coronavirus

Just now, Johnoco said:

Yeah from my limited understanding, you can have it but not even realise? Other people will obviously react differently but I imagine the average person might cope better with a mild dose, fight it off and recover.

The issue, as I understand it, is that they may not confer immunity? So you may get it again later?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Now off the cruise ship. This time of year, it’s an old crowd. The “announcement” today has spooked a lot of the over 70s. Genuinely shaken. And not just in the “had to have another free rum” sort of way. I think it’s brought home that not only is coronavirus not going away but that they are directly in the firing line. For me, Mrs Ginger has severe breathing issues so we may be younger but no less worried.

Tremendous holiday though. And the last one possible. The flight out to join the boat today was empty of passengers as their holidays have been cancelled.

Glad you got it done Jon 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The issue, as I understand it, is that they may not confer immunity? So you may get it again later?

Perhaps. But, it is new, so it is all speculation. It is probable that getting it will confer immunity, as even with virus that can change its face (flu), exposure builds resistenace until the immune system starts to faiil.

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Also heard that point too. Outside the boffins working on a cure, I aren’t sure anyone really knows what is happening. 

Indeed, though I suspect few people know the full story and not the scientists. Denmark's actions only make sense if ICU's are full and they need to but time to prepare more, but that is not a science call. Equally, the UK are making a courageous call, presumably meaning they are not looking to get more ICU's.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Got to love the lady on the news just now who couldn't find toilet paper in the supermarket but had four bottles of Corona in her trolley.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

24 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Got to love the lady on the news just now who couldn't find toilet paper in the supermarket but had four bottles of Corona in her trolley.

Got her priorities right at least! A friend said to me earlier today that if she has to self isolate she'll need me to go buy her 1,000 cigarettes. No mention of any other products, just fags! 

10 minutes ago, henage said:

Lads just came in from his 12 hour shift at a well known supermarket , been verbally abuses right through the shift . What a shower of xxxx some  people are .

My lad just came back from his shift at the grocery store too...little less stress today...not as busy today.

18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

It’s a pity that there’s no hit singles anymore because me and my cover band are working on a new number. ‘My Corona’. It’s a Barron Knights style spoof of that Knack song and had it been the 70’s I’m certain it would have been on TOTP with Noel Edmonds and the Hairy Cornflake. 
Or at least we’d have been on Pebble Mill at One.

That could be a post straight out of my yoof!  

38 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

It’s a pity that there’s no hit singles anymore because me and my cover band are working on a new number. ‘My Corona’. It’s a Barron Knights style spoof of that Knack song and had it been the 70’s I’m certain it would have been on TOTP with Noel Edmonds and the Hairy Cornflake. 

Sometimes I think me and you must have been separated at birth. My Mrs is a patient woman but she must be getting fed up of me singing 'My Corona' to the the tune of 'My Sharona' by now.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Sometimes I think me and you must have been separated at birth. My Mrs is a patient woman but she must be getting fed up of me singing 'My Corona' to the the tune of 'My Sharona' by now.

I think you may have crooner virus.

B7C5740B-FCC6-4F33-B723-7F01E35100E6.jpeg

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 hours ago, tim2 said:

Hence the harsh decision about immediate lives lost versus financial disaster. Because of SARS, MERS, Bird Flu etc. the Far east seems better prepared. We are like a combo of a headless chicken and a rabbit in the headlights.

We've been here in Singapore for about 5 months now and it's been an eye opener to see the government's response. For example, if you've travelled to certain countries you'll get a Stay At Home Notice for 14 days. They follow this up with phone calls to test your location and random site checks - any foreigners not following the SAHN lose their right to stay in Singapore (last week 2 phd students were given 24 hours to leave the country). Nationals and residents get a wacking great fine. Thats just one of the things they're doing.

There's been a clear, consistent, simple to follow message from government on down. The contrast to Britain seems stark.

There was a little panic buying at the start but, by and large, people are following instructions and just getting on with things. It seems to be working too, touch wood, because the main outbreaks here have come from one big Chinese New Year celebration and then travellers from overseas. They've been on top of this form the moment it emerged in China. Talking to family and friends back in the UK, my wife and I are much more concerned about them and their safety (especially elderly parents) than we are about our own.

*Singapore has just added the UK to the list of places resulting in a 14 day SAHN - one government minister has gone on the record criticising the UK's response.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

5 hours ago, Johnoco said:

When this started a couple of months back I made up a sort of Blue-eyed soul number called "I've got the Wuhan". Been singing it ever since (the Mrs keeps telling me off for singing it in public). Anyway, we've just had friends visiting from the UK who went home last week. On the kid's first day back at school he only starts singing it! I got a bo***cking for that one.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

6 hours ago, Ullman said:

Oh thank God it's not just me. I get it in my head around 10-11am every morning and there it stays all day.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Sitting in a Costa at Gatwick (waiting for a train) and surrounded by folk in masks. Want to guess what my sleep deprived brain has just made me sing out loud?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Copa said:

Australian researchers have treated COVID-19 patients with a Malaria drug and an old AIDS drug with great success.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5

Have to be careful with that. There’s lots of wishful thinking and “give us lots of money for our snake oil” people out there. 

What works in a test tube may be fatal in humans. For example, the anti-Ebola stuff saw some promise but it often causes severe organ damage of its own. 

Unless it comes from a named government source then treat it as suspect. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

Have to be careful with that. There’s lots of wishful thinking and “give us lots of money for our snake oil” people out there. 

What works in a test tube may be fatal in humans. For example, the anti-Ebola stuff saw some promise but it often causes severe organ damage of its own. 

Unless it comes from a named government source then treat it as suspect. 

It says they have already treated some people. It’s just been done in an ad hoc way.

“There have already been patients treated with these in Australia and there’s been successful outcomes but it hasn’t been done in a controlled or a comparative way,” Prof Paterson said. 

Sitting in a Costa at Gatwick (waiting for a train) and surrounded by folk in masks. Want to guess what my sleep deprived brain has just made me sing out loud?

Something off Radio 3? 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

"Always look on the bright side of life?" then encourage people to join in?

Listening to the radio now and the US people are hoarding extra things to us, such as lots of guns and ammo.

Archived