coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As i posted yesterday my childrens school is on a rotating partial closure since yesterday due to number of staff self isolating

today yr 8&9, tomorrow 10&12, Fri 8&9

Idea is to keep yr7 (largely too young to be allowed to stay home alone) yr11 (gcse) & yr13 (Alevel) in school along with the offspring of healthcare and educational parents

Any other children kept off by parents as a precaution or self isolating are listed with a "code Y" on the registers which means it does not affect attendance record

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They do. But if the childminding/parent carers/whatever argument is valid then a patchwork of some closing and some not would be the worse.

An extended Easter break seems to make sense at this point. It also stops children who are increasingly likely to have been exposed to the virus acting as spreaders on public transport.

The Scottish leader said she couldn't say whether schools would be back before the summer holidays and that parents should not assume the closure would be for a short few weeks.

2 minutes ago, redjonn said:

The Scottish leader said she couldn't say whether schools would be back before the summer holidays and that parents should not assume the closure would be for a short few weeks.

That makes sense too.

We've certainly had both our sons' schools sending us a lot of stuff in the past few days about how they will carry on teaching for an extended period of closure.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Sky News have a reporter stood in front of a temporary mortuary extension that is being built to deal with bodies. I really don't see the need to be showing that. That is simply scare-mongering.

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Sky News have a reporter stood in front of a temporary mortuary extension that is being built to deal with bodies. I really don't see the need to be showing that. That is simply scare-mongering.

That producer needs a punt to the privates. Or a few. Until they get the message.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

33 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Said Monday evening the local strategic transport reserve at the Barracks has some refrigerated trailer units parked up elsewhere for that reason

5 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Dont understand how in the 2nd scenario person D is allowed out 1 day after person C developing symptoms?

beacuse they have been in contact with Person A since day 1 and if they havent shown symptoms by then they are not going to, either as they had it asymptotically or because they are immune somehow

latest from our school - note the bit i have highlighted - first time i have seen this mentioned anywhere

The school continues to be calm and smooth running. We still have no confirmed cases of the Coronavirus, all staff absence is precautionary due to either showing symptoms themselves, a family member has symptoms or they have pre-existing conditions.

Partial timetable:

The partial school closure timetable continues:

Thursday 19th March – school will be closed to both year 10 and 12.

Friday 20th March – school will be closed to both year 8 and 9.

Remember, if you work in the health, education, child care or emergency services sectors your children will still be able to attend school if their year group is not attending school that day. If this pertains to you please let your child’s Head of Year know in advance so that suitable cover can be arranged.

Student Learning:

1. All students should be accessing learning at home. They should be looking at a minimum of three hours per day, with a minimum of 20 minutes private reading. They should log the reading they are completing each day, just the name of book/article, date and page numbers so the students can keep track of what they have done and as parents you can see what they have completed. The reading can be anything they are interested in or articles related to a topic they are studying.

1. All students should be accessing specific subject learning via Doddle.

Year 10 and 11 – via Doddle, Seneca Learning and Google classrooms.

Sixth Form – via Google Classrooms

1. If your child does not know the access information for these learning platforms please email their Head of Year. All staff email addresses can be found under the ‘contact us’ tab on the school website.

1. If your child has a query about the work being set, please email their teacher directly.

1. If you are not certain who your child’s teacher is, on their timetable each teacher has a code of their initials e.g. mine is AWN. On the ‘contact us’ email list all the emails addresses have the teacher code next to them as well as their name.

1. If the school closes completely you will still be able to access your child’s teachers via email. If you have a problem with your emails you can leave a message on the school reception phone and someone will get back to you. These messages will be checked every day.

1. If your child would normally have contact with a non-teaching member of staff ,for example, someone from the Ivory or Oasis Team they will continue be accessible via email too.

1. If you have any concerns I will be accessible by email too.

Safeguarding: while the school is closed our normal safeguarding protocols continue. If parents have any concerns they can contact the school as normal via the website. With any contact with students, all staff will always copy in another colleague.

Attendance: If you are self-isolating but you are yet to inform us please call the absence line or email and give reason for absence and length of time you will be self-isolating for.

Free School Meals: for students that are not at school due to partial closure we are offering a packed lunched meal that they can collect from School Reception.

What do I need to do now?

Please can you ensure that your child has access to the appropriate learning platforms. If you have any problems with accessing the platforms then please email your child’s Head of Year so that we can resolve these as soon as possible. If you have issues with your internet or if your computer access is going to be difficult, please let us know so we can support you with work via another method.

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I’d stay off social media if you’re anxious. Rumours are going wild, hearing all sorts ranging from the army coming in to total lockdown tomorrow night. 
Best ignore most of them and see what actually develops in the next few days. 

I'm guessing this is related?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

I’d stay off social media if you’re anxious. Rumours are going wild, hearing all sorts ranging from the army coming in to total lockdown tomorrow night. 

One was shared on Facebook of army trucks, unfortunately they were on the wrong side of the road and the photo was taken from the right hand side of the road. Clearly foreign trucks.

Whoever created these deserves many, many punts to the privates, and if you just hit "share" on them without due diligence then you too run the risk of a morally justifiable boot to the privates.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I agree

Maybe we can make this a good news thread as an antidote

1. Housing associations have confirmed they will evict NO renters unable to pay through coronavirus (that covers 6 million people or nearly 10% of the population most of whom are in the demographic least likely to have saving)

2. As I put above schools/local authorities have considered the effect on those usually receiving free school meals

Let us not forget the important things in life.

Namely, beer.

St Peter's Brewery are now offering 20% off (they're usually offering something off) if you use the code STAYSAFE20 when purchasing online.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Let us not forget the important things in life.

Namely, beer.

St Peter's Brewery are now offering 20% off (they're usually offering something off) if you use the code STAYSAFE20 when purchasing online.

Can you still get it in the nice flat bottles that dont roll away ?

A very important group of people at this time are homeless folk. Here's a fantastic resource for anyone supporting them with printable leaflets. Feel free to share. If you do plagiarise then please credit Groundswell.

20 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Can you still get it in the nice flat bottles that dont roll away ?

Yup 

as its heading towards spring/easter then people will be wanting to head off to the many thousands of caravans pitched on sites around the uk or get in their campervans and go to camp sites , congregate in the clubs and take part in general activity that has seen a huge boom in recent years - what advice to them?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

as its heading towards spring/easter then people will be wanting to head off to the many thousands of caravans pitched on sites around the uk or get in their campervans and go to camp sites , congregate in the clubs and take part in general activity that has seen a huge boom in recent years - what advice to them?

well at least the queues behind the mobile caravans won't be as long as normal...

anyway... they should follow the same advice as anyone... assuming they want to keep the NHS afloat in its hour of need

5 hours ago, redjonn said:

well I will let you know as we are in the vulnerable health conditions and age group so have started the ole social isolation stuff or in normal language staying at home. 

Having recently had a stroke and one of the results is often difficulty getting the right words out or often mixing up the words... say if I mean to say "its in the fridge".. it may come on "its in the TV"...

or as happened just before whilst discussing the situation... it came out "self opinionated"    as distinct from "self isolation"... well besides rolling f eyes you can guess what me missus said given I'm rather opinionated person anyway...

Good news.. just tried had delivery from the local butchers (nearest town) and just finished packing it all in "the micro-wave"....

Snap! 

I also have to re read any posts that I type as I tend to miss words out altogether.

Friends and family say they understand as I always talked gibberish anyway.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Archived