coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Actually, given that the world is spherical, the 840 will be 6 feet nearer to Odsal Stadium. They'll die happy.

Happy that that is the closest they will ever get.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Whether or not the decision not to close schools is the right one to make yet, I suspect they might be forced to make a decision sooner rather than later. The decision to quarantine for 14 days  based on anyone in your house having the virus is going to lead pretty quickly to chaos staffing wise. Also, pupil numbers will continue to drop: we were probably at 90% attendance today. 

It amazes me how many people still misunderstand the situation and are keeping their children off in a panic to stop them getting the virus. 

2 hours ago, Copa said:

My partner has been sent home from work and tested. She works in a health care environment. We now wait a day or two until we get the results.

This is getting very real.

Hoping for the best for you both. Plenty of people get a higher temperature from fighting "normal" colds etc.

To my mind, the only indication that Coronavirus is a genuine problem is that every country is panicking. The actual infection numbers are pretty low to date; 1543 by this morning.

Like everyone else, I'll do what is legally necessary but I suspect that governments are thinking that "If it gets really bad, at least we took precautions. If it proves to have a minor effect, that's because we took so many precautions."

Win win for them. A bit different for the people who lose jobs and businesses.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

9 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

You haven't been ordered to close. If you've got enough available staff then open. Everyone who attends on the night will have done so of their own volition.

Given the closed atmosphere, I think everyone who catches a rush hour bus or train has a bigger (biggest?) risk of exposure.

So since last night we've had to explain to a young group of staff (18-21) that as it stands without any financial help from the government the best option for us is to close the business and make them all unemployed, so when this blows over we have some cash in the bank to get the business restarted.   it's a concept a lot of them are struggling to grasp.

Only a few of them were willing to work because of the virus, they thought we were taking the ###### when we asked "but there is a pandemic why would you risk our lives etc.." and they all thought we could continue to pay wages indefinitely because the business was successful.

Most of our staff are university students that need a second job to make ends meet.

i hope today the government offers some financial help, payment breaks etc. and will also be talking to our landlord to see if they can help  without it the cash in the bank won't last long.

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Hoping for the best for you both. Plenty of people get a higher temperature from fighting "normal" colds etc.

To my mind, the only indication that Coronavirus is a genuine problem is that every country is panicking. The actual infection numbers are pretty low to date; 1543 by this morning.

Like everyone else, I'll do what is legally necessary but I suspect that governments are thinking that "If it gets really bad, at least we took precautions. If it proves to have a minor effect, that's because we took so many precautions."

Win win for them. A bit different for the people who lose jobs and businesses.

The modelling is available now. It's worth looking at, at least for context as to why they are panicking.

Also, as I think is getting clearer, the number of cases (even the number of 'hospitalisations' to an extent) is a bit of a red herring, especially in the UK, where we're aren't routinely testing and where mild-moderate cases are self-isolating and self-medicating at home.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I think everyone who catches a rush hour bus or train has a bigger (biggest?) risk of exposure.

My son catches the train to school some mornings. Today is one of them. Just taken him to the station. Numbers have been steadily going down. Today the only people on the platform were schoolkids and people working for Southeastern.

It is one of the conflicting messages. Places where people work are being told to stay open (even if people are being advised not to go to them) but I saw last night an official government message to avoid public transport in rush hour.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Just noticed on BBC Breakfast , Dan and Louise are sitting further apart ?

It's a good image to make and reinforces national guidance so I'm very happy they're doing it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

10 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Whether or not the decision not to close schools is the right one to make yet, I suspect they might be forced to make a decision sooner rather than later. The decision to quarantine for 14 days  based on anyone in your house having the virus is going to lead pretty quickly to chaos staffing wise. Also, pupil numbers will continue to drop: we were probably at 90% attendance today. 

It amazes me how many people still misunderstand the situation and are keeping their children off in a panic to stop them getting the virus. 

My childrens school have had 13 staff call in saying they are self isolating so they have decided to send yr12 (lower vi) home as least currently important to be in school year and are merging classes to cope in other years. So that's more children packed into each classroom.

1 of those staff is my daughters ALevel Biology teacher, she has 3 children and 3 different other schools (infant, jnr and secondary) and she has announced she is off for 14 days so obviously they feel there is an infection in the family

20 minutes ago, ckn said:

It's a good image to make and reinforces national guidance so I'm very happy they're doing it.

They've also just referenced it explicitly so the slow of understanding can follow what's going on.

17 minutes ago, ckn said:

I'd be happier if they self isolated. Can't stand either of them. Trouble is, it'd be Charlie Stait and Naga Munchetty who'd take over.

11 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

My childrens school have had 13 staff call in saying they are self isolating so they have decided to send yr12 (lower vi) home as least currently important to be in school year and are merging classes to cope in other years. So that's more children packed into each classroom.

1 of those staff is my daughters ALevel Biology teacher, she has 3 children and 3 different other schools (infant, jnr and secondary) and she has announced she is off for 14 days so obviously they feel there is an infection in the family

A standard videoconferencing license allows up to 100 people on one call. Bulk purchase them, have the teachers and students log in from home if they're being sent home. And hope the national infrastructure can keep up.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

A standard videoconferencing license allows up to 100 people on one call. Bulk purchase them, have the teachers and students log in from home if they're being sent home. And hope the national infrastructure can keep up.

This is an advantage (privilege even) of having your kid at a fancy pants fee paying school.

Not only do we already know what their preparedness plan is for *when* they will eventually close the building but they (and we) know that there will be zero issue with the IT - and also, and this is the more brutal bit, that every pupil will have no issue accessing and using the resources online.

Just now, Wolford6 said:

I'll move the settee back then.

This is for your basic gondola style. Longer bargepoles are also available.

This google search took me into some dark places in the canal community. I have thankfully returned and am only slightly fearful for certain members of the population and their 'interests'.

12 minutes ago, ckn said:

Great if the school actually had anyone who understood IT, however due to budget cuts they rely on the ICT teacher and outside 3rd party support when it goes past him.

The Biology teachers email to her uVI class is that she is spending this am exploring whether Google Meet will work for them as they use google classroom usually whilst the non 6th form use something called doddle for all online learning. One of the other teachers has requested that he stay at the school as it has better connectivity/IT than his rented flat that he shares with his wife who works in healthcare and he feels better for both of them to not be close together and better for his class (that he is still trying to get through their ALevel Physics curriculum) as his data plan wouldnt cope with much videoconferencing before it ran out (no ADSL)

Times of national danger call for times of national unity.

There's going to be millions of old codgers over seventy doing self isolation with only their partners and the telly for company. The BBC and ITV should pool resources and make sure that all news programmes carry some old codger eye-candy.

At least one of  Nina Hossein, Holly Hamilton, Carol Kirkwood, David Ginola, Bryan Ferry, Sean Bean and some of the pro dancers from Strictly Come Dancing should feature on every bulletin.

Suggestions of other candidates would be of interest.

5 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Times of national danger call for times of national unity.

There's going to be millions of old codgers over seventy doing self isolation with only their partners and the telly for company. The BBC and ITV should pool resources and make sure that all news programmes carry some old codger eye-candy.

At least one of  Nina Hossein, Holly Hamilton, Carol Kirkwood, David Ginola, Bryan Ferry, Sean Bean and some of the pro dancers from Strictly Come Dancing should feature on every bulletin.

Suggestions of other candidates would be of interest.

Valerie Singleton for the older older codgers

7 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Great if the school actually had anyone who understood IT, however due to budget cuts they rely on the ICT teacher and outside 3rd party support when it goes past him.

The Biology teachers email to her uVI class is that she is spending this am exploring whether Google Meet will work for them as they use google classroom usually whilst the non 6th form use something called doddle for all online learning. One of the other teachers has requested that he stay at the school as it has better connectivity/IT than his rented flat that he shares with his wife who works in healthcare and he feels better for both of them to not be close together and better for his class (that he is still trying to get through their ALevel Physics curriculum) as his data plan wouldnt cope with much videoconferencing before it ran out (no ADSL)

See my earlier post. There will be a huge divide between how independent sector schools and most state schools are able to cope and continue to educate.

Anyway, my sister, Major (Retired) Jon's Sister (Nurse), has now gone into self isolation. High temperature, breathing issues and a cough.

That's a family of three out of circulation for a couple of weeks. I hope they got enough bog roll in time.

Archived