

It is slightly bonkers.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

One that impacts the folk I work with is a GP in Italy who died despite taking all precautions available. Our practices in England are getting rubbish protective kit in nowhere near the quantities needed. We can’t buy it in as there’s no supplies available so there’s little to be done now. 

Also, Care home staff, mostly on minimum wage, were told today by the government to keep treating residents who are infected. That’s a morale booster then. 

14 minutes ago, ckn said:

Can’t be bothered with drivel like that. 2nd person on ignore in a day!

the whole worlds mad, the human race is insane, such as yourselves would rather live in a world of conflicting ideals and false panic  than face up to real hard facts- its a way of self isolating and withdrawl  in itself I suppose, get over it and get out there , your a decent guy ckn but I doubt you would have ever inspired evil kneivel to jump more than one bus 

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

One that impacts the folk I work with is a GP in Italy who died despite taking all precautions available. Our practices in England are getting rubbish protective kit in nowhere near the quantities needed. We can’t buy it in as there’s no supplies available so there’s little to be done now. 

Also, Care home staff, mostly on minimum wage, were told today by the government to keep treating residents who are infected. That’s a morale booster then. 

The French seemed to be very proactive in this regard to requisitioning things like face masks and production.

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

your gonna worry yourself to death mate before the virus gets you, now lets open a bottle of jim beam , put some tunes on and chill out dude

8 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

your gonna worry yourself to death mate before the virus gets you, now lets open a bottle of jim beam , put some tunes on and chill out dude

What's up can't you get any wool to complete your knitting patterns with?

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

Denmark has closed its borders for a month.

Norway is not far behind. 

Nine regional airports closed today ..is that an attempt to slow down the spread of the virus or cost cutting ??

This is the news we recieved at a meeting at work 

All who have been outside the Nordic countries are to stay in their homes for 14 days after arriving home to Norway, regardless of whether they have symptoms.

Travellers from countries outside the Nordic region who are not residents of Norway will be asked to return.

The alternative for these travellers is quarantine. Travellers with symptoms will be isolated.

This means that everyone presently staying in Norway and who has been in a country outside the Nordic region in the past 14 days is to be quarantined.

This policy has retroactive effect and applies to all arrivals since Thursday 27 February.

Due to the remoteness of where I am at and the fact we live on site (bit like Auf Wiedershen Pet ? ) we can continue working but the foreign workers who arrived last sunday (me and the others) are not allowed out of the gates or to work beside Scandinavian workers, as from today ,despite the fact we have worked side by side for five days now .

Very confusing because if any of us "foreign" workers have CV we would have /could have passed it onto the local guys in the past five days yet the local guys are still free to go in and out of site  !!!

We do not think this is what we should be doing.

By the government information we should be isolated, even from each other ,for 14 days, but hey ho we are only the workers.

We come out of quarantine on the 23rd  (or semi quarantine if you like ).

So this is the situation..

the guys that are due to arrive on the 22nd will be refused entry to Norway ,no ifs or buts ,

so I  now have the choice ..travel home after the 23rd and face the possability of 14 days quarantine in the Netherlands ,and then  I would not be able to return to Norway, so in effect losing my job ,

OR

keep working  as cover for the other shift ,until the restrictions are lifted, which could be two weeks two months or two years !!!

Lots of personal problems if the restrictions and threat of CV go on for any length of time.

Either I stay away from my family until the restrictions are lifted  or go home and give up on ten years of working in Norway .

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

I’ve been in a hospital during a pandemic in the 90s. You should see the people dying from the lack of resources in addition to the pandemic. People are absolutely squashed into the hospitals. There’s no room for ill or injured people that aren’t hit by the pandemic.

It is insane. You need to take harsh measures to ensure the pandemic spreads  in a slow and manageable way.

If you all get to the end of this and think, “see it wasn’t that bad after all “ it’s because you successfully walked blindfolded around the edge of the volcano without falling in.

59 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I realise that you are really just posting this sort of stuff for some sort of braggadocio and that it does not represent your real view.

Fewer than 5 people a day lose their lives on our roads and about 82 are seriously injured. This represents a  relatively unform load on the NHS, and one that can largely be planned for. A goodly proportion of these deaths and injuries are self-inflicted and involve the younger end of the population. 

Coronavirus, it seems,  is relatively mild in the young. However, for people over 70 with underlying health issues , it is clearly proving fatal in a high proportion of cases. These people will have protected themselves from flu but cannot yet do so against this new virus.

You have to bear in mind that many many prople over 70 have such underlying health issues -heart conditions, lung conditions, conditions involving immunosuppressive medication etc.etc. there are people on here more qualified to say what these conditions are.  

So you, as an immature adolescent, may well contract Covid 19 and experience mild symptoms. However, you might then pass it on to an adult who may die from it.

The load on the NHS cannot be predicted and as a new illness on top of other "winter" illnesses, can easily  overload the system. 

So, in summary  don't be a d1ckhead.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

The “great” British public

I see it five days a week at work.  I'm one of the few who overtly washes her hands more often and for 20 seconds, who cleans her keyboard, etc, who coughs/sneezes into my elbow when a tissue isn't to hand (and throws the tissue into the bin, followed by hand cleansing, when one is).  Hardly anyone else does this and there is nothing from my government employer to push for people to do it either.  It's like they're all idiotic zombies.

What worries me is that if we go for all out banning of big gatherings we are going to get the yobbos on the streets causing trouble rather than on the terraces.  That will be delightful.

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

I see it five days a week at work.  I'm one of the few who overtly washes her hands more often and for 20 seconds, who cleans her keyboard, etc, who coughs/sneezes into my elbow when a tissue isn't to hand (and throws the tissue into the bin, followed by hand cleansing, when one is).  Hardly anyone else does this and there is nothing from my government employer to push for people to do it either.  It's like they're all idiotic zombies.

What worries me is that if we go for all out banning of big gatherings we are going to get the yobbos on the streets causing trouble rather than on the terraces.  That will be delightful.

I feel your frustration. I honestly want to go off at some people some days. Not only is there staff at my place not playing ball (although it seems to have got better the past few days) there's customers all over coughing and spluttering not covering their mouths, it is really really starting to grate on me now.

HOW HARD IS IT TO COVER YOUR MOUTH JESUS CHRIST 

For the first time since he said he was resigning (for the first time), I agree with Farage 

2 hours ago, ckn said:

For the first time since he said he was resigning (for the first time), I agree with Farage 

I posted this on the politics thread, it seems a plausible explanation of the tactics and the plan -

You can see the risks.  The Italian route doesn’t seem to be working, we won’t stand for the levels of control seen in other countries, so maybe it’s a calculated best risk plan? 

We might know in a few weeks.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I worked on this sort of thing and have no wise words, but a few thoughts.
- these is not a right approach that is correct for all nations. If everyone was doing it right, they would also do things differently.
- This virus will be around for a while. No matter how strict we get, we will not eliminate it before it has spread.
- Limiting public service has a huge health impact as well as economic. Even limiting social interaction has bad effects on health and socity.
- Protecting the vulnerable would mean a huge early 80's style welfare state. We do not have that.

So, I positively do not know which approaches are right and wrong.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived