coronavirus

3 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Popped into sainsbury's at lunch (working from home so needed a walk!).  Carpark was as full as Christmas.  Even more empty shelves.  

as ever I wonder how big their storage cupboards or freezers are...

to me hoarding is self centred... unfortunately we have too many self centred around us.  Yep I understand some stocking in case need to self isolate down the line... but not to the extent some are.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our IT system has pooped the bed.  Too many remote users.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Waitrose was again it's normal tranquil self.

The Toilet roll aisle was empty as was the Paracetemol shelf and the Pasta shelves.

There was plenty of Quinoa and Feta Cheese though and the fresh Sushi stand was giving away samples of spicy Vegetable Crunch rolls.

I did my own little bit to help the shortages by taking 3 copies of the Daily Mail and putting them on the Toilet Paper shelf.

I then went back to work giggling slightly.

If you looked up "easily amused" on Wikipedia I would not be surprised to find a picture of me. I would however be amused, thus proving it once again.

3 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Waitrose was again it's normal tranquil self.

The Toilet roll aisle was empty as was the Paracetemol shelf and the Pasta shelves.

There was plenty of Quinoa and Feta Cheese though and the fresh Sushi stand was giving away samples of spicy Vegetable Crunch rolls.

I did my own little bit to help the shortages by taking 3 copies of the Daily Mail and putting them on the Toilet Paper shelf.

I then went back to work giggling slightly.

If you looked up "easily amused" on Wikipedia I would not be surprised to find a picture of me. I would however be amused, thus proving it once again.

Was it back on page 2 or 3 , you said this thing was nothing to be worried about ?

3 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

Yesterday on BBC Breakfast was an independent expert who said that what the government were doing re the virus spreading was correct and could be scientifically proven.

Today on BBC Breakfast was an independent expert who said that what the government were doing re the virus spreading was incorrect and could be scientifically proven.

The science says that it is transmitted. How to best deal with that science is socialological and political.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Was it back on page 2 or 3 , you said this thing was nothing to be worried about ?

I didn't say it was nothing to be worried about, I may have suggested we were over reacting a bit. Presumably panic buying toilet roll and pasta is normal round your way?

Shamelessly stolen from a mates facebook page but the sweary mary filter does not like "twits with an a in the middle"

The Coronavirus outbreak has just helped illustrate the sheer amount of ##### this country contains. It seems to be broken down as follows:

People that think we should all be on total isolating lockdown = Overreacting #####

People buying 200 bog rolls and 3 litres of hand sanitizer = Brain-dead ,Selfish #####.

People fighting over toilet roll in Asda = ##### that nature is trying to kill off before they breed when it send these viruses.

People that then sell the sanitizer on eBay for £30 a bottle = Greedy #####

People wearing facemasks on the bus = Paranoid #####

People who think Coronavirus is caused by 5G = Tinfoil hat #####

People thinking schools should be closed = Unemployed #####

People that just wash their hands and don't worry too much because it'll all calm down in a few months = Clever #####

The government = Twatty #####

People going to the doctor's with cold symptoms even though they've been told not to = Total ###### #####

I despair at the twattishness of the people I have to share this country with. Chill your beans wash your hands well and stop stockpiling stuff like the world is ending. If the virus is as deadly as you seem to think then no amount of Andrex and dried Penne pasta is going to save you

22 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The science says that it is transmitted. How to best deal with that science is socialological and political.

I believe the difference in the 2 opinions is due to the amount people believe isolation rules will be followed and for how long

If you think all teenagers if sent home form school/college will sit at home and study or listen to music for 12 weeks then shutting schools works. If you think after 2 weeks they will be sneaking out to meet their girlfriend/buy some puff/have an illegal rave then it will not work.

The likihood is somewhere between the 2 but i can see why they assume the worst 

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

No they didn't.  Listen again to exactly  what was said.

In any case, there is no proof, no evidence that the leak was from the govt, though clearly that is a possibility.

Then the leak wasn't to a journalist. It was to someone called Robert Peston,  who then proceed to sensationalise it and misrepresent it.

Aha! An explanation. If the leak comes from the govt, its an off the record briefing!

I think the stockpiling behaviour is being overstated. At the moment, everyone is complaining about it - so who is actually doing it then? IMHO I expect most of us are contributing to the empty shelves. If you have upped your buying at all, you are playing your part. 

I know I have. I spent around a hundred quid on our main shop last week, that would normally be around £60-70. I will need to go out tonight again and get more stuff. I expect my average weekly spend will increase by up to 50% at the moment. 

I mentioned to my mum on the phone the other day that I can't get Paracetamol anywhere near me, I have now had 4 packs delivered and many more bought down in Warrington ready to be posted to me in case of emergency!!!

Stockpiling isn't something that everyone else is doing, many of us are upping our purchases, it is all having a knock on effect on the stock levels. And we all sit tutting and moaning about others!

I think the supermarkets might get a bit of a rush...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

A gentleman's agreement of a lockdown for today.

Can see that becoming a bit enforced pretty quickly.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

I disagree mate, there’s a difference between getting a few more tins of beans or something and rushing round filling your trolley as if it’s Supermarket Sweep. 

I agree with that. Adding an extra box of cornflakes and an extra pack of pasta would not strain the supply chain for this long. One or two days I could understand but it's still ongoing.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the stockpiling behaviour is being overstated. At the moment, everyone is complaining about it - so who is actually doing it then? IMHO I expect most of us are contributing to the empty shelves. If you have upped your buying at all, you are playing your part. 

I know I have. I spent around a hundred quid on our main shop last week, that would normally be around £60-70. I will need to go out tonight again and get more stuff. I expect my average weekly spend will increase by up to 50% at the moment. 

I mentioned to my mum on the phone the other day that I can't get Paracetamol anywhere near me, I have now had 4 packs delivered and many more bought down in Warrington ready to be posted to me in case of emergency!!!

Stockpiling isn't something that everyone else is doing, many of us are upping our purchases, it is all having a knock on effect on the stock levels. And we all sit tutting and moaning about others!

It is a good chance to see who believes what they read in the press rather than their own eyes. We can see people are not panicking. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

6 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I disagree mate, there’s a difference between getting a few more tins of beans or something and rushing round filling your trolley as if it’s Supermarket Sweep. 

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

I agree with that. Adding an extra box of cornflakes and an extra pack of pasta would not strain the supply chain for this long. One or two days I could understand but it's still ongoing.

I am not in a panic, but I notice I shop as though I am hungry. Most people doing that would empty the shelves very quickly. 

Just been discussing working at home with the wife. I don't know how my employer will be, but hers (another NHS organisation) can't actually cope with the volume of IT traffic if all those who have facilities to work at home do so. I wonder how they'll choose to prioritise. My wife doesn't drive, so has to commute on public transport, so I'd suggest should fall into a priority group, but I suspect it won't work like that. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 minute ago, gazza77 said:

Just been discussing working at home with the wife. I don't know how my employer will be, but hers (another NHS organisation) can't actually cope with the volume of IT traffic if all those who have facilities to work at home do so. I wonder how they'll choose to prioritise. My wife doesn't drive, so has to commute on public transport, so I'd suggest should fall into a priority group, but I suspect it won't work like that. 

I'll reply to this on the politics thread...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Having wondered into Tesco earlier, I left with pretty much everything I intended to - 1 bottle of whisky, two packs of dish clothes, a 4 pack of soap, three tins of chill, two backs of tortillas and some grated cheese.  (yes its a very lazy tea!!!).  But we tend to buy for no more than a couple of days at a time and haven't changed that habit yet.

But couldn't help but observe, there was no loo roll, no tissues, no nappies, no kitchen roll and forget it down the tinned food aisle unless you wanted chilli or tinned curry.  What surprised me most though was my usual pondering of what whisky we'll tackle next was limited to either Balvennie, Talisker or blummin Bells, who the chuff is stock piling scottish whisky?

31 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I am not in a panic, but I notice I shop as though I am hungry. Most people doing that would empty the shelves very quickly. 

Yes, this is my point. If everybody is shopping like I am now, around 50% more than normal, that will have a massive impact on the shelves. And that isn't me going silly, but instead of letting the cupboards get bare, we will buy extras of what we already have, just in case they are hard to get hold of next week!

It can't all be somebody else's fault.

Given the impact of large numbers of business and thus workers, an awful lot will have even more limited budgets than previously. Plus unless people as well storage capabilities have bottomless pits of money not too sure how long a wave of panic buying can go on.

41 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

38 minutes ago, ckn said:

I do think in the main though that is what is happening. Clearly there are some barmpots out there, but I genuinely believe it is the fringe cases. It is no coincidence that the examples of the news are always at places like Costco where people buy in bulk as standard. Doubling up on those huge loo rolls suddenly fills a trolley and then a front page!

My experience is that people are buying some extras of many things to fill their cupboards - but everyone doing this is having a huge impact. 

33 minutes ago, shrek said:

What surprised me most though was my usual pondering of what whisky we'll tackle next was limited to either Balvennie, Talisker or blummin Bells, who the chuff is stock piling scottish whisky?

I think this is a perfect illustration of what is happening. I'd guess that nobody is stockpiling these things, but more people are buying them as they know that lockdown is coming and they are likely to drink in the house more.

People are buying more food as they are less likely to be eating out in restaurants and pubs. 

Archived