coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ckn said:

"Always look on the bright side of life?" then encourage people to join in?

I was trying to think what Jane McDonald would get a cruise ship singing along to. Not a bad shout.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Quick question re self-quarantine of the over 70s. What happens if you were born at noon 70 years ago, set out on a 3 hour walk aged 69 at10 am on your 70th birthday.? 

I expect the police will be waiting for you to finish your walk at 1pm.

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Quick question re self-quarantine of the over 70s. What happens if you were born at noon 70 years ago, set out on a 3 hour walk aged 69 at10 am on your 70th birthday.? 

The little crystal in the palm of your hand starts to flash.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 hours ago, Copa said:

get that bog roll now... the next few weeks are looking bad.
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2020/03/coronavirus-growth-in-western-countries-march-14-update/

C4B3B810-0E6C-4FC2-B6AC-60FEA96FF263.jpeg

The outbreak is Denmark started with posh people coming back from their ski-ing holidays. For it to be common to go ski-ing the alps is something four of those nations have in common. INdeed, North Germany is relatively free from corona.

It might be the UK is benefiting from watery borders and having few people coming back from ski-ing holidays.

The US is simply particularly vulnerable to spread as a whole.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

24 minutes ago, ckn said:

Listening to the radio now and the US people are hoarding extra things to us, such as lots of guns and ammo.

You need something to protect your stash of "restroom tissue paper roll"

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

35 minutes ago, ckn said:

The little crystal in the palm of your hand starts to flash.

Although, thinking about this, you get to run away with Jenny Agutter (young or old, your preference!)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

54 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I was trying to think what Jane McDonald would get a cruise ship singing along to. Not a bad shout.

We had a Gary Barlow impersonator.

I am living my best life.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Had a text the other day to say my appointment had been cancelled and I'd be getting a phone appointment, which is fine. 

It said it could be at "any time during surgery hours" so thought I'd just ring up and check if it was still going to be the same day.

72nd in line.

I'll wing it.

I thought my local supermarket was bad but a friend just told me her (much larger) local supermarket in Canberra has no meat except for chicken livers, no bread, no pasta, no rice, no tinned food, no tissues, no long life milk, no toilet paper and no onions.

6 hours ago, nadera78 said:

There's been a clear, consistent, simple to follow message from government on down. The contrast to Britain seems stark.

Just on this snippet...

The messages from UK government is clear. consistent and simple to follow.

Now you may disagree with the measures and say they don't go far enough, etc... but the message is clear and simple as what we should do.

Its being crowded out by being told what other countries are doing, and the media debating the measures and what others should be included, etc.. That causes confusion and doubt

But specific measures announced are clear and simple with forthcoming changes forewarned.

The time for me to get concerned is when the government react to political and media pressure rather than the science....

19 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Just on this snippet...

Now you may disagree with the measures and say they don't go far enough, etc... but the message is clear and simple as what we should do.

Its being crowded out by being told what other countries are doing, and the media debating the measures and what others should be included, etc.. That causes confusion and doubt

But specific measures announced are clear and simple with forthcoming changes forewarned.

The time for me to get concerned is when the government react to political and media pressure rather than the science....

I do have to challenge this view somewhat. I don't think it has been clear. If you go and use the NHS sites then yes, it is clear, but the problem with the forthcoming changes being announced then it is confusing for people. 

When you have Matt Hancock giving an update behind a pay wall (that was remedied), and officials getting into details of herd immunisation which people are accepting as policy, despite denials then the fact of the matter is that the messaging has not been clear. 

We can point at other reasons why it hasn't been clear, but they need to be factored in. 

The daily update should be a positive move, and tbh that should be the only comms each day on policy for health to avoid confusion. Since Boris' last update we have had mixed messages from Vallance and Hancock leading to some confusion. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do have to challenge this view somewhat. I don't think it has been clear. If you go and use the NHS sites then yes, it is clear, but the problem with the forthcoming changes being announced then it is confusing for people. 

When you have Matt Hancock giving an update behind a pay wall (that was remedied), and officials getting into details of herd immunisation which people are accepting as policy, despite denials then the fact of the matter is that the messaging has not been clear. 

We can point at other reasons why it hasn't been clear, but they need to be factored in. 

The daily update should be a positive move, and tbh that should be the only comms each day on policy for health to avoid confusion. Since Boris' last update we have had mixed messages from Vallance and Hancock leading to some confusion. 

It'd be fantastic if the media would make a collective statement that they would no longer use anonymous statements from state or government people unless it's a genuine whistleblower issue over population safety.

I think there's more chance that I'll be named as NHS Chief Exec tomorrow though.

31 minutes ago, ckn said:

It'd be fantastic if the media would make a collective statement that they would no longer use anonymous statements from state or government people unless it's a genuine whistleblower issue over population safety.

I think there's more chance that I'll be named as NHS Chief Exec tomorrow though.

Agreed, it would also be good if we got to the point that the official 2pm daily briefing became the thing that people would use as the official update with the rest being accepted as viewpoints and can be treated accordingly. 

People shouldn't need to subscribe to the Telegraph, or read the Sun, or watch Andrew Marr, or follow Nicola Sturgeon on Twitter etc to know the latest position.

A public service announcement: there is no government or NHS approved COVID-19 test that can be acquired in the UK privately. If you see one in a pharmacy then you're looking at modern snake oil. You're effectively paying for a clinically unproven test that will inevitably result in far more false positive/negative results than official tests.

Don't waste your money, don't give profits to snake oil salesfolk.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Agreed, it would also be good if we got to the point that the official 2pm daily briefing became the thing that people would use as the official update with the rest being accepted as viewpoints and can be treated accordingly. 

Yesterday on BBC Breakfast was an independent expert who said that what the government were doing re the virus spreading was correct and could be scientifically proven.

Today on BBC Breakfast was an independent expert who said that what the government were doing re the virus spreading was incorrect and could be scientifically proven.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

2 hours ago, redjonn said:

Just on this snippet...

I don't think it is 'clear, consistent and simple to follow' at all. I mean, they just dropped into the conversation that all over 70s will have to self isolate for 4 months, and did so via a leak to a journalist.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

No they didn't.  Listen again to exactly  what was said.

In any case, there is no proof, no evidence that the leak was from the govt, though clearly that is a possibility.

Then the leak wasn't to a journalist. It was to someone called Robert Peston,  who then proceed to sensationalise it and misrepresent it.

If you're out in public and can't remember to stop touching your face then now is the time to rebel against your parents' advice from long ago and walk around with your hands in your pockets.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I only take notice of the official briefings and have not been confused. Having to react to leaks and media pressure from what other countries are doing doesn't help, no matter how good your communications plans are.

If we had the ability to control the media it would be somewhat easy. Like say China

Agreed that having a fixed daily briefing should help.       Then again if media then immediately spend the following period after the briefing debating and comparing to elsewhere the briefing info will be crowded out.

Question is how do we prevent the crowding out of the official briefing and communications without a war time type censorship.

Then we get the media bring on non spokespersons but say a NHS consultant or GP putting his or her view which then doesn't help the messaging from officials.

Anyway leaking should be sacked... and requests from NHS to ask that staff consider what effects any unofficial comments may have... but then they would be accused of hiding and not being transparent when just trying to control the official information.

Its a mine field... and I have no doubts they as in government officials have expert communications people... but they are not able to stop others ...

Yes, every little helps, hands in pockets included, and possibly the incarceration of Piers Morgan .  I'm hoping that the daily stats are openly and fairly presented so we can see for ourselves how things are going.

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

I only take notice of the official briefings and have not been confused. Having to react to leaks and media pressure from what other countries are doing doesn't help, no matter how good your communications plans are.

If we had the ability to control the media is it would be somewhat easy.

Agreed that having a fixed daily briefing should help.       Then again if media then immediately spend the following period after the briefing debating and comparing to elsewhere time the briefing will be crowded out.

Question is how do we prevent the crowding out of the official briefing and communications without a war time type censorship.

Then we get the media bring on non spokespersons but say a NHS consultant or GP putting hsi or her view which then doesn't help the messaging from officials.

Anyway leaking should be sacked... and requests from NHS to ask that staff consider what efects any unofficial comments may have... but then they would be accused of hiding and not being transparent when just trying to control the official information.

Its a mine field... and I have doubts they as in government officials have expert communications people... but they are not able to stop others ...

When it is our own government officials and experts speaking in our media causing confusion, that is very different to what you describe above. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

When it is our own government officials and experts speaking in our media causing confusion, that is very different to what you describe above. 

maybe I ain't listening to the news as much....

Its important to be precise and specific, no doubt and both the CMO and CSO have been in my view. Maybe too precise and specific for how the media then report.

Another question is whether the officials should be forewarning of what measures are coming down the line... say social distancing measures.   They outlined the potential steps coming down the line as the situation worsens and briefed the media on those step by step  plans.   So should they not forewarn and keep quiet entirely on next steps until next step is implemented... or do as they have outline the potential next steps....

Archived