coronavirus

Also, if you're following that advice. PLEASE DO NOT take more paracetamol than the dose on the packet. Just don't, or you may end up in A&E for vastly different reasons.

That's not clinical advice, that's just me having seen it in personal life of someone with an accidental paracetamol overdose.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ckn said:

It really would be nice if they had some sort of feed like the FCO website that notifies you of any changes... it's bloody annoying for people like me who rely on that for patient advice.

yes, I only just noticed it when I posted that, and the amount of changes to that page since yesterday is crazy. 

I think that should be rammed home to people that the advice is changing and people should read up once a day.

I am finding the 7 day and 14 day quarantine depending on whether you live on your own or not a touch confusing and wasn't aware of it until my employer said it in an email today.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

yes, I only just noticed it when I posted that, and the amount of changes to that page since yesterday is crazy. 

I think that should be rammed home to people that the advice is changing and people should read up once a day.

I am finding the 7 day and 14 day quarantine depending on whether you live on your own or not a touch confusing and wasn't aware of it until my employer said it in an email today.

This is the guideline example for families. Straight 7 days for folk living on their own

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

why are these pm press conferences taking place in front of a room full of journalists and not via video link to the news studios? are journalists immune to it? don't they come in to contact with anyone else at all?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, ckn said:

This is the guideline example for families. Straight 7 days for folk living on their own

Given the huge number of people who don't get paid any sick pay, it's not going to happen. People will still go to work and keep schtum.

Another tightening up here in Denmark. No gatherings of ten or more people. Gyms closed, restaurants to go take out only, bars to close. The only actual difference that will make is the local (the mildly famous Black Swan) will no longer offer take out. 

There are plans for people to get drunk together over Skype, we will leave the singing to the neighbours to the Italians for now.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

6 hours ago, ckn said:

Now we're seeing pharmacies report zero stock on aspirin because of mass-buying vultures. Some abuse given when pharmacy staff ask people to be reasonable and leave some for folk that really need it.

I have few words suitable for civilised company for these people.

Argument in our poundworld today when checkout staff tried to restrict someone with a basketful of them to 3 boxes of rollie filters

Have heard of the stockpilers now fleecing the gluten free aisles of bread and pasta (probably when they can't get want for that last few feet of storage in the garage)

I went to a circuits class last night (was ok - only 8 of us!) and the person taking the class reported the hand sanitiser that was put out for users of the hall only lasted 20 minutes before it was nicked

35 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Have heard of the stockpilers now fleecing the gluten free aisles of bread and pasta (probably when they can't get want for that last few feet of storage in the garage)

I went to a circuits class last night (was ok - only 8 of us!) and the person taking the class reported the hand sanitiser that was put out for users of the hall only lasted 20 minutes before it was nicked

Well, if they're hoarding gluten free bread then by the time they eat it, it will probably break their teeth, and that will serve them right!

Popped in Sainsbury’s tonight (I’m stock piling Easter eggs).

Even less on the shelves, pretty much no fresh fruit, veg or meat.  Barely any ready meals, few tins, short of tea n coffee, no milk or bread, low on cereals.

This was at 9:30 when it’s usually being restocked.  Staff looked a bit shell shocked tbh.

Im surviving the next few days on breaded mushrooms, Easter egg, sunbites crisps and porridge.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

28 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Even less on the shelves, pretty much no fresh fruit, veg or meat.  Barely any ready meals, few tins, short of tea n coffee, no milk or bread, low on cereals.

This was at 9:30 when it’s usually being restocked.  Staff looked a bit shell shocked tbh.

Im surviving the next few days on breaded mushrooms, Easter egg, sunbites crisps and porridge.

I wonder what people are doing with all this bread that’s being panic bought. Unless they’re sticking it in their freezer then I think the pigeons will be getting a lot of extra bread in the next few days.

Same with milk. It’s not as if it’s something that’ll last for months like dried pasta.

There’s beyond sufficient supply, it’s just panic buying that’ll result in wasteage.

39 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sir Patrick Vallance said today to avoid Ibuprofen. 

Did he say why?  I'm on long term pain killers and cannot take ibruprofen. Reason is that it can irritate the lining of your stomach.  

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Did he say why?  I'm on long term pain killers and cannot take ibruprofen. Reason is that it can irritate the lining of your stomach.  

This is the official advice. There is no other official advice.

There is currently no strong evidence that ibuprofen can make coronavirus (COVID-19) worse.

But until we have more information, take paracetamol to treat the symptoms of coronavirus, unless your doctor has told you paracetamol is not suitable for you.

If you are already taking ibuprofen or another non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) on the advice of a doctor, do not stop taking it without checking first.

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Another tightening up here in Denmark. No gatherings of ten or more people. Gyms closed, restaurants to go take out only, bars to close. The only actual difference that will make is the local (the mildly famous Black Swan) will no longer offer take out. 

There are plans for people to get drunk together over Skype, we will leave the singing to the neighbours to the Italians for now.

Thought you were locked down from Mid day saturday Bob* ??

Norway announced a total lock down at 18:00 saturday evening then re tracked sunday morning and denied all airports and sea ports would close and all border crossings would close...

Unsure of the situation and after talking to the boss and main contractor, six of us decided to try to get home sunday. (before the retraction was announced )

One guy got a flight back to Lithuania sunday morning,I managed to get an SAS flight to Amsterdam sunday afternoon and four Polish mates went by road through Denmark and then a ferry to Poland.  YES BOB 8 allowed to enter Denmark despite being told the border was closed ???

Were we allowed to break quarantine were we allowed to travel ??? All confusing.

Started our rota on Monday and for two days we had all been working together and living on camp with no contact with the outside world.This was what they classed as the  14 days Quarantine Norway had put in place for anyone who had travelled outside the Nordic countries before 27th February ???

The main company then told us Wednesday that  anyone that had been outside the Nordic countries could no longer work beside "local" lads...Bit strange because any virus would have been passed on by then. One Norwegian went into self isolation on wednesday and got sacked....100% sure he will win his case when he takes it to a tribunal....but this is what we are up against.A Swedish worker arrived for work with a heavy cough and bad chest so self isolated straight away. Was tested for CV and cleared . 

On sunday SAS had NO cheaper seats left and it cost me 324 euro to fly one way to Amsterdam ..surprise surprise when I got to the airport only 35 passengers, all being charged top wack .

Arrived home and went to the local bar/resteraunt witht the family sunday afternoon. The Dutch government made a big announcement live on TV sunday at 17:30 saying all bars ,cafes,resteraunts etc (including the Dam sex workers ? )had to close at 18:00 ...Nowt like a bit of warning.Also all schools would close for three weeks.

So now im home,the 10 year old daughter is home,Norway will pay me full wage for 20 days then 62% for another five months.!!!! The 12 polish boys who remained on camp are now in proper quarantine and are confined to their rooms and will fly home Tuesday, courtesy of the Polish governennt ,the Nordic boys still working and free to come and go from the camp despite being in close contact with foreign workers for over a week.

Been an experience thats for sure and no one knows whats going to happen next. Rumours of the Shengen area going into lockdown but as yet no word from the Dutch about this and the German border is still open despite Germany closing it other borders.

Strange times on the continent .

Glad to be home to be honest.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

My local Sainsbury's was almost totally out of chicken and turkey, but all other meat was well stocked. Odd. Maybe I just arrived when they'd re-stocked the lamb, pork, beef etc. shelves, but it didn't look that way.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

My local Sainsbury's was almost totally out of chicken and turkey, but all other meat was well stocked. Odd. Maybe I just arrived when they'd re-stocked the lamb, pork, beef etc. shelves, but it didn't look that way.

Not a sausage left.   Literally.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Timely...

TBH I think it might make things worse... if there are no shortages why ration?...panic!!!!

8 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Well, if they're hoarding gluten free bread then by the time they eat it, it will probably break their teeth, and that will serve them right!

That does raise a bit of a serious point though. I wonder how much of this stuff that is being stockpiled will end up eventually just being thrown away and wasted. I really hope that it will be nothing but suspect that it won't be. 

Wife and daughter safely back from the USA before the shootin' and lootin' starts in earnest.

I assume the insane shopping habits will stop soon - we've got two freezers full of stuff. Seems like a good time to thin out the stock a bit.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Archived