coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

i did try and find an answer to "how far it too close for corunavirus" and i could find news stories saying basically"chinese find it can travel further than expected - it can manage  to travel UP TO 4.5m"

I read that, from memory there was a case of two people on a bus, sitting a few rows back that led to the 4.5m claim in China, but I haven't seen it widely reported.

5 minutes ago, shrek said:

I read that, from memory there was a case of two people on a bus, sitting a few rows back that led to the 4.5m claim in China, but I haven't seen it widely reported.

But it depends if it gets some extra initial propulsion through an unguarded cough or sneeze rather than just passive breathing.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But it depends if it gets some extra initial propulsion through an unguarded cough or sneeze rather than just passive breathing.

Yes and i usually assume the worst scare story you can find online is a 50% exaggeration so i would work on 3M

22 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Susie Dent, Kate Silverton and Zeinab Badawi please

I now have a vision of Wolford doing an impression of Alan Partridge and going

Yes, yes and yes :kolobok_biggrin:

Duly noted and included. Obviously, Gregg Wallace, Diane Abbott and Esther Rantzen have to "Remain" in. I've also took the sensible precaution of adding John Inverdale.

I think you have a mistaken 'impression' about Steve Coogan and me. He might choose to imitate me because, as a Lancastrian his impressions are more than likely based on wanting to be somebody else. Apart from when he was Paul Calf but, even then, he pretended to be Pauline Calf.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The homeless are one of our highest priorities given the state of the system in protecting them in normal times. That means things like this just wind me up endlessly when we're asking these people to put themselves in literal harm's way as volunteers.

FFS...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

30 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Duly noted and included:

I've realised that there is local news to consider as well so I've added these to the overall panel:

North: Christine Talbot, Joe Pike and Jo Blyth

Midlands: Shefali Oza and Mary Rhodes

Wales: Fran Donovan & Ioan Gruffydd

South of Watford:

Gregg Wallace, Diane Abbott and Esther Rantzen

?

Fred Dinenage is still doing local news programmes on Meridian. Tempt Bunty James out of retirement and we could have half of How? going.

25 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Can we have a Floella Benjamin playschool rerun section of the day as well ?

Plus original rentaghost and blakes7 reruns

Reruns of Shoestring (wasn't Radio West receptionist Liz Crowther lovely) and The Chinese Detective would be welcome.

MV5BNDQ5NjM4NzQtNzVlOC00YTk5LWEzM2UtYjk2NDVlYTVjY2JiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODUyNTY3NzE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1333,1000_AL_.jpg

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Fred Dinenage is still doing local news programmes on Meridian. Tempt Bunty James out of retirement and we could have half of How? going.

Has he still got the comb-over? Could be a dealbreaker.

I don't think Floella is eyecandy now she's in the House of Lords and gone all serious .

However, Here's Pauline Calf in case Shadow never caught her act at Sandhurst.

12 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I don't think Floella is eyecandy now she's in the House of Lords and gone all serious .

Hence is specified her earlier playschool phase

Talking about Sandhurst - i was at the local TA barracks last night and there were a large number of completely unmarked white transits, transit connects, vauxhall combis, minibuses and 4 17T trucks. I asked and was told they are the local strategic transport reserve (for getting essential workers to work and supplies to where they are needed) - i joked luckily no big refrigerated units and was told in all seriousness "they are parked elsewhere so it does not spook people"

I was actually glad these things do appear to have been planned

Just realised an issue here

My wife is working from home, originally for 7 days as someone in another company in the same building was self isolating but now they have been told to work at home until further notice - she is using my desktop as she needs teamviewer and a whole load of remote access at a decent speed (she does cctv tech spt)

Great but if i have to work from home - she is using my PC 

We never even thought about both of us ever needing to work from home, with also 2 daughters learning from home, 1 of whom is in final throws of ALevel prep

9 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Hence is specified her earlier playschool phase

Talking about Sandhurst - i was at the local TA barracks last night and there were a large number of completely unmarked white transits, transit connects, vauxhall combis, minibuses and 4 17T trucks. I asked and was told they are the local strategic transport reserve (for getting essential workers to work and supplies to where they are needed) - i joked luckily no big refrigerated units and was told in all seriousness "they are parked elsewhere so it does not spook people"

I was actually glad these things do appear to have been planned

Unfortunately, we've had plenty of experience of that in our humanitarian work around the world.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Just realised an issue here

My wife is working from home, originally for 7 days as someone in another company in the same building was self isolating but now they have been told to work at home until further notice - she is using my desktop as she needs teamviewer and a whole load of remote access at a decent speed (she does cctv tech spt)

Great but if i have to work from home - she is using my PC 

We never even thought about both of us ever needing to work from home, with also 2 daughters learning from home, 1 of whom is in final throws of ALevel prep

That was one of the things I was thinking about earlier when I said there will be a divide between most independent and most state pupils. We can all work from here and access a computer. That's true of pretty much all Tiny Ginger's classmates. I doubt it's true for even 20% of the state school pupils in what is a very deprived town.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That was one of the things I was thinking about earlier when I said there will be a divide between most independent and most state pupils. We can all work from here and access a computer. That's true of pretty much all Tiny Ginger's classmates. I doubt it's true for even 20% of the state school pupils in what is a very deprived town.

we have about 20 computers at home (if you include smart phones and tablets) but my wifes work requires windows 8 with a wired connection minimum

we have everything from a Spectrum+2 via Win 3.11, Me (dont ask), 98se, XP, ubuntu, chromebooks, to 7 & 8 but no Win10 machines

8 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

we have about 20 computers at home (if you include smart phones and tablets) but my wifes work requires windows 8 with a wired connection minimum

we have everything from a Spectrum+2 via Win 3.11, Me (dont ask), 98se, XP, ubuntu, chromebooks, to 7 & 8 but no Win10 machines

Time to get some raspberry pi's ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, SSoutherner said:

have 1 but it is in warwick with eldest and his menagerie of pc's

The younger has, for reasons I'm not sure about, two.

It has occurred to me that we don't need them. If the schools do send home, I'll see what can be done about making them useful for people who may actually benefit from them.

UEFA 2020 moved to 2021 where it will partially overlap with UEFA 2021 (the women's tournament).

All horse racing suspended for six weeks from Wednesday.

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The younger has, for reasons I'm not sure about, two.

It has occurred to me that we don't need them. If the schools do send home, I'll see what can be done about making them useful for people who may actually benefit from them.

mother-in-law has refused all offers of pc's and tablets -0 she was up in arms sending letters to the bbc about the closure of the red button service as she uses it to track the few shares she has but refused to believe (even when shown) that she could do it on a PC/Tablet

She has just done her first online shop by ringing the wife who has translated her requirements into English and created a tesco order - she can cope with that as it is like ringing the local store that she used to do until the 80's

Archived