coronavirus

I started with a bit of a tickly cough but not what I would call persistent (maybe 2 or 3 every 10 mins or so) yesterday afternoon. No fever and no other symptoms. I'm off work anyway for the next few days anyway and will stay in the house to avoid people today. How important is the word persistent in the cough symptom? I would dread to think that I had passed on anything that I shouldn't but equally don't want to massively overreact. I'm due back in work on Saturday and wondering what I do then.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I started with a bit of a tickly cough but not what I would call persistent (maybe 2 or 3 every 10 mins or so) yesterday afternoon. No fever and no other symptoms. I'm off work anyway for the next few days anyway and will stay in the house to avoid people today. How important is the word persistent in the cough symptom? I would dread to think that I had passed on anything that I shouldn't but equally don't want to massively overreact. I'm due back in work on Saturday and wondering what I do then.

I would think if you are coughing 12 to 18 times an hour that would be persistent wouldn't it? 

Self isolate, the guidelines are 'however mild'. 

1 hour ago, glossop saint said:

That does raise a bit of a serious point though. I wonder how much of this stuff that is being stockpiled will end up eventually just being thrown away and wasted. I really hope that it will be nothing but suspect that it won't be. 

Given what the couple of stockpilers I saw in Asda just now were buying, if they don't have a freezer the size of a barn they will be throwing out a lot of gone off food.

It was busy but most people were clearly, like me, calling in on the way to/from work/school run and just wanting to pick up a loaf of bread. Which they couldn't do. See the stockpilers above.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Given what the couple of stockpilers I saw in Asda just now were buying, if they don't have a freezer the size of a barn they will be throwing out a lot of gone off food.

It was busy but most people were clearly, like me, calling in on the way to/from work/school run and just wanting to pick up a loaf of bread. Which they couldn't do. See the stockpilers above.

I popped into our local Co-op last night to get a loaf of bread and some junk food to graze on. The manager (who I know personally, so I wasn't just being a nosy stranger) had a chat and she said that she regularly sees the same people come in and do their best to strip the shelves of things like bread and milk when it's restocked.

Unless they've a serious pigeon fetish and need stuff to tempt them to their garden, I have no idea what they think they're achieving.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 hours ago, yanto said:

Thought you were locked down from Mid day saturday Bob* ??

Norway announced a total lock down at 18:00 saturday evening then re tracked sunday morning and denied all airports and sea ports would close and all border crossings would close...

Unsure of the situation and after talking to the boss and main contractor, six of us decided to try to get home sunday. (before the retraction was announced )

One guy got a flight back to Lithuania sunday morning,I managed to get an SAS flight to Amsterdam sunday afternoon and four Polish mates went by road through Denmark and then a ferry to Poland.  YES BOB 8 allowed to enter Denmark despite being told the border was closed ???

Were we allowed to break quarantine were we allowed to travel ??? All confusing.

Started our rota on Monday and for two days we had all been working together and living on camp with no contact with the outside world.This was what they classed as the  14 days Quarantine Norway had put in place for anyone who had travelled outside the Nordic countries before 27th February ???

The main company then told us Wednesday that  anyone that had been outside the Nordic countries could no longer work beside "local" lads...Bit strange because any virus would have been passed on by then. One Norwegian went into self isolation on wednesday and got sacked....100% sure he will win his case when he takes it to a tribunal....but this is what we are up against.A Swedish worker arrived for work with a heavy cough and bad chest so self isolated straight away. Was tested for CV and cleared . 

On sunday SAS had NO cheaper seats left and it cost me 324 euro to fly one way to Amsterdam ..surprise surprise when I got to the airport only 35 passengers, all being charged top wack .

Arrived home and went to the local bar/resteraunt witht the family sunday afternoon. The Dutch government made a big announcement live on TV sunday at 17:30 saying all bars ,cafes,resteraunts etc (including the Dam sex workers ? )had to close at 18:00 ...Nowt like a bit of warning.Also all schools would close for three weeks.

So now im home,the 10 year old daughter is home,Norway will pay me full wage for 20 days then 62% for another five months.!!!! The 12 polish boys who remained on camp are now in proper quarantine and are confined to their rooms and will fly home Tuesday, courtesy of the Polish governennt ,the Nordic boys still working and free to come and go from the camp despite being in close contact with foreign workers for over a week.

Been an experience thats for sure and no one knows whats going to happen next. Rumours of the Shengen area going into lockdown but as yet no word from the Dutch about this and the German border is still open despite Germany closing it other borders.

Strange times on the continent .

Glad to be home to be honest.

Getting home would count as an essential trip. Not an ideal time, but glad it is not as bad for you as it could have been. 

There are always bound to be rumours.  I did my 'panic buy' yesterday, getting enough for several days to prevent unnecessary visits to the supermarket and reassure the wife.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

I popped into our local Co-op last night to get a loaf of bread and some junk food to graze on. The manager (who I know personally, so I wasn't just being a nosy stranger) had a chat and she said that she regularly sees the same people come in and do their best to strip the shelves of things like bread and milk when it's restocked.

Unless they've a serious pigeon fetish and need stuff to tempt them to their garden, I have no idea what they think they're achieving.

I overheard a couple of Asda people saying the same thing. They had some bread rolls, which I didn't need so didn't buy (see how this works), on one of their palette things: "I wouldn't bother putting those out. The usual crowd'll be here soon and they'll be gone straight away."

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, glossop saint said:

The nice doctor on Radio 5 just said the definition of a persistent cough is one that lasts more than half a day (and is new).  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

AFL season goes ahead. Reduced to 17 rounds so the schedule can be flexible as required (down from 22 rounds).

Starts tomorrow at the MCG. Behind closed doors presumably.

Round here you'll find someone is doing the shopping for several people living in sheltered accommodation. One person over in Cheshire doing the same thing has been abused by other shoppers for panic buying. So much so this chap is now carrying a letter of authorisation! 

I see the reference above to panic buying of freezers but would ask if its OK to panic buy motorcycles? 

12 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Round here you'll find someone is doing the shopping for several people living in sheltered accommodation. One person over in Cheshire doing the same thing has been abused by other shoppers for panic buying. So much so this chap is now carrying a letter of authorisation! 

I see the reference above to panic buying of freezers but would ask if its OK to panic buy motorcycles? 

I mentioned to mrs Shadow the three month mortgage holiday the chancellor announced.

She said we don't need it, why was I thinking about it. When I suggested three months mortgage payments would get me a very tidy 748 with money left over she rolled her eyes and left for work. 

Normally: Stock a shelf, product lasts 8 - 24 hours until it's down to 15-25% and is restocked again. 

Recently: Stock a shelf, product lasts 0.5-2 hours until it's down to 0% (on an expanding range of products that are panic bought.) 

4 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I mentioned to mrs Shadow the three month mortgage holiday the chancellor announced.

She said we don't need it, why was I thinking about it. When I suggested three months mortgage payments would get me a very tidy 748 with money left over she rolled her eyes and left for work. 

How long do you think you'd survive without being murdered by your wife if you were both isolated at home for a prolonged period?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

42 minutes ago, JohnM said:

If i thought i could get it past the wife i would - but the closest i have got this week is panic buying a new Lplate for the front of the daughters as it had sun bleached to white on white and locally a lad on a ped just got pulled for that and tweated all over by local cops.

What is the best bike to panic buy - an old Z in MFP livery i would guess {edit - just thought i think the old z's carb internals dont like high ethanol biofuels so may need a modern zrx based version}

Image result for goose mfp bike

On 17/03/2020 at 14:43, Copa said:

My partner has been sent home from work and tested. She works in a health care environment. We now wait a day or two until we get the results.

This is getting very real.

Still no test result.

Now a friend’s partner has a mate who has tested positive. So my friend’s partner is now being tested as they just spent a heap of time together.

It’s getting crazy 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I'm maintaining my usually practice of self-isolation by cycling round the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Wolds. Most of the time I'm several thousand metres away from the nearest human being.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

How long do you think you'd survive without being murdered by your wife if you were both isolated at home for a prolonged period?

well I will let you know as we are in the vulnerable health conditions and age group so have started the ole social isolation stuff or in normal language staying at home. 

Having recently had a stroke and one of the results is often difficulty getting the right words out or often mixing up the words... say if I mean to say "its in the fridge".. it may come on "its in the TV"...

or as happened just before whilst discussing the situation... it came out "self opinionated"    as distinct from "self isolation"... well besides rolling f eyes you can guess what me missus said given I'm rather opinionated person anyway...

Good news.. just tried had delivery from the local butchers (nearest town) and just finished packing it all in "the micro-wave"....

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

This is one of the issues John, and it is why I am keen to challenge the idea that the shelves are bare because we are a country of selfish idiots. Naturally there will be cases of people being selfish, but on the news last night it had a feature on people who were preparing care packages, and my main thought was I wonder what kind of looks they are getting when buying all that from the supermarkets!

Even where people are panic-buying, it is because they are scared, not necessarily because they are douche-bags. 

Just now, Dave T said:

This is one of the issues John, and it is why I am keen to challenge the idea that the shelves are bare because we are a country of selfish idiots. Naturally there will be cases of people being selfish, but on the news last night it had a feature on people who were preparing care packages, and my main thought was I wonder what kind of looks they are getting when buying all that from the supermarkets!

Even where people are panic-buying, it is because they are scared, not necessarily because they are douche-bags. 

Yes, yes, yes ... but if being selfless was the motivation of the few stockpilers I saw this morning then I will eat your hat.

Just now, gingerjon said:

Yes, yes, yes ... but if being selfless was the motivation of the few stockpilers I saw this morning then I will eat your hat.

Like I say, I don't doubt there are some selfish people, but I have had to roll my eyes at the most vocal on my Facebook page criticising others and then filling their trolley with loo rolls as they are buying for their families and neighbours! 

My own family did it with paracetamol when I complained I couldn't get any up here. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Our GP lines today have a lot of people who genuinely need paracetamol and aspirin asking for prescriptions to get the few hoarded ones from pharmacies where pharmacists are stocking it away from public sight for them. We don't have the capacity for that but the patients need it, never their fault.

We've also had a run of people calling in demanding prescriptions even if they don't need it with the reason "just in case".

It's hurting us badly as we don't have the capacity to deal with "worried well" people.

I have cut back on social media and news channels the last couple of days.  The constant feed isn't healthy.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived