coronavirus

4 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Game over then isn't it.

I think our option left is to trust the stuff coming from the government and hope they know what they're doing.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had an interesting experience in shop in our local town just earlier..

My wife due to type of medication needed to buy some sun blocking cream... so off to local Space-NK shop... We obviously missed any signs and when she (well me as she couldn't reach) pick up sample product so she could read the box..... a shop assistant/lady came flying over and told us off for not taking note of their no-touch shelf product policy.  

Now no problem with what ever policy companies guidelines to their staff are... Never-the -less given in rushing over and the limited space she came right up to us, that is extremely close in telling us of our mistake (it was in a telling off tone).... So couldn't stop myself asking well what about social distance measures seeing as they are being so careful... I'm not a biologist came the retort.

So she gets us the product my missus wanted, held it up so my missus could read the box to check it was of the type she needed... over to till... had to touch the card reading machine to put card in... she then takes my wifes mobile phone to read the store card details, then hands over the product she has been holding all this time....

My missus to make a point... takes out her anti-bacterial spray and proceeds to spray the item she brought, the credit card machine, the mobile phone plus makes sure I use it on my hands.... she then sprays the door handles before opening etc etc..

I was highly amused... but I must admit at scratching me head on their policy, although I assume its aimed at protecting staff rather than customers...

SPAIN PUTS ENTIRE COUNTRY IN LOCKDOWN CONFINING CITIZENS TO THEIR HOMES EXCEPT FOR THESE 8 REASONS
Officers will be given special powers to make 'checks' on people, goods, vehicles, buildings and establishments while the state of alarm is in effect
SPAIN’S government has decreed a ‘state of alarm’ across the entire country in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
As of today, Saturday, freedom of movement will be severely restricted with citizens required to stay at home for the next 15 days.
All of Spain’s regions and autonomous communities will be put under direct government control, including local police forces.
Officers will be given special powers to make ‘checks’ on people, goods, vehicles, buildings and establishments while the state of alarm is in effect.
The Royal Decree issued today says citizens will only be able to use public roads for the following reasons:
Acquisition of food, pharmaceuticals and basic necessities.
Visits to health centres.
Travel to the workplace to perform work or business-related activities.
Return to the place of habitual residence.
Assistance and care for the elderly, minors, dependents, people with disabilities or especially vulnerable people.
Visits to financial entities.
Due to force or need.
Any other activity of an analogous nature duly justified.
The circulation of private vehicles on public roads will only be allowed to carry out the aforementioned activities, or to refuel at petrol stations.
The state of alarm puts all security forces, including the Catalonian Mossos, the Basque Ertzaintza and the local police under the authority of the Interior Ministry.
the army may be drafted in if necessary.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

9 minutes ago, redjonn said:

as the impact increases, such as death one would hope they start to take note and care more....

Graveyard Johnny will be along soon to tell us not to worry about it as he doesn't know anyone who's died.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The data coming out of Japan is interesting.

Whether it’s the testing regime or not,  it doesn’t appear to have the same growth rate as Europe in terms of spread of the virus.

I had assumed that the age demographics of that country meant that they would be hit as hard as any.

Anyone wiser as to what is happening to that island nation?

US travel ban extends to the UK from Tuesday.  

Which airline will go bust first?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Whether it’s the testing regime or not,  it doesn’t appear to have the same growth rate as Europe in terms of spread of the virus.

I had assumed that the age demographics of that country meant that they would be hit as hard as any.

Doesn’t seem to much out of Russia either?

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

Graveyard Johnny will be along soon to tell us not to worry about it as he doesn't know anyone who's died.

Perhaps. But, I am in a country that is in lockdown.

I suspect it is an overreaction. For two weeks, it makes no sense that I can see, as we have to keep it up for a year or not bother.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The main factor is likely to be cultural and social. I suspest they have better hygiene, and will follow instruction rather more.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Perhaps. But, I am in a country that is in lockdown.

I suspect it is an overreaction. For two weeks, it makes no sense that I can see, as we have to keep it up for a year or not bother.

I said this to my wife, who is currently stuck in the USA and shose return flight is 2 weeks away.

Italy and Spain will show the way, as they have the most draconian measures so far.

18 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I said this to my wife, who is currently stuck in the USA and shose return flight is 2 weeks away.

I'm guessing she is talking to the airline?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Just now, Bedford Roughyed said:

I'm guessing she is talking to the airline?

Well, she's been on hold for 90 minutes with Air New Zealand.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

US travel ban extends to the UK from Tuesday.  

Which airline will go bust first?

Of the big premium brands? BA would be my guess. They’ve not exactly been a stellar performer and their parent company are loaded with debt from the takeovers. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I don't know about everyone else's neck of the woods, but round here, the panic-buyers are heading for the big supermarkets. I did the main food and booze shopping at Sainsbury's. Certain sections were empty, and they were exactly the ones you'd expect.

Then I went out later to the Co-op and the corner shop for soap, moisturiser, bogroll, Lemsip and other stuff that had been stripped from the supermarket shelves.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I don't know about everyone else's neck of the woods, but round here, the panic-buyers are heading for the big supermarkets. I did the main food and booze shopping at Sainsbury's. Certain sections were empty, and they were exactly the ones you'd expect.

Then I went out later to the Co-op and the corner shop for soap, moisturiser, bogroll, Lemsip and other stuff that had been stripped from the supermarket shelves.

I've seen a few similar comments.  

4 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

342 new cases and 10 new deaths in one day.

These numbers are starting to become very worrying.

Yesterday when it was reported that at that point there had been 11 deaths (one over the previous night) it was also reported that there were 20 in critical care, so presumably the overnight deaths were half of those in critical care (although obviously that is me presuming, rather than PHE reporting).  

15 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I've seen a few similar comments.  

I popped up the road from my parent's house to the 'top shop' and there was a mountain of toilet rolls and just about everything else you'd need, and the guy running the place said he would happily order anything my parent needed.  Good to know.

17 minutes ago, ckn said:

As an aside, how many of you know about this set of emergency legislation that was passed here?

Some big old chunks of deprivation of liberty in there, and a two year window on them expiring. 

I don't know about anyone else but I don't care.  I can just see when we are in the midst of it some nasty nutters spreading it around for the joy of it or simply not caring about others and so not staying indoors.  Remember the first cohort of quarantinies from Wuhan?  One of them threatened to abscond and so the government had to secure emergency powers.  Imagine that happening in various parts of the country should we get to the Italy stage of the outbreak.  What a nightmare that could be, especially for our elderly and vulnerable folk.

Not helpful, but he isn't alone on the socials pushing full on conspiracy nonsense.

If you need an expert opinion, check out a retired RL player....

5 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I popped up the road from my parent's house to the 'top shop' and there was a mountain of toilet rolls and just about everything else you'd need, and the guy running the place said he would happily order anything my parent needed.  Good to know.

My mum said morrisons had no bog roll yesterday but the petrol station had loads... apparently she ran across the forecourt holding them aloft... 

12 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Have you been watching the latest "Back in Time for" series on the BBC? Corner shops who are prepared to take and put aside orders for customers in the old-fashioned style could be making a comeback!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived