coronavirus

Just a note on complication and idea of logistic problems I can understand authorities must struggle with... so at the risk of boring you

Well as mentioned previously me missus and I are staying at home...

Now we have plenty of fresh meat for the next week.... we now need fresh veg... the kids in trying to enforce us staying in barracks are in turn doing any shopping for us and any elderly neighbours near them...

One of my daughters has us the bag of fresh Veg we asked for but noted no tins of corn-beef in the supermarket for her elderly neighbours that they requested.... aah we happen to some cornbeef tins (the missus likes simple stuff like cornbeef hash) we can give you a couple of tins for your neighbour we say

Unfortunate as this daughter is busy she is talking about dropping stuff off with my other daughter whom is working from home until sometime in April to deliver and do the swap.

Now me and the missus after just a day already feel couped up... so we say we will drive to my first daughters place of work and do the swap their...

we are now planning a Berlin cold war type swap of bags to ensure the necessary self isolation between us....

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I have cut back on social media and news channels the last couple of days.  The constant feed isn't healthy.  

I've come to this conclusion too. The constant news is certainly adding to the paranoia and panic that we see.

Glasto is off.

The festival scene is going to be very different next year, some might not come back.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Media hysteria constantly counting down how many cases is making some people live in absolute fear. I said previously that its beyond a joke. I know there isnt much other news but this 24hr drivel and talking head after talking head waffling on as if they're all experts is crazy, social media has made it even worse. 

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.

15 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I have cut back on social media and news channels the last couple of days.  The constant feed isn't healthy.  

Yes, we have had to cut back on the news in particular. I have felt pretty bad on two evenings this week, Saturday night and Monday night, last night was far better with some healthier food, more structure and a few episodes of Always Sunny in Philadelphia!

10 minutes ago, johnmatrix said:

Media hysteria constantly counting down how many cases is making some people live in absolute fear. I said previously that its beyond a joke. I know there isnt much other news but this 24hr drivel and talking head after talking head waffling on as if they're all experts is crazy, social media has made it even worse. 

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.

yep, what ever happened to responsible reporting as requested right at the beginning of outbreak... that doesn't mean how the press conference is reported but right across every item and talking head... especially when the correspondent/journalist doesn't know fully or even has an any idea what a situation is to enable tough questions to the talking head.. they just seem to let them spout unlike if they are questioning  a politician..

23 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Glasto is off.

The festival scene is going to be very different next year, some might not come back.  

Motorcycle rallies as well

The National Association for Bikers with a Disability (NABD) have just announced

The National Committee of the NABD were truly broken-hearted to have to make the decision to cancel The 29th You've Been Nabbed Rally, but in the 24-hours since the announcement was published our hearts have been greatly lifted by the amount of lovely people who have decided to donate their ticket money for the event or have asked how they can make donations to help mitigate the £35,000.00 loss to NABD funds that will result from the cancellation of this event.

26 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I'm certainly filtering more and choosing to spend time on things that are positive.

Not quite sure how being on here all the time fits in to that, but we'll let that one slide.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

29 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Couldn’t agree more . And worse case scenarios and extremes are the sensationalism that makes news so that’s what gets in your head . You can only take so much , and the media has a huge responsibility here . People are gonna end up living petrified , at home , and that’s not life at all .

23 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Glasto is off.

Glyndebourne (yes, I know, little bit different) is going to make an announcement on Friday. Grange Park Opera has already cancelled its entire summer season.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

I'm certainly filtering more and choosing to spend time on things that are positive.

Not quite sure how being on here all the time fits in to that, but we'll let that one slide.

This is a little bastion of sanity compared to most of t'interweb.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, DavidM said:

Couldn’t agree more . And worse case scenarios and extremes are the sensationalism what makes news so that’s what gets on your head . You can only take so much , and the media has a huge responsibility here . People are gonna end up living petrified , at home , and that’s not life at all .

For us, our biggest gripe is NHS folk, often junior doctors straight out of training, going on telly and being doom-mongers, or whining about the last 10 years.

It's done, we are where we are, we can't fix the past so suck it up and stop scaring the public with your normally 100% hospital-only wear scrubs and stethoscope that you never use because you've once done a tour of A&E but haven't been there yet on a rotation.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

5 minutes ago, johnmatrix said:

A lad on site was saying this morning how he has secured his house etc,  he genuinely thinks people are gonna start rampaging and robbing houses.  I said to him what they gonna take, your frey bentos pies and corned beef.  

Sadly enough i actually have a stack of Fray Bentos & Princess tinned pies, we bought them for son when he went to Uni, he tried one and decided he didnt like so as they have a shelf life measured in decades not weeks we shoved them in the cupboard for when daughter goes to uni - now her ALevels are in doubt and the idea of a Fray Bentos Chicken Balti pie in reserve is looking less disgusting than a few months ago

1 minute ago, ckn said:

For us, our biggest gripe is NHS folk, often junior doctors straight out of training, going on telly and being doom-mongers, or whining about the last 10 years.

It's done, we are where we are, we can't fix the past so suck it up and stop scaring the public with your normally 100% hospital-only wear scrubs and stethoscope that you never use because you've once done a tour of A&E but haven't been there yet on a rotation.

Indeed . It’s like me going into a consultation - he can tell you 9 good things and one bad thing , and guess what lodges in your head ? Got to be so aware of what your saying rather than heh I’m on telly .

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . It’s like me going into a consultation - he can tell you 9 good things and one bad thing , and guess what lodges in your head ? Got to be so aware of what your saying rather than heh I’m on telly .

THIS 100%

When we were called into consultant when wife was 14 weeks pregnant to be told we had an anti-e issue the only thing i remembered after the event was the phrase "this baby will not go to full term" which i took to mean stillborn but was actually the beginning of "needs to be regularly monitored for foetal iron levels, may need intrauterine transfusion and may be induced early if needs must and will then have sever jaundice" 

That was my now 18 year old 6'2" daughter who was born at 35 weeks health but a bit yellow

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Some of the normal loud ones are being told publicly and privately to shut up as they're doing nothing but fearmongering now. Yes, they've valid points, raise them later though once it's done or if we get a lull enough to have recovery time.

13 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

THIS 100%

When we were called into consultant when wife was 14 weeks pregnant to be told we had an anti-e issue the only thing i remembered after the event was the phrase "this baby will not go to full term" which i took to mean stillborn but was actually the beginning of "needs to be regularly monitored for foetal iron levels, may need intrauterine transfusion and may be induced early if needs must and will then have sever jaundice" 

That was my now 18 year old 6'2" daughter who was born at 35 weeks health but a bit yellow

We're all guilty of that sort of thing.

I remember years ago when I was running marathons in the 3hr 25 - 3hr 35 times my brother (a consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon) laughed at my supposed sport nutritoin Isotonic drink and told me that it was pretty much all smoke, mirrors and snake oil and that Beer was technically Isotonic.

I heard that as "Beer is an Isotonic sports drink" which may explain why my times never improved beyond 3:26

13 minutes ago, johnmatrix said:

A lad on site was saying this morning how he has secured his house etc,  he genuinely thinks people are gonna start rampaging and robbing houses.  I said to him what they gonna take, your frey bentos pies and corned beef.  

Although nothing much is growing on the allotment at the moment most plot holders expect that there'll be a fair amount of unauthorised harvesting going on if (when) the crisis extends well into the summer. As well as a large number of 'old boys' who remember the 80s miners' strike a few go back as far as the strikes in the early 70s when most stuff disappeared whether it was ready or not!

Here's an example of a public slap down of a non-expert NHS doctor by an expert NHS doctor.

I go three teams a week to the clinic for a post surgical wound dressing change , which is pretty essential . This morning the nurse said from next week they’re doing home visits , and I’m on the list to get that due to underlying complaints and I’m eligible for the flu jab . Did I want it done at home ? She advised it so I said yes ... they ring before hand and if I’m showing symptoms it goes to another process involving district nurses etc . She talked about down the line there were plans for various zones , green amber red although I got a bit lost there , but either way they’ll be somewhere to take care of you . Honestly they’re so good , it was so lucid and so reassuring . Clear plans being out in place and those on the frontline are working flat out and doing all they can from what I see .

On 16/03/2020 at 18:32, ckn said:

When I was in Tesco on Friday, they had Laphroaig 10y/o at £27 a bottle, I got two as that's a very good price. I already had a couple in the house of other types. I have more bottles of unopened whisky in my house now than I probably have had for years.

Been to tesco, mine didn't have the 10yr discounted but I did get a bottle of the select for £23 down from £33 and a bottle of Paddy reduced down to £15 so result! ?

My bottle of 12yr Bushmills might stop tempting me now, at least for a day or so anyway. 

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Been to tesco, mine didn't have the 10yr discounted but I did get a bottle of the select for £23 down from £33 and a bottle of Paddy reduced down to £15 so result! ?

My bottle of 12yr Bushmills might stop tempting me now, at least for a day or so anyway. 

i got some 1/4 cask at xmas for £21

BBC launches new coronavirus programmes

image.gif.fb07b9f77f6b240a2f48ecbc4f783bff.gif
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images

Away from Parliament, the BBC has announced new programming in the UK to support the public during the coronavirus outbreak.

The corporation will begin a new live series called Health Check UK Live on BBC One each day to address concerns of those in isolation.

It will also aim to broadcast a virtual church service live on Sunday morning each week.

And the BBC Food website will provide recipes for those with access to only the bare essentials.

If schools are closed by the government, the BBC says it could provide a daily education television programme for different age groups that students can follow.

Archived