coronavirus

When do we get the notification to remove doors and make a den out of them covered in Mattresses to see it all out ?

Does anyone get the feeling that special programming on how to cook a stew or corned beef hash for people who only know how to microwave a ready meal and live in a pokey commuter flat with no real kitchen is a tad redundant and that, health programmes and a virtual bleeding church service are a bit too much "Keep calm and carry on"

When do we start to "Dig for Victory"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Been to tesco, mine didn't have the 10yr discounted but I did get a bottle of the select for £23 down from £33 and a bottle of Paddy reduced down to £15 so result! ?

My bottle of 12yr Bushmills might stop tempting me now, at least for a day or so anyway. 

If anyone is ever searching for the best spirit price this is a good resource - it appears to continually update, I have used it for over 3 years

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DLjP57pa5ntE4DkytpC9rBHFmjCJR7c0OcHAVbjmBl8/edit#gid=0

15 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Been to tesco, mine didn't have the 10yr discounted but I did get a bottle of the select for £23 down from £33 and a bottle of Paddy reduced down to £15 so result! ?

My bottle of 12yr Bushmills might stop tempting me now, at least for a day or so anyway. 

You'll be hallucinating afterwards 

13 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

BBC launches new coronavirus programmes

image.gif.fb07b9f77f6b240a2f48ecbc4f783bff.gif
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images

Away from Parliament, the BBC has announced new programming in the UK to support the public during the coronavirus outbreak.

The corporation will begin a new live series called Health Check UK Live on BBC One each day to address concerns of those in isolation.

It will also aim to broadcast a virtual church service live on Sunday morning each week.

And the BBC Food website will provide recipes for those with access to only the bare essentials.

If schools are closed by the government, the BBC says it could provide a daily education television programme for different age groups that students can follow.

And Repair Shop is on tonight , hurrah !

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Seen as I hallucinate all the time can you imagine just how crazy it is inside my head drunk? 

I find the world makes perfect sense after heavy drinking ?

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I find the world makes perfect sense after heavy drinking ?

Unfortunately I'm tea total.. well the medicines prevents me drinking alcohol...  but have for for me.. cheers

Anyway being at home I'm drinking more and more coffee and tea than normal... as in our house the answer is always..."lets put the kettle on"... as me and missus drive each other up the wall more.. and hence the answer to soothe things over is to put kettle on.... I dread our next water bill as it also impacts how many times needing to flush the loo per day...

Chuckle

52 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I go three teams a week to the clinic for a post surgical wound dressing change , which is pretty essential . This morning the nurse said from next week they’re doing home visits , and I’m on the list to get that due to underlying complaints and I’m eligible for the flu jab . Did I want it done at home ? She advised it so I said yes ... they ring before hand and if I’m showing symptoms it goes to another process involving district nurses etc . She talked about down the line there were plans for various zones , green amber red although I got a bit lost there , but either way they’ll be somewhere to take care of you . Honestly they’re so good , it was so lucid and so reassuring . Clear plans being out in place and those on the frontline are working flat out and doing all they can from what I see .

Mrs Shadow is a Tissue Viability nurse so is having the self same conversation but from the other side. She is waiting to get re-tasked to home visits. 

5 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Unfortunately I'm tea total.. well the medicines prevents me drinking alcohol...  but have for for me.. cheers

Anyway being at home I'm drinking more and more coffee and tea than normal... as in our house the answer is always..."lets put the kettle on"... as me and missus drive each other up the wall more.. and hence the answer to soothe things over is to put kettle on.... I dread our next water bill as it also impacts how many times needing to flush the loo per day...

Chuckle

if its yellow let it mellow

if its brown flush it down

30 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

BBC launches new coronavirus programmes

image.gif.fb07b9f77f6b240a2f48ecbc4f783bff.gif
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images

Away from Parliament, the BBC has announced new programming in the UK to support the public during the coronavirus outbreak.

The corporation will begin a new live series called Health Check UK Live on BBC One each day to address concerns of those in isolation.

It will also aim to broadcast a virtual church service live on Sunday morning each week.

And the BBC Food website will provide recipes for those with access to only the bare essentials.

If schools are closed by the government, the BBC says it could provide a daily education television programme for different age groups that students can follow.

Only available to subscribers, I hope. After all, nobody should be forced to pay the Television Tax.

(Or, more seriously, these are good initiatives from the BBC and show the absolute value of the service they provide for peanuts.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I was talking to my elderly mam just to keep her spirits up ... and being a religious type  she was talking about fire flood and pestilence ( which was spooky as when you think about it she’s right ) and how it could signify the apocalypse . So we both felt a lot better after that - I’m glad I went 

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

Gretna is clearly more at risk than Carlisle.

Presumably England to follow. Bizarre if they didn’t.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Gretna is clearly more at risk than Carlisle.

Presumably England to follow. Bizarre if they didn’t.

Better tell us today so we can get planning what to do with staff with kids!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

Better tell us today so we can get planning what to do with staff with kids!

i suspect this afternoons 2:30 briefing they will announce that schools will shut early for Easter this Friday

More worrying for many though is whether they will announce anything re public exams particularly ALevels, my daughter hasnt finished the syllabus in 2 subjects. If the schools shut the teachers (especially her physics teacher who is very work to rule and wont even run after school revision sessions) will have no obligation to provide work/be available to help even if they are well.

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

This is now getting serious, really serious. The Eurovision Song contest has just been cancelled.

Someone with far more time than me should start our own thread with all the videos that have already been released.

Show the Russians how it works without their block voting!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

This is now getting serious, really serious. The Eurovision Song contest has just been cancelled.

Shame!

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Gretna is clearly more at risk than Carlisle

Throughout,  the expert advicei in England and Scotland  has been that on balance, it has been better to keep the schools open than close them, not least to protect child minders etc. However, the balance is shifting with increasing staff shortages as affected teachers and other staff endorse the official quarantine. 

In any case, as I understand it, schools have the power to close without getting government approval. 

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

In any case, as I understand it, schools have the power to close without getting government approval. 

They do. But if the childminding/parent carers/whatever argument is valid then a patchwork of some closing and some not would be the worse.

An extended Easter break seems to make sense at this point. It also stops children who are increasingly likely to have been exposed to the virus acting as spreaders on public transport.

Archived