coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to go food shopping today. We generally get fresh fruit, veg and meat on a weekly basis, however it's now time for the fortnightly supermarket visit for tinned and dried food, cleaning stuff, etc. Wish me luck! 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

We need to go food shopping today. We generally get fresh fruit, veg and meat on a weekly basis, however it's now time for the fortnightly supermarket visit for tinned and dried food, cleaning stuff, etc. Wish me luck! 

Feel lucky your still able to go shopping.

Break time at work. We cook for ourselves all the time but due to being quarantined no one has much food left. 

Usually we all go to the supermarket on a Saturday evening for our weekly shop. 

Ten minutes ago it was like a scene out of a movie.. 30 odd guys waiting in a line to collect their rations of  bread, milk, eggs, banana, cucumber and tomatoes. 

How can you do 13 hour shifts on that food?? 

How GREAT it would be, to be ABLE to go shopping ?

Can't decide which thread is best for this. 

FB_IMG_1584181972997.jpg

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Occasionally cough, you’ll get plenty of space. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

No problems here. There was a huge rush to the big stores on Wednesday evening, then they are deserted last couple of days. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Don't know if anybody's posted this yet (and couldn't be bothered searching 30+ pages)

1593003133_Glasgowvegans.png.7d74890ad74df7d93d9babea8c428932.png

As a soy milk drinker I’m very happy to see empty and sparse shelves everywhere except for the soy milk section.

The lunatics bought every single bag of pasta at my local supermarket today. I also haven’t seen any toilet paper there for nearly a week now.

6 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I posted this on the politics thread, it seems a plausible explanation of the tactics and the plan -

You can see the risks.  The Italian route doesn’t seem to be working, we won’t stand for the levels of control seen in other countries, so maybe it’s a calculated best risk plan? 

We might know in a few weeks.

I work in education and the closures seem to be dominating the environment at the moment. So many people just presume that closing them is the right thing to do and that the government are just being reckless. Most scientists I've heard seem to accept that it is a genuinely difficult choice.

The obvious point is that if we close too early, then we could end up having to close again and again.

In general, and it is no surprise with social media, there are so many armchair experts out there. My sister on Facebook was going on this morning about how 'the more she thinks about it' the more she thinks we've had this virus in the UK since before Christmas.

I found it very very hard not to reply that the more I think about it, the more I know that she understands nothing about science. I'm still in two minds about posting this:

IMG_20200314_085537.jpg

9 hours ago, ckn said:

For the first time since he said he was resigning (for the first time), I agree with Farage 

He was asked the question what it would take to have herd immunity, as distinct from saying its our plan to let the virus rip through... the quote is the answer.

Context is important as you know better than me... one of my frustrations is that quotes are never put in context or reported what a person may say specifically.... 

3 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I work in education and the closures seem to be dominating the environment at the moment. So many people just presume that closing them is the right thing to do and that the government are just being reckless. Most scientists I've heard seem to accept that it is a genuinely difficult choice.

The obvious point is that if we close too early, then we could end up having to close again and again.

In general, and it is no surprise with social media, there are so many armchair experts out there. My sister on Facebook was going on this morning about how 'the more she thinks about it' the more she thinks we've had this virus in the UK since before Christmas.

I found it very very hard not to reply that the more I think about it, the more I know that she understands nothing about science. I'm still in two minds about posting this:

IMG_20200314_085537.jpg

Yes. The science is the least of it. We can isolate the vulnerable for a short period of time, but that has consequences. For a longer period of time it is more serious. The correct answer is almost always “I don’t know“. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

8 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Yes. The science is the least of it. We can isolate the vulnerable for a short period of time, but that has consequences. For a longer period of time it is more serious. The correct answer is almost always “I don’t know“. 

Unfortunately, that's not a good enough answer in this day and age. 

24 minutes ago, Copa said:

As a soy milk drinker I’m very happy to see empty and sparse shelves everywhere except for the soy milk section.

The lunatics bought every single bag of pasta at my local supermarket today. I also haven’t seen any toilet paper there for nearly a week now.

At ours, the fresh pasta section was stocked to its fullest, no-one was buying that despite the long fridge life of it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Unfortunately, that's not a good enough answer in this day and age. 

It is unfortunately the only one that we have unless you're willing to take guesses as fact. I'd have thought we'd had enough of that sort of stuff.

For example, until late last night, some people who should know better were saying "this can't be transmitted to unborn children". Newly born child yesterday with infection. Same people are now pretending they didn't say it in the first place.

We have to live with a bit of uncertainty otherwise you run into groupthink and some pretty simple mistakes can come in. A persistent "but why?" attitude is probably the best for those dealing with it now when pushed with answers like "that can't happen", or "this is the only way to go".

At the risk of being flippant...

As one of the at risk/vulnerable persons I noticed sitting here I was getting very warm and given my anxiety thinking I must be getting a temperature..... plus reading the various comments getting more and more concerned and hot 

The I noticed the missus had accidentally turned up the central heating very high....

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

It is unfortunately the only one that we have unless you're willing to take guesses as fact. I'd have thought we'd had enough of that sort of stuff.

For example, until late last night, some people who should know better were saying "this can't be transmitted to unborn children". Newly born child yesterday with infection. Same people are now pretending they didn't say it in the first place.

We have to live with a bit of uncertainty otherwise you run into groupthink and some pretty simple mistakes can come in. A persistent "but why?" attitude is probably the best for those dealing with it now when pushed with answers like "that can't happen", or "this is the only way to go".

yes, should always be asking the questions.

Although it can crowd out the communications sometimes... e.g. the really key measures introduced the other day being crowded out by sports shutdown if done at same time.  I'm guessing government and our Medical leaders are trying to communicate and focus on the most important at a moment in time. If announcing sports shutdown at same time then we miss the key messages/measures they want people to do.

So I guess its that responsible journalism being to the fore... a time to allow key measures to be communicated... then a time to question rather than a frenzy at a press conference.

46 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I guess you will have seen this clip but I copy anyway with regard to school closures..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-51869464/coronavirus-government-expert-defends-not-closing-uk-schools

As you say, its coming but they think timing is critical

38 minutes ago, ckn said:

At ours, the fresh pasta section was stocked to its fullest, no-one was buying that despite the long fridge life of it.

Went to the local butcher, no supply issues as expected. Same with other local independent shops. Went to the co-op for a few bits: pretty well stocked, other than toilet rolls (didn't see any) and very few kitchen rolls or tissues. Fortunately we don't need any of those... 

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

Went to the local butcher, no supply issues as expected. Same with other local independent shops. Went to the co-op for a few bits: pretty well stocked, other than toilet rolls (didn't see any) and very few kitchen rolls or tissues. Fortunately we don't need any of those... 

For the sake of Gazza's Airbnb prospects, I would like to assure people that he does supply toilet roll and his personal hygiene is beyond repute.

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

At the risk of being flippant...

As one of the at risk/vulnerable persons I noticed sitting here I was getting very warm and given my anxiety thinking I must be getting a temperature..... plus reading the various comments getting more and more concerned and hot 

The I noticed the missus had accidentally turned up the central heating very high....

You do realise it wouldn't have been an accident don't you? If she is anything like my missus then anything less than the oven temperature required to cook a chicken is too cold.

A little tip, go to your local Asian supermarket and you will find bags of rice big enough to feed your street.  And no panic buying hordes.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, YCKonstantine said:

342 new cases and 10 new deaths in one day.

These numbers are starting to become very worrying.

And again, that’s without any testing outside of admitted to hospital patients. 

Archived